Metasepia pfefferi (flamboyant cuttlefish)?

What would a good price be for an adult. Local pet shop ordered and might be getting in on Monday. (just doing my research)

Update please! I will be amazed if you are able to get one through you LFS! I have only seen one offered for sale, ever, and it was already going into senesence. The guy was asking like $600. What a crook. Good luck in your endeavor. I would love to hear if you were able to find one and what you paid.

Don't they only live for about a year? I wouldn't buy an adult cuttlefish knowing it would die any day, let alone at that price D: correct me if I'm wrong. I love flamboyants though, they're incredible creatures

They are remarkable in several ways. First their incredible threat coloration and secondly their lethal venom. But they are not aggressive and very small so I was wondering about aquariums for them. I spent a fair amount of time taking pictures of them mating (at dawn) which is a real hoot.

I saw one of the wholesalers had some not too long ago on facebook. Wanted to ask my LFS to check on them, but I know it was a bad idea to even think of it. I can wait till they are available as CB at a affordable price someday...

Look on tonmo, they have a lot of good info on cephs. From what I've read, WC specimens are incredibly hard to keep and short lived. The dwarf Sepia cuttlefish is a better option.

Coralimports.com has them! But they're deathely poisonus, so be careful!

Yeah as a rule nothing from your reef tank should go in your mouth. They are poisonous, but not venomous (to humans, to an arthropod they are), and they don't secret their poison but contain it within their flesh. Don't eat them and you'll never notice that they are poisonous.

Yeah as a rule nothing from your reef tank should go in your mouth. They are poisonous, but not venomous (to humans, to an arthropod they are), and they don't secret their poison but contain it within their flesh. Don't eat them and you'll never notice that they are poisonous.

but what you do have to worry about is when they die or get injured they secret the toxin into the water column.

I remember Dr. caldwell had a blue ring die and it poisoned the tank, and poisoned him when he reached in (he had a name for the condition but i forget it.).

I heard Monterey Bay Aquarium has closed the life cycle, but they are only available for research institutions I think. You might be able to email their cephalopod people there.

The Atlanta Aquarium has several in a tank maybe 50 gallons or so, as well as another type of cuttle and a couple of octopi. Might be worth contacting them as well.

Back