Macro Algae DT thoughts

SWgamma

I have a BC14 that I purchased and has been a one-owner and is like new condition. I am thinking of turning it into all macro algae tank and wonder if anyone local (Knoxville, Smoky Mtns) has any experience with this? :twitch:

Like a refugium or a saltwater planted tank? What macros are you planning upon keeping?

Yes I would like to do a DT only have it mostly macro algae - I've seen some display regufuiums that are gorgeous for color and mostly macro algae in them. I have done some research on this and would love to make my BC14 or BC29 into one of these. I love the mostly red branching macros and some purples. I have found a site that explains all the different types but wondered if anyone local had tried this.

There used to be a girl in this club who was seriously *into* macroalgae. She had many different kinds but most of the people around Knoxville don't have anything out of the ordinary.

Well I'll be doing more research on it and hopefully within a month or so can get it started. Hope to be at your next meeting :0) Would love to join the ETRC !

Mel, are you talking about the lady that lived in Oak Ridge? She had a couple tanks with really cool macros. I think she got completely out. She was kinda like Cee with his "secrete" coral suppliers. I think she got a lot of stuff from Reef Cleaners. They have a pretty good variety and are really helpful.
Seems like there might have been someone in MTRC that she traded with on a regular basis. Might want to check there if you want local.

Thanks for the info Wildman :0) I have ordered from John at Reef Cleaners and is wonderful to deal with. I did order a couple of cheap macros from him for my RSM130 but as John predicted my Mex Turbo devoured those in a day :0) LiveAquaia seems to have some nice looking macroalgae too.

Mel, are you talking about the lady that lived in Oak Ridge? She had a couple tanks with really cool macros. I think she got completely out. She was kinda like Cee with his "secrete" coral suppliers. I think she got a lot of stuff from Reef Cleaners. They have a pretty good variety and are really helpful.
Seems like there might have been someone in MTRC that she traded with on a regular basis. Might want to check there if you want local.

I harbor no secrets. If you see something I have that you'd like, just ask. I'm more than happy to divulge my sources if they approve LOL. I think Lisa and her mom are out of the hobby as well but she did have some sweet macroalgaes!

I harbor no secrets. If you see something I have that you'd like, just ask. I'm more than happy to divulge my sources if they approve LOL.

Will do once my tank is stable. I figure it is about established relationships more than secretes.

Lisa sounds right. She had very thick, very long blond hair (really pretty hair) and that was her specialty...macro algae. I got some really neat ones from her at one point. But yeah...she's completely out. I wasn't really suggesting he could get some algae from her. I was just more commenting that there was once a girl here who loved algae.

I am putting together a Reeftopia order and they sell a few macros. If you are interested in any, let me know and I'll add them to the order.

Back