Randy's Q-Tank Article

CincyGida

Randy - Thanks for the great article on quarantine tanks! I believe that I will begin setting up one while I clean up my main tank's oil-slick before I begin populating it with things that actually "swim".

I have one question - is it bad for fish (or anemones) to use a "sterile" tank - new water, no substrate, no nothing - just a powerhead, carbon filter (?), and a heater? You mentioned using a sponge filter that was aged in another tank but is this necessary to QT healthy fish? Is it advisable to get a cycle going first and if so, could I use the raw-shrimp-in-the-tank method to get the ecology going?

Sorry for the loaded question.

I have one question - is it bad for fish (or anemones) to use a "sterile" tank - new water, no substrate, no nothing - just a powerhead, carbon filter (?), and a heater?

I don't suggest using new water. In that article, I urged people to use water from their display tank to fill the QT tank. Otherwise in my opinion/experience, it is best to use no substrate or liverock.

You mentioned using a sponge filter that was aged in another tank but is this necessary to QT healthy fish?

A fully cycled filter of some sort is crucial to a successful quarantine period. I prefer to use air-driven sponge filters, but other types are fine. Just so long as it has been established with beneficial bacteria.

Is it advisable to get a cycle going first and if so, could I use the raw-shrimp-in-the-tank method to get the ecology going?

I don't see anything wrong with that route. I just prefer the ease of keeping a sponge filter running in my sump.

Back