Lexington KY Reef Stores?

crabfan

I'm so excited to see a few people from Lexington saying hello!

I lived in Lexington for a couple years in the late 80's, and at that time there were some rocking stores.

There was a fantastic shop off Tate's Creek with about a 300 gallon show tank behind the salescounter (seems like it was called Landsdowne Pets?), one over at Man-O-War & Tate's Creek (forget the name - but it was pretty tight), and a good one starting up over on Nicholasville.

A few years ago I drove around town, and only found the Man-O-War one still running. I walked in to look around and it seemed that the saltwater section was pretty weak.

So what is the scene like in lexington these days? Any shops worth checking out (that specialize in saltwater stuff) and that are must-see's?

Even though I'm a couple hours East, I pass through Lexington fairly often on business.

Cincy?

Cincy?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9517100#post9517100 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CorbetJackson50
lexington pretty much sucks for reef shops IME. I always go to cincy

Thats exactly what I was afraid of. :-(

I didn't even think Cincy had too much going on. A few years ago I was up there for a few days and made it around to several different stores. Most were actually pretty darn disappointing.

So what shops are worthwhile in the Cincy area?

wet pets is by far my favorite, monfort aquarium and supply's, aquatics and exotics, and world of pets in florence ky are all good stores, wet pets is very very nice, but for some reason he never has much as far as zoa's, or sps.

www.cincyreef.com has a complete list which some i have never been too.

Cincy

Cincy

MANY years ago (maybe early 90's) someone told me about a place called House of Tropicals on River Road. I just looked on the website you referenced, and was surprised to see it is still listed. On your next trip you might want to stick your head in there and take a look.

It was a very bare bones shop - most tanks on cinder block stands - but their livestock left me weak in the knees. Unfortunately, so did the prices (which to me were more jaw dropping than the livestock).

Again...this was maybe 15 years ago - and I never bothered to go back due to the prices.

i have been there and was very disapointed every one of their tanks was covered with aptasia and cyano. Allthough if you want pirhana they had plenty of those. Allthough they did have very good deals on tanks and had lots of used tanks and equioment.

no i have never been yourself? i am just now to the pint where i can frag corals, because i bought mostly frags from the start. I would like to go!

Back