Plumbing an external pump

jmccown

You guys have to forgive me for my noob'ness. I am still collecting "goodies" to set up my 150 reef tank. I was looking at this external pump that has a flow rating of about 4700gph. Here is a pic of it
3724DSC00011.JPG

Was wondering how I could plumb this thing into a wet/dry filter. I have never used an external pump like this, always had submersible. Picture examples are great, worth a million words.

Thanks,
Jason

It sounds like alot of flow going through a wetdry. Im not sure of your exact application so it may be fine. Anyways heres my explanation.

You will have to add a bulkhead to the wetdry so that you can connect your pump. Then from there just use the appropriate plumbing to connect a pipe from the bulkhead to the pump. I would make sure to use unions and valves on both sides of the pump. That way if you need to service the pump you can easily close the valves to 'trap' the water and remove the pump via the unions. Also i would upsize the unions if possible because for whatever reason the plumbing gets downsized in the middle of a union and will restrict flow. I would also suggest using flex pvc if possible because it makes plumbing a WHOLE lot easier, reduces noise, less restrictive, etc... It is more expensive though then PVC/vinyl tubing.

Not exactly what you are asking for but here is a picture of the plumbing on my closed loop for the new tank.
Closedloopshelfredone.jpg

Closedloopplumbing1.jpg

Really the only difference would be the intake of the pump (right pipe) would go into a bulkhead on the wet/dry rather then the bulkhead(bottom) in the tank in my case. The return of the pump would just be plumbed however you want. On my pic it goes to bulkheads (top two) in the tank. Most likely yours would either do the same or just go over the top of the tank.

Before any says anything about my pic i still need to add a valve to the left return so that i can controll the flow between the two returns. Dont want anyone to high jack jasons plumbing quesitons with the specifics of my application :D

Thanks Matt. I got the concept of the return, but now I see the viewpoint of getting enough flow into the unit via the wet/dry. Do these pumps always need to be gravity fed? I currently have a Via-Aqua 3300 which flows 1100 or so gph at 0 head. I have to push upwards of about 6 feet to the rim of my tank, thus flow rate reduces. I want a good amount of flow in my tank, so now I'm think a bigger submersible pump would be my answer...or get a Seio 2600 for placement in the tank.

I would look for intank circulation rather then trying to get it through a wet/dry. Pushing large amounts of water through a sump/wetdry is inefficient IMO. I think using the Seio would be a much better choice then upgrading the return pump.

I have two 1100's in my sump for my 120gal. ( I incorrectly stated in a past post they were 900's) and aslo have a 900 attactched to a SCWD in my overflow, along with two 900 powerjets inside my rocks. I was looking at your pump, looks like our pool pump, I noticed Harbor Frieght has some simular pumps, they have a flow meter on them. I was looking for a pump for my tank I'm going to put the kalk water in for replunishing and so on. Keep us informed please, sounds great. IMO, I don't like the flow from my sump with my two 1100's, doesnt seem to have enough force. If I had a bigger tank I would def. go with two, more powerful pumps, IMO. But I'm new.

The main thing for sizing your pumps is to make sure your drains can handle the amount of flow that it will produce. If you buy a huge pump and your drains cant handle it, buying the pump was a waste of money because you will have to valve it down.

Not knowing what type overflows/megaflows you have as Phillip and Matt said your pump is likely way over rated for your return application. If you are looking at a standard set of overflows your pump is about 3x too much. Probably not good on it backing it down that much.

May want to look for a smaller return pump and use that one on a closed loop.

As for the gravity fed vs. other - you can drop a line into the sump, and run it over the top and back down to an external pump. Once you start the siphon, it will go just fine. I would recommend the bulkhead if possible but it is not a requirement.

You also mentioned a pump submerged in the sump - avoid it if you can. It takes up less space, less of a problem but will add heat, something your MHs will likely do plenty of. If you are going to have a canopy as opposed to hanging lights, heat could easily be an issue for you. Every little bit helps and a large submerged pump is more than just a little bit of heat.

Back