Pedal laceration in Gigantea

I can´t edit my post. Please, find below some new pics.

The anemone seems to recover slowly, he does OK with the lights. Maybe all the bacteria are dead and the infection is halted. The mouth looks closer. No deflation anymore.

img6067d.jpg

img6071v.jpg

img6072w.jpg

img6073u.jpg

img6074m.jpg

I will let him in the bucket with new seawater and antibiotic for one more day. With luck, when returned to the main tank he will be ok. Then I´ll try to take a closer photo of the "false clones?".

It´s amazing that the amonia does not seems to be a problem for him...

Amazing.

I would keep him in quarantine for a little bit longer since he seems to be doing better.

This is the first S. gigantea I have ever seen recover after looking as bad as I have seen in your earlier photos. Let's hope he continues to do well!

Can you share - very specifically - the antibiotic you used? Was it a specific brand name?

Well, the antibiotic is cloramfenicol, I am afraid it is forbiden in the United States, in fact is toxic for humans so even it is no longer used in veterinary. The dosage is 50 mg/l of pure cloramfenicol (white powder)

But there is another antibiotic called enrofloxacin wich can be given with a vet prescription. Some time ago I recovered a H. magnifica with enrofloxacin (In fact, theoretically is more powerfull and modern than cloramfenicol).

Cloramfenicol seems to be only bacteriostatic and enrofloxacim also bactericide.They should not be use together.

It's looking better in those last pics. I'm pulling for you to bring it back to good health. Keep up the good work.

enrofloxacin is sold under the brand name Baytril, right? Very effective in small animals, so I can see the logic (in terms of effectiveness) behind aquatic use.

Hi, the response to the antibiotic has been fantastic!!, also before I returned him to the tank I dosage 5 ml/gal of seachem "reef dip" in the bucket (for just 1minute, because he did not like it), afterwards I took him with my two hands and placed gently in the tank over the rocks.

I noticed an improved capacity of attatching and better mobility. I do not know whenever the battle is won or not, but I feel really happy since it seems that I have recover him!.

This pics were taking haf an hour ago, after placed in the tank. He looks really healthy :fun4:. I will upload a video in some minutes.

img6076l.jpg

img6077i.jpg

img6078l.jpg

img6081c.jpg

img6080m.jpg

Still too soon, but that is really impressive. Wish it was easier to get that antibiotic, sure would be nice to try it and see what would happen.

+1 on antibiotic.. makes me feel like I should have some on hand just in case after seeing this thread

FWIW, as noted above, some of these antibiotics are very toxic to people, so anyone using them must be very careful to not expose themselves. It may not be a DIY for most people. :)

Yes, please, be responsable in the use of antibiotic. Protect yourself and treat used water inactivating the antibiotic before releasing to drains. I will post how to do it tomorrow.

Thanks! I deal with toxic chemicals everyday and may not have noted this antibiotic as hazardous had I not herd it here.. 

Well, the anemone looks great today. I would say he is completly recovered (cross my fingers!). According to Sprung and Delbeek about how to get rid of the old water with the antibiotic:

"Before discarting the old water put 1/2 cup of bleach per five galons of antibiotic laden water, mix and hold for several hours before you discart the solution down the sanitary sewer. The blech will destroy the remaining antibiotic and any resistant bacteria present".

Yes, the "Bayer" commercial name is "Baytril", but it is very expensive. There is a brand called "elhinger" wich makes the product "Elhifloxacino" much more cheaper:

http://www.ehlinger.cl/ehlifloxacino150.html

It is used for dogs.

What is interesting, when I googled "Elhifloxacino" it redirected it, and one of the first links was for "levaquin" which is a fairly strong anti-biotic which I end up having to take about once a year. Wonder if that would be effective -- might even have some in the medicine cabinet.

I found some of the original posts on Enrofloxacin very interesting. I have tried a few times to acclimate a Gigantea to my aquarium without success. Each time the results were similar. The first few days were good, and then slowly over time the anemone would do more and more "water changes" on itself, and eventually turn inside out and die. So I ordered some generic enroflaxacin and waited for a good time where I wasn't traveling to start. The OP has been very helpful and has passed some information/journal articles on to me, as well as asking advice from some of his friends who were experimenting with this treatment on fish. This is what I did:

1). I dosed 5mg/l enroflaxacin in a 5 gallon SW bucket. The anemone was in the bucket and I had a nano koralia for flow, a mini heater, and an airstone.

2). Due to water quality issues I changed the 5 gallons twice daily. I do not feel even this was enough as with each water change the anemone perked up immediately. I read ammonia readings of 1.0 at times.

3). Lighting is important. I started off with ambient room lighting, but soon threw a HO flourescent overhead on the bucket, as in even a few days I witnessed bleaching in the anemone. This was still not enough.

4). I did this for 5 days. I can tell you at the end of the five days the anemone did not look like it was going to make it. So I pu it in my DT, where at the least it wouldn't die in a TM Pro bucket.

The anemone has been in my display for 1 1/2 days now and it is fully expanded and the mouth is closed. I am very surprised. Who knows what the future holds for this anemone. I am not sure what can be gleamed from my experiment, but there it is.

Back