red bugs :(

jbob

alright...i think i found some red bugs today. so i've been reading all the articles i can find and was wondering if anyone else here has delt with them.

i think the safest and best aproach for me to fight them is by buying a 10-20g tank and lowering the temp down to 70ish a couple times. and leaving them in the "qt" tank for at least 5 days.(prly longer, to make sure there's no eggs) then placing them back into the DT. i didn't find any info on how long the eggs take to hatch. anyone know?

i've read a couple of stories that a drop in temp took care of the bugs. what do you guys think?

i'de rather not try any interceptor. but live aquaria has an article on their site that says lugols will take care of them. anyone tried that?

Lugol's can permanently stain acros, supposedly. I'd recommend interceptor, as a whole tank treatment. Dustin Dorton's instructions were the popular method for quite awhile. Eric Borneman has his method available, which is a higher concentration, but is out-of-tank. This is a treatment that has been done so many times now, it's almost become common practice, and I wouldn't worry as long as you follow instructions.

i've never read the dortons method, just the borneman. i'm going to hafta go over that after work. the only reason i didn't want to do interceptor was because of the higher concentration. so you can do the "dorton" in tank without effecting invertebrates?

i've never read the dortons method, just the borneman. i'm going to hafta go over that after work. the only reason i didn't want to do interceptor was because of the higher concentration. so you can do the "dorton" in tank without effecting invertebrates?

No, you need to remove them. It is coral-safe, not reef-safe. Red bugs are amphipods after all, so for it to kill one, it'll kill the other. FYI, Borneman's suggested solution is 5X stronger than this one. The hardest part about this treatment is actually getting the Interceptor. Technically, it's illegal w/o a Rx, but obviously that doesn't happen too often (vets don't want to give one pill out, even with information backing what you are doing with it). Good luck whatever you decide to do.

I have used interceptor without much issue. Almost any new sps gets an interceptor bath before it goes in to the tank. My vet was happy to sell some to me.

hmm i'm gonna hafta stop by a vet. i picked up some revive today, i was gonna dip a colony or two and see what comes off. i pretty sure they're "red bugs" but i cant really tell. it just looks like TINY black dots moving around.

so no-ones had any experience with just droping the temp down tho? i've read a couple claims that it worked for them.

i'm going outa town tonight, but i'm gonna go get a 5-10g tank tomorrow and figure some things out. i think i'm gonna hafta take the 150w off my frag tank and put it over the QT. maybe have the QT on a reverse time schedule, that way i can put it back over the frag tank during the day. does anyone know how long it takes the eggs to hatch? will a 5 day QT after interceptor be long enough? or will i hafta wait a few days for the eggs to hatch, then wait 5 more days for the new bugs to die from not having a "host".

Last edited:
http://www.melevsreef.com/redbugs.html

I've also done Interceptor dips before on coral additions. I would try the Interceptor + powerhead route before the other methods, since it should be less stressful and accomplish the same thing. Also, it might give you a chance to look more closely to confirm that they are red bugs.

I got some Interceptor after a vet checkup for my dogs. Call a few vets and see if they are willing to sell it for your purpose. I think I have some extra large tablets if need them.

You guys must have nicer vets in Lincoln. Last time I tried to get some for a customer here in Omaha, it was like pulling teeth.

thanks for the link alan. thats the best article i've read about it.
i've been sick the past few days so i havn't got to do anything the bugs yet.

so i've been doing some more reading and found this article in advanced aquarist's online magazine
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/3/corals

in the article it does talk about using medications and other things to rid yourself of "bugs" but it also says this about temp.

Temperature is an easily measured parameter of any body of water and its importance in the regulation of biological and biochemical reactions is well recognized. Yet, I saw very little mention of temperature while reviewing a number of hobby-related works on parasites. However, Sparks (1985) mentions temperatures in the lower range of tolerance as important in keeping parasites, disease, etc. in check. Further, Jacoby and Greenwood (1989) reported statistically significant seasonal changes in demersal zooplankton populations in Australia (including Parategastes copepods known to preferentially inhabit certain algal beds - other Parategastes species are parasites of certain coral taxa).

Humes and Lee, 1985 found parasitic copepod Anthessius populations rose in populations of the clam Pecna in water off Hong Kong during the later part of the year. When compared to average environmental data (water and air temps, rainfall) for the area, it appears there is a general trend of more 'bugs' during times of warmer water. However, this time is also one of lessened rainfall that could reduce lessened nutrient loadings. This observation is by all means not conclusive, but it is an interesting one. See Figures 147 and 148.

Any seasoned hobbyist has seen blooms of various (usually undesirable) organisms within aquaria and all are due to a domino-effect of change, some undoubtedly triggered by warm water. Although we have lots of subjective evidence, work remains to be done on the effects of temperature and coral parasite populations. Maintaining the temperature as low as 22°C (~72°F) in an aquarium for tropical fishes and invertebrates should present no problems.

so i think i'm going to give it a try. i think it would be alot easier and safer than interceptor. plus it would be an in-tank treatment. hopefully it'll work.

Jason, I believe that I saw Interceptor at TSC last time I was there. It could have been a totally different product, but it was in the back near the animal health section in a case. I need to stop by there in the next week or so, so I'll double check.

TSC? i will prly need to get some here soon in case my temp experiment doesn't work. let us know

why havent you informed the people that you have traded with. including me. thanks alot dude.

Have you considered he might not have known about it when he traded or the red bugs may have shown up on something purchased after the trade :rolleyes:. It's your responsibility to keep bugs or pests out of your tank by qt'ing anything you put in your tank, if you didn't take the steps to protect your tank you have no reason to whine about it here.

hey brad i was saying that he hasnt informed anyone he traded with for 4 days now that he has known of this issue.

he is also trying to pedel infected corals on linoma. i havent gotten corals from you beacase i saw a massive infection in your tanks only a few months ago. no wonder you are so defesive.

Umm, you have never been to my house and saw my tank so get your facts before you throw out false statements. I don't have anything to do with the tanks at my brothers shop, and haven't for a long time, if that is what you are referring to. Besides there wasn't any reason to call him out (on both sites even). Have you seen any red bugs in your tank? Did you take any action to prevent any contamination in your system or did you just dump the frags in? I still stand by my post.

Back