o2manyfish 750g Tank, 1500g System "Built" Thread

Hugo,

Having an entirely open top with no bracing is really nice. I had a 3" Acrylic lip put around the top of the tank to keep the steel frame from being in contact in the water. I definitely recommend the lip. When you are working in the tank it prevents splashing the water out of the tank.

Also make sure that the frame is properly powdercoated to protect it from rusting.

Dave B

Good point about the lip, I'm going to let know Aaron from SPS Corals about that because he's going to Made the Stail steel brace and also he's going to orden my new tank

Danfeig,

Thanks buddy. Now I just need to find the motivation to clean up all the exterior system so it has some semblance of organization. I need to build a fish room like you. But I am so lazy an spill so much water I need it to all be outside.

Dave B

A Fish Room??? Or do you and the chiquita need to soon consider a "baby room" or nursery??? You do have a girlfriend that likes to talk "fish!" Those are hard to come by!!!

O2manyfish -- How do you like the Axis?

I just got one and it should be here today. Should I have gotten a different one? What do you recommend?

OK, I officially feel ancient because I very distinctively remember your tank, your set up, and the entire build up process from way back then. Looking fantastic. Give you all the props in the world for having stuck with it unlike a lot of us that for one reason or another had to put things up on a shelf.

O2manyfish -- How do you like the Axis?

I just got one and it should be here today. Should I have gotten a different one? What do you recommend?

The Axis is a great camera. The only gripe I have of it over the prior Canon VB-10. Is that the Canon had public access, and then you could log in as an admin and have full control of the camera. With the Axis it has somthing like 230 degrees of rotation and 160 degrees of tilt. But I have the view limited to just the tank, so peeps like my buddy Dan don't watch me and the Chiquita watching tv in the next room :). With the Canon I could limit the public to view the tank, but when I logged on I could then move the camera to looking into the next couple of rooms to check on my dogs (or the chiquita).

Since most people don't leave their cameras open for public viewing it's not a consideration.

I have had a webcam up for so long, and on occasion I check the logs and it's great to see people that check on the tank from all over the world.

Other than the limited view, it's a great camera, I am sure you will be very happy with your purchase.

Dave B

OK, I officially feel ancient because I very distinctively remember your tank, your set up, and the entire build up process from way back then. Looking fantastic. Give you all the props in the world for having stuck with it unlike a lot of us that for one reason or another had to put things up on a shelf.

I remember you as well! I did put it on the shelf for a couple of years. I had to walk away from it. As the economy drop just didn't allow me to try to restock as I wanted too, and I just didn't want to look at it. So it sat with water, and algae covered glass for awhile before I was ready to give it what it needed.

From your posting, does that mean your tank is shelved or is it still up and running?

Dave B

Ohh so you set up the global 'limit view' on the camera. I thought you had it set to public vs private also.

Hummm....

Anything else that would be better? Why did you switch out of the canon then?

Ohh so you set up the global 'limit view' on the camera. I thought you had it set to public vs private also.

Hummm....

Anything else that would be better? Why did you switch out of the canon then?

The Axis 214 has been around a long time, and it works. A newer model might have newer software and allow for public vs private. They haven't had a firmware update for the 214 in over 4 years I think, and it's still a current model.

Their customer service is a little lacking. I wanted to embed the user interface into a web page so I could give people a web address rather than an IP address and they couldn't help. But I managed to solve that problem on my own.

The camera itself does has some editable web pages built into it, but there doesn't seem to be a way to build a custom webcam page with just the image and the controls.

The reason I upgraded from the Canon was the Canon only had a 10x zoom, and the Axis had the IR viewing for at night.

Dave B

Yeah all the points I brought up when I was looking too. I dont really like the digital zoom's and the optical was MUCH better than some others.

Mine should be here today. So I will find out this weekend.

This is great. The reality of saltwater fish keeping. In the beginning I had my times where I was also fustrated,and said fuk it I'm giving up. Or will just walk away from the tank for a couple of days etc,etc. In those early days, I used to just drop fish in my display tank too. Didn't quarantine..

I've been in this hobby since the late 80's. It's great seeing some of your old skool pics/equiptment. Sanders was the chit back then. Had one of their ozonizers,and air driven skimmers with the wood airstone/diffuser.. :D

Funny thing @o2manyfish.

I got my webcamera in today. I was showing my 18yo what it was and what I wanted to do. He had a questioned look on his face. So I brought up your camera. I was showing what it could do and saw that you had updated your camera page.

Like it huh??

And.. while we were sitting there zooming in/out on the non-reflective part, you went walking by. Funny...

I remember you as well! I did put it on the shelf for a couple of years. I had to walk away from it. As the economy drop just didn't allow me to try to restock as I wanted too, and I just didn't want to look at it. So it sat with water, and algae covered glass for awhile before I was ready to give it what it needed.

From your posting, does that mean your tank is shelved or is it still up and running?

Dave B

I actually sold my tank about a year ago after paying for it 15 times over in storage unit fees:debi::debi: Just refused to sell it, but had to come to terms with it. I did keep all the equipment, which now is holding hostage half of my garage. I may set something up not as big in the future. Something like 360G or so. The thing is that if I do this again, it will have to be as energy efficient as possible. The least amount of pumps possible to run everything, use of gravity as much as possible, solar for lighting and LED for color, no chiller, etc. The moment I have the ideal space and place for it, I will do it.

Funny thing @o2manyfish.

I got my webcamera in today. I was showing my 18yo what it was and what I wanted to do. He had a questioned look on his face. So I brought up your camera. I was showing what it could do and saw that you had updated your camera page.

Like it huh??

And.. while we were sitting there zooming in/out on the non-reflective part, you went walking by. Funny...

Catching me on camera is no big deal, it's late at night when I go to let the dogs out that you might be surprised by what you see.

So where do we find the link to view your camera? :)

Dave B

It is not up yet. It is still sitting on my desk.

I have to get a small hub and a longer network cable to put it in the place it needs to go. Just wait. It will be up tomorrow night.

A Fish Room??? Or do you and the chiquita need to soon consider a "baby room" or nursery??? You do have a girlfriend that likes to talk "fish!" Those are hard to come by!!!

Sure poke the bear.... LOL

Dan I have a fish room, game room, theater room, guest room, laundry room and treadmill room (which I obviously don't use). The chiquita and I have all the rooms we need. At this point in my life my 'babies' are very old puppies, a parrot, and colorful sticks - All of which I can ignore for a day or two if the mood strikes me. No more responsibilities :)

Besides, if I were to breed now, I have to wait like 13 years till my off spring is strong enough to carry a 200g salt mix box into the yard to help with the tank. I don't have that kind of patience.

The girlfriend loves the fish tank. She has access to the webcam from her phone and watches it all day long. She doesn't care about the names of the corals or even the colors. She picked out her Achilles tang, over a year ago, but doesn't remember it's name. I got her a Red Sea Regal, which she doesn't care about. She loves her firefish. So while she doesn't talk fish she is very supportive of all the reef club meetings, fish store visits, fish conversations and strange fish geeks stopping by the house all the time. And any time I want to sit on the couch in front of the tank, she is ready to sit and watch as well.

Hopefully next month you'll get to come out and visit and meet her :)

Dave B

man,what a journey you had.!!...quite inspiring i say...:thumbsup:

any picture of your golden dwarf pair..?

any picture of your golden dwarf pair..?

Getting a photo of them is impossible. The larger Golden is usually only visible during the day with the lights off in the tank. And then once the larger picks at something on a rock and then swims back into the rock the smaller one follows it into the next hole.

So the smaller one is always following, and seldom exposes itself from the rocks, and only does when the larger is going to the next opening.

The smaller one is a dark dark color. The larger one is much brighter red.

Dave B

Back