OneReef's 120g DreamReef

sps1-1_zpsd382ed2b.jpg

birdnest_zps72e67d22.jpg

montis_zps8fe60802.jpg

anthias_zpsccf145d9.jpg

stag1-1_zps41369c41.jpg

undata_zps167dcabd.jpg

I think the tank is doing pretty well considering everything in it is pretty new since the big crash several months ago..... Had to kinda start over.... :(

tank2_zpsce2f8f47.jpg

Last edited:
It's looking outstanding. Great looking tank. I'm using it for inspiration on my new 150g I'm getting on Saturday. Hopefully it'll look a 1/4 of what yours does.

Looks great. I got to see it in person it is incredible!

Hey Jay. What is the yellow fish in your tank?

It is a juvenile Orange shoulder tang. I had hoped he would eat the small spots of hair algae, it he seems to be ignoring them. He has been eating on a small spot of caleurpa macro alge that sprouted up out of nowhere.

I haven't messed with LED's but i went from t5's to metal halide on a 29g and it showed vast improvements almost instantly..i'm definitely a believer!

what fixture did you buy? bulb? and color temp? I have a 33 and have been debating other lighting options

Not much going on in my tank lately, just been doing water changes, feeding the fish, and nothing else. Haven't added anything in many months. Just letting it grow. On that front, I noticed that for as long as I have just left my tank alone to grow the last few months, things have not grown very much. I didn't give it a lot of thought, kinda chalked it up to me having quit dosing amino acids and coral food out of laziness. But after I thought about how slow things have been going, I looked a bit closer at the matter. Apparently, my CO2 tank had run out. Not sure how long it's been out of gas, but long enough to impact things. I hadn't tested my water specs in months. So I did a quick alk and Ca test. Alk came out at 6.2dkh and Ca at 350. No wonder growth has been slow. Just got my co2 tank filled back up, getting my levels back in order, and I suspect things will take off again.

Tank is looking great Jay,I am trying leds on my 28 to see how I like them.I will keep the mh's on my 75,why mess with a good thing.

nice build I am going to tag along. Do you still like the LED's compared to your MH's you had before? I am hoping to do a 120g and reading on lighting.

nice build I am going to tag along. Do you still like the LED's compared to your MH's you had before? I am hoping to do a 120g and reading on lighting.

The LEDs were good, but I'm back to MH for the time being until the LED market calms down a bit. To many advancements too fast for me to sink much money in LEDs right now. I'll probably go back to LED when the market settles on which spectrum, LEd chip, etc, seem to work best for coral

you going to skim the city with that? lol

Yet another LED user going or gone back to Metal Halide. I have see some great tanks with all kinds of lights but it seems that over and over Metal Halids give the best results time and time again. Other than changing them out every six months they seem to be the best, Can you give me some info on what you MH set up you are running?

you going to skim the city with that? lol

Yet another LED user going or gone back to Metal Halide. I have see some great tanks with all kinds of lights but it seems that over and over Metal Halids give the best results time and time again. Other than changing them out every six months they seem to be the best, Can you give me some info on what you MH set up you are running?

I wish I owned that skimmer, ha. It is truly a piece of art, I hate to see it get dirty once it gets hooked up. You may not notice the other pump behind my leg, but it has TWO Red Dragon pumps. Very nice. It belongs to another alas.

My MH are two dimmable 250w Lumatek ballasts with Radium 20K bulbs. The reflectors are Reef Optix 2 if I remember correctly. I think its all documented in this thread somewhere I hope. I run them for about 6.5 hours. I run two 36" VHOs in the front and back of the canopy, mostly for light before and after my halides are on. The Radiums look so good that you can't even tell when the VHO's are on or off when the halides are on. I'm happy with them. I have alot more evaporation than when I had LED's, but all in all, they work just fine till I find the right LED down the road. Right now, it seems any LED pendants become old news and the "old" model after 6 months on the market. I'll wait a bit.

There seem to be many who have had really good luck with LEDs, but I'm finding that most of those people are not using off the shelf pendants, mostly DIY. But I can't speak from experience, but countless hours of reading and research. I refuse to go back to MH, they work well, but I truly believe LED can be better. Or maybe not, but I'm going all in to find out. :)

There seem to be many who have had really good luck with LEDs, but I'm finding that most of those people are not using off the shelf pendants, mostly DIY. But I can't speak from experience, but countless hours of reading and research. I refuse to go back to MH, they work well, but I truly believe LED can be better. Or maybe not, but I'm going all in to find out. :)

Don't get me wrong, I believe LED or some other new technology is the way of the future. They work very well. And when used properly and in the right color and intensity combination may be as good or better than halides. There are many benefits to them over MH. To me, there is just too much info and confusion over which combo of color spectrums and intensity is best in LEDs right now. They will be back on my tank one day. But it's MH for now for me till I, or the industry, figure it out. I probably still feel a bit let down when I spoke with AI on the phone and they told me the AI SOLs held every spectrum you would need in their white LEDs (red/pink)etc, only for them to release the AI Vegas a few months later, espousing new colors and their benefits. Some manufacturers claim you need UV LEDs, Sanjay says UV is useless. All companies give conflicting info to make theirs seem best. I'll wait. :)

Maybe I missed someone suggesting this, but is it possible the reason you lost all youre corals is the biopellets? At least that would seem most likley and 1st likely..Carbon dosing is dangerous in some senses, with zeovit if you over dose and/or have to much flow in reactor you can start to see signs of STN. just a thought tho..

Maybe I missed someone suggesting this, but is it possible the reason you lost all youre corals is the biopellets? At least that would seem most likley and 1st likely..Carbon dosing is dangerous in some senses, with zeovit if you over dose and/or have to much flow in reactor you can start to see signs of STN. just a thought tho..

Wasn't the pellets, pretty sure it was an alk swing after post analysis

Back