OG coral ID

discotu

Discotu
I got this a while back and was told it circulated through the OG socal RC crowd. Hoping someone recognizes it. I'll give you a nice chunk if you do!

Thanks!

1000005747.jpg

1000005746.jpg

I'm having trouble accessing AIMS data site right now. If I still can't access it later, I'll get out my Veron books tonight and try to give a guess at an ID. Obviously, this is a tabling Acropora species of some sort, and a gorgeous one at that.

Without actually being able to look at the skeletal corallite structure, you really can’t positively ID Acros. We can only give our best guess.

So, one of the problems we have these days (IMO) IDing Acros from Veron is the use of LED lighting. This really changes the color of the corals in aquariums using LED.

That said, I’m leaning towards A. Cytherea or A. Aculeas as Shane mentioned.

I am leaning towards A. Aculeus based on the growth pattern. What's fascinating is the growth tips are light blue and the lighter margin behind it glows because the light actually penetrates the coral. I imagine because the pigment hasn't fully developed and isn't as dense. Makes the color pop even more.

810_7419.JPG

Back