Long Island LFS information list

Tropical Island is still, by far, the best place to go. I've had excellent luck with fish from his store. They all just look healthier. Plus, Mike has one of the few LFS sale tanks that can keep colored up SPS long-term.

I don't know if anyone has checked it out but there a LFS on sunrise highway in lynbrook called Total Aquariums. Went in the other day and was pleasantly surprised. Decent fish selection, nems, inverts, 2 big coral tanks with 10$ frags to high end pieces. There was one big half dead elegance but all in all pretty nice store!

Went to Tropical Showcase in Hicksville for the 1st time this morning. Decent selection of fish. No Frags, just a small select amount of medium to large pieces. Comparable to BTJs. Fish prices were out of this world. Higher than Country Critters, and Pets-Warehouse. 4x the amount of aqua-hut. Worth a look if in the area, but not worth a far trip. helpful and nice staff.

Tropical Island is still, by far, the best place to go. I've had excellent luck with fish from his store. They all just look healthier. Plus, Mike has one of the few LFS sale tanks that can keep colored up SPS long-term.

I stopped in there on Wed to see what they had as i am getting ready to purchase a tank. I was very impressed with the selection of fish and frags.

Thanks for the list!

Thanks for the list!

Thank you OP for this list. I've just started on a new setup and have been on RC for a few weeks reading a ton of info. It wasn't until today that I discovered there are local community forums, including clubs as well!
So far i've visited Aquarium Village and Tropical Showcase. I thought that TS had a great selection but had no idea about the prices. I figure I have a few weeks more before I add my first fish, so I will check out the other places that are close by.

Thanks!

dead fish in tanks ???

dead fish in tanks ???

:eek1: I dont get it. I worked in tropical fish stores from 9 years old until I was 20 , and every manager told us to collect the dead fish each morning prior to opening. If there are dead fish in the tanks then the owner is absent or the managers suck .

Tropical Island got me back into the hobby a month ago after a hiatus since 2006 when I left Florida. Best prices, knowledgeable staff (Andrew knows my tank and what's good for it or not) and very clean, healthy livestock. The guy in Hicksville has exorbitant prices for his fish. Not sure how he justifies that. Almost 100% markup on some stuff.

Is it possible we can get an updated list of LFS compiled in the original post? Going through 11 pages is not easy, and several stores listed in first post has closed (Pets of New Hyde Park is one.. the other is Suffolk County Fish and Reef)

A new reef shop just opened up in huntington station on 110 across from the mall called fishlifeaquariums, looks like it has potential to be a good one.

theres also one right around the coner on jericho turnpike called aquarium design network. Hes starting to get a lot more frags in and redoing a bunch of tanks

Yeah like an subfolder with individual stores and then reviews of each. Then the moderators can eliminate closed stores. And then there will be updated info on each. I'm no programmer though.

Is there a person who could please direct me toward a reputable lfs in eastern suffolk county? I have read about the Tropical Island Aquarium crew in Deer Park thanks to this thread, but that is still a good 45 minutes away from where I am located. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you for your time.

Caribbean blue aquatics in bayshore BLOWS AWAY every other store on the island. I literally stopped going elsewhere. Large selection of corals & fish & supplies, all for the best price around, it's located in bayshore on the south side of sunrise highway across from the mall

Caribbean blue aquatics in bayshore BLOWS AWAY every other store on the island. I literally stopped going elsewhere. Large selection of corals & fish & supplies, all for the best price around, it's located in bayshore on the south side of sunrise highway across from the mall

I don't agree with this. all the sps tanks are always brown. the place was a wreck last year when the guy dom was ripping everyone off. since he got the boot and started working at country critters CBA has gotten cheaper, but I never leave with anything.

tropical island in deer park ALWAYS has great coral and fish. if they don't have it they are more than happy to order it for you. the staff is great, friendly, and they all really know what they're talking about. GREAT store!

Back