ReefFlux - Bryopsis and Bubble Algae Journey

reefing102

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
Premium Member
So quite a while ago I got bryopsis. I’ve been slacking on treating it as it’s been growing out of the way of everything. Well now it’s starting to encroach on my corals.

I also see it may work on bubble algae just a longer dose or possibly two doses. I’ve always had bubble algae but alas it’s getting out of hand as well.

So last night I ordered 7000mg of ReefFlux off Amazon. I’ll be taking some before and after pics when I comes in.

Since I have quite a bit, I’ll be watching closely for ill effects and, if necessary, do a water change before the treatment is completed with treated SW to not interrupt anything. I’ll also go through and try to remove what I can manually first.

Thanks for looking!

I thought the bubble algae dose was 80mg/gal instead of 20. I'm not sure I'm that brave.

ReefFlux came in today. Pre mixed and it clumped up pretty good so hopefully it works. I dosed 1500mg to include sump volume. I did not take displacement into account, just used exact tank size plus approximate current sump volume.

There is regular hair algae mixed in this as well, but hopefully the bryopsis is taken care of as that’s the main concern.

[sarcasm]Shout out to Amazon for amazing sticker placement[/sarcasm]

4_IMG_1013.jpeg

The mixing with magnetic stirrer:

5_IMG_1014.jpeg

Day 1:
0_IMG_1009.jpeg

1_IMG_1010.jpeg

2_IMG_1011.jpeg

3_IMG_1012.jpeg

FWIW, when I treated for Bryopsis, I had a bit of hair algae too and the fluconazole knocked it out was well.

Day 2 has been interesting. My green stag has a burnt tip, so not sure if a piece of ReefFlux landed directly on it or what may have happened, but it is new since dosing. That said, there’s not marked improvement yet (seems day 4/5 is the biggest change) though I can see some white forming on some of the bryopsis and and parts are definitely starting to lighten up.

Day 2:
0_IMG_1021.jpeg

6_IMG_1024.jpeg

0_1_IMG_1025.jpeg

5_IMG_1026.jpeg

2_IMG_1027.jpeg

3_IMG_1028.jpeg

4_IMG_1029.jpeg

Weird about the stag. It didn't have any effect on my Acros. So, I think you may be onto something thinking some of the ReefLux landed directly on it.

Missed Day 3 photos but Day 4 photos are in and quite the improvement in my opinion. I need to frag that tip, as it slowing moving down the coral.
IMG_1051.jpeg

IMG_1052.jpeg

IMG_1053.jpeg

IMG_1054.jpeg

IMG_1055.jpeg

One thing is I’ve seen a marked increase in other “nuisance” algaes.

Just a quick update. No photos but significant impact so far. Thin spots are practically cleared up. The heavier patches are slowly dying

Alright, so I’ve lost track of what day I’m on, and being at my job and not working from home, no pic update, but I must say, side benefit. There’s been significant impact to my bubble algae as well. Now the interesting thing is my bubble algae primarily grows in an extremely high flow area (the powerhead is less than 2 inches from the rock at full blast (around 2500 GPH) and there’s been significant reduction since I started this treatment. Not sure if the high flow is affecting it faster but I thought I read bubble algae tended to take a bit of time compared to bryopsis

Back