NCPARS School Tank

Sorry to hear about your bad experience Mary. Other than inexperience causing problems, I haven't (knock on wood) dealt with an utter refusal to take care of the tank.

The tank may be "safe" for donations, but I was going to give it a little while to make sure nothing else was going to go wrong (Murphy's Law and all that). Right now there are two people over the summer taking care of it, but few who would really be enjoying the new corals anyway. I was thinking it might just be easier to wait until the Fall swap to collect donations. It wouldn't require any extra trips, plus by then we can be sure we're back on track with some consistency. If the swap won't work for anyone that wants to make a donation, I can always make other arrangements.

Thanks guys. Our purpose in sharing was to let everyone know what happened so that it can be avoided in the future with other school tank projects.
Larry's words certainly sum up how Carl and I feel!

Hey what can you do. Mary and I gave and did what we could.

You need to have the daily support to maintain the energy and excitement. The office ladies are super great at this school!! They did everything they could also and saw their efforts go wasted.

The club now has some equipment that can be donated to new projects. The korilla pumps are in great shape and the T5 retro kit is still mounted to the hood I made. The reflectors are in good shape but it probably time to change the bulbs.

Carl

Mary, Carl and Dyan have put a lot of time and effort into their tank projects. All three are correct that someone has to be responsible for the school tanks every day of the year. Just as home hobbyists look at their tanks every day and have someone responsible check on the tanks when on vacation, so too must the school tanks have someone knowledgeable look in on things every day.

I just updated my site with some pictures showing the work I did over the summer. I took the pictures late last night so the fish are mostly hiding and the coral are all closed up but they're better than nothing. You can see just how large our project has become.

Our tanks are right in the middle of the school in the hub where most hallways converge to one point. They really have become a focal point for the school and are a landmark for people try to navigate our complex 620,000 square foot building.

Jen and I are in constant need of supplies to keep this project going. We set up a big frag tank this summer and are working on doing some serious propagation.

Visit the page at www.mrflint.com/fish

Fantastic job Larry. Everything looks great. I bet that's something the school is really proud of.
Well Done!

Contribution

Contribution

If anyone is still helping the schools out I can donate corals and perhaps some equiupment.

I have a lot of corals I have cultured which I can donate (soft-SPS).

I will see what equipment I have.

I live in Indiana, PA but will travel or meet someone.

Let me know, I would love to help out.

Brett Robinson

We have two school projects under way at Bloomsburg High School and Williamsport Area High School. I take care of the tanks at Williamsport and another club member takes of the tanks at Bloomsburg. Both projects are managed by teachers who are also club members. We recently added some coral propagation tanks and upgraded equipment at both schools so we're pretty set on equipment. We're certainly looking for livestock to fill the tanks out. If you have spare equipment that might be useful to us then let me know and I'll see if it can meet any of our needs. I am more than willing to drive to your place to pick up any livestock and equipment donations that you are offering. Can we wait until school is out - after June 11th. Thanks a million!

-Larry Flint

School Tanks

School Tanks

Whenever works best for you.

You can come here or I can meet you.

I can provide a variety of corals for them.

Brett Robinson

You can see a few pictures of the Williamsport project at:

www.mrflint.com/fish

The NCPARS Board is working on redesigning the entire NCPARS site and pictures of the Tanks in Schools program will be a top priority. A few weeks and we'll have lots of eye candy.

I just updated the Tanks in Schools portion of the NCPARS web site at NCPARS.org

Please visit the site to see the status of our many tanks across Pennsylvania.

The Children's Home of Reading tank installation is coming up soon. We'll post pictures of that project as soon as we can. Hope to see you all at Williamsport Area High School for our April 2011 swap! See our largest project in action...

Larry do you have any school tank updates for us? It has been awhile since we have seen or heard anything in this useful thread.

Could you post some eyecandy for us to drool over or some new equipment that the school systems have changed to?

We're adding a 110 gallon reef to Dwayne Kalinay's classroom at Lake Lehman High School just in time for the new school year. He already has a 90 gallon reef and this new tank will allow him to keep a wider variety of coral and fish. Dwayne does a great job and has a veritable zoo in his room.

We're also working with a Tony Beyer who is setting up a 90 gallon reef at Walnut Street Christian School in Avis, PA. His son attends the school and he's going to look after the tank in the school's foyer. We'll provide coral, live rock and equipment to help support the program.

I'm working on a video that highlights the Williamsport Area High School project. We have some other big changes planned for this fall with the support of NCPARS and a local community foundation.

Stay tuned!

Thank you to Larry and NCPARS for their help in setting up the new aquarium at Walnut Street Christian School.
Friday night, Larry and his wife brought a load of water, rock, sand, corals, and a few fish to the school and we loaded up the aquarium.
Everything went very smoothly.
I'll post a few more pictures soon.

http://ncpars.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=65&Itemid=89

Here are the students as they enter this morning and see the aquarium for the first time.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EDvvyHB7NmU?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

533600_635839579764862_526901722_n.jpg

534937_635841236431363_1725898164_n.jpg

Tanks in Schools Program

A leader in school reef aquariums

Reef Conservation Society members establish and maintain reef aquaria in schools throughout Pennsylvania. In some cases schools provide generous financial support for the aquarium setup. In others cases we are able to place tanks with support from generous donors. We welcome your support of our existing tanks and future tanks. If you are interested in learning how to start a tank program in your area please contact Larry Flint, Vice President of Education at chemtchr@yahoo.com.

Directory of schools

Williamsport Area High School (Williamsport, Pennsylvania)

Our program's main system with over 1100 gallons of display reefs in four locations, a coral propagation system and fish breeding program.

Williamsport Area High School.

Barbizon School (Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania)

90 gallon reef aquarium

Bloomsburg Area High School (Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania)

120 gallon reef aquarium

Children's Home of Reading (Reading, Pennsylvania)

90 gallon reef aquarium.

Ebner Elementary School (Altoon, Pennsylvania)

55 gallon reef aquarium in a main hallway. Installed in the summer of 2012.

Gettysburg College (Gettysburg, Pennsylvania)

Gettysburg College maintains a 150 gallon reef aquarium in one of their science buildings. We were able to help stock the tank with coral grown in the Williamsport Area High School system and from member donations. Christian Newmann is a student at Gettysburg College and a volunteer who donates his time maintaining their tank. Before Christian's involvement, the tank was in bad shape with lots of aiptasia and hair algae. His dedication to making their tank look great has allowed our club to reach out to college level students.

Lake-Lehman High School (Lehman, Pennsylvania)

65 gallon, 90 gallon and 110 gallon reef aquariums

Lycoming Valley Middle School (Williamsport, Pennsylvania)

180 gallon reef aquarium.

Northwest Area High School (Shickshinny, Pennsylvania)

120 gallon reef aquarium.

Walnut Street School (Avis, Pennsylvania)

90 gallon reef aquarium.

Hello,
Would any of the tanks in the school program like to have a strawberry dottyback? I have one but he is too aggresive for my small 34g tank and I will donate him if there is a suitable home.

PM me if interested and we can work out the details.

My son just started 1st grade at walnut at Christian school, I was in there looking at the tank, great job guys and gals, also I want to offer my services to help take care of the tank if need be, send me a pm if any help is needed.

Back