My $75 fish snack

reefing102

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
Premium Member
Gotta love when you buy things for your tank that end up being food. That said, bought a bunch of snails for a clean up crew boost from ReefCleaners. Everything arrived alive, and has subsequently mostly been decimated by my red line wrasse. Funny part is it leaves my larger snails alone, but theses slightly smaller snails were quickly made snacks. Guess I gotta go turbos next time. Might just buy a few from Petco and see how they do. Good news is the limpets and emerald crabs are doing fine

So far the red line has taken out:

2 of the 3 Trochus snails
8 of the 10 Dwarf Trochus
6 of the 10 Astrea

That wasn’t the whole order, but some of the order went to my other tanks

Gotta love when you buy things for your tank that end up being food. That said, bought a bunch of snails for a clean up crew boost from ReefCleaners. Everything arrived alive, and has subsequently mostly been decimated by my red line wrasse. Funny part is it leaves my larger snails alone, but theses slightly smaller snails were quickly made snacks. Guess I gotta go turbos next time. Might just buy a few from Petco and see how they do. Good news is the limpets and emerald crabs are doing fine

So far the red line has taken out:

2 of the 3 Trochus snails
8 of the 10 Dwarf Trochus
6 of the 10 Astrea

That wasn’t the whole order, but some of the order went to my other tanks
Wrasse gonna wrasse.

When I kept fresh water many years ago, I had a mixed tank of community fish with an arowana. After a couple years the arowana was about 18 inches long and realized one day that all his friends fit in his mouth.

It happens. Though I will say I wasn’t expecting it as he’s left the current occupants alone. Oh well.

Thanks guys! That’s just part of the hobby unfortunately. Lesson learned though!

DFEC9217-A42E-4E3F-9B92-CAA26D075308.jpeg

Here’s the culprit - Halichoeres biocellatus. It’s a crappy pic as he won’t stop moving when you’re up near the tank

And in the background you can see why I ordered the snails lol

I wouldn't have thought he would eat snails.
He’s about 3 -4 inches. He flips them over then attacks them. The Halichoeres (typically good for flatworms and such) can also be not so clean up crew friendly.

My melanurus wrasse attempts to annihilate anything that drops into the top of the tank. I learned the hard way when I released a $40 Fire Shrimp and he hit it like a lightening bolt. I have to strategically place snails into the tank in a way that their body is not exposed. If not, he'll snatch it and hit it against a rock to tear it into pieces. They quickly learn not to graze during light when he's out of the sandbed on the prowl. I knew these wrasses are voracious eaters, but was surprised by the aggression. He doesn't bother hermits as long as they are on the rocks.

My melanurus wrasse attempts to annihilate anything that drops into the top of the tank. I learned the hard way when I released a $40 Fire Shrimp and he hit it like a lightening bolt. I have to strategically place snails into the tank in a way that their body is not exposed. If not, he'll snatch it and hit it against a rock to tear it into pieces. They quickly learn not to graze during light when he's out of the sandbed on the prowl. I knew these wrasses are voracious eaters, but was surprised by the aggression. He doesn't bother hermits as long as they are on the rocks.
My melanurus was the same before he died

The only tee I really remember & I have no picture as there were no cell phones then had a picture of freshwater angels.
The caption read: Spawn Till You Die!

Back