NZ 2 Gallon Pico Reef

yardboy - The flow from the HOB seems to be pretty good, if I went any bigger I would have to put a small PH at the back of the rockwork to circulate the dead areas. I think I'll raise the HOB slightly to give a little boost to the flow.

TCU Reefer - Coral should hopefully be going in this w/e. Funnily enough - in my area of New Zealand (Wellington) there isn't really an abundance of LFS (i.e. none), and we pay a lot more for Coral. Saying that, New Zealanders seem to have a natural instinct to help people out - so you'll always have someone sorting you out with frags.

talksalt - Go for it. You have much greater satisfaction from building something from scratch. I'm always fiddling with something, I love it. This tank hood and base is suprisingly simple - I just glued it together (clamped) - and then used a stain and oil. The danish oil gives a beautiful finish.

kick a** job on the stand. let's see a pic of the back with the filter. did you put live rock in there. or are you just using the filter as it came?

Thanks - I'll take a pic of the back once I've finished the mods off, In the HOB I have Pho-Zorb, Live Rock, and half a sponge that I change every week.

Here's some updated shots, I will take some more this week as I have a few more additions.

51245698.21_cabinet.jpg

51245671.20_fullshot_02.jpg

The Mushrooms are looking great and the leather is already branching out - It'll have to be fragged down soon.

51245704.22_mush_leath.jpg

The Yellow Polps are spreading out nicely, They are starting to interweave with the rock which is looking very natural.

51245715.23_yell_polps.jpg

I've left these small guys to attach themselves to some small rocks so I can attach them in place in a few weeks.

51245764.24_small_mush.jpg

I love this tank! Your shrooms are nice...IME yellow polyps like that can get quite invasive/aggressive in a small space. Since they are such active feeders, I would try to place them on an isolated cluster of sm. rocks in the sand. W/ the proper nutrition, they will quickly overgrow the sm rocks, & you can trade for other frags. Where'd the rock come from?

Yellow Polyps

Yellow Polyps

This is true... we had a baseball size rock in the 75 gallon reef at work, as soon as we added the MH lighting that and the pulsing zenia's grew out of control... Frags are not a problem :)

Thanks for the comments guys. The yellow polps are growing in quite quickly, but I think I'll box them in around a few other corals and crop them when they get out of hand.

The Rock is half Fiji LR and the piece on the right is from a beach in Rarotonga. I found it when I was on vacation

wow, those LED's are pretty bright. Look more like actinics... :D
I just stuck one in my 40 gallon, and it has a really cool effect when all the lights are out, because you actually get some glitter lines from it. It looks a little like a spotlight; you can highlight various corals/parts of the tank. I'm just a little suspisious of the sharp spectrum those LED's put out. Nothing natural, that's for sure, but it's usually so dim it doesnt matter.

I really like the stain you used, very good woodwork. Which brand/color did you use? Do you have to prime the wood first somehow?

Thanks tankslave - the woodstain is a New Zealand brand, so I don't think you'll be able to get it - but it's just a regular stain, applied after a good sanding. I finished it off with Danish oil rather than a poly-Varnish which accounts for the smooth satin finish.

Hi Mork, i PMed you but i figured you might not check it :p (i ALWAYS forget myself :p)...

I just wondered where you got your lights from, i'm in Sydney myself and have never seen anything like them really yet but i am interested in setting up a nano shortly i hope.

They look pretty nifty.

Thanks,

Alucrep

Nice tank! I like the woodwork.
I was drawing something out that looks like that but extends past the back about 3 & 1/2 inches and had side doors to access the components in the back.

It's all looking a bit yellow at the moment due to the temporary use of a 6500k bulb - my 10000k will be in soon.

Back