Red Turf Algae

Mako

Will Dive For Food
Premium Member
Sandy- Another fine article. How do you find the time?

I found your battle with the red turf of particular interest to me this month in that I am currently embroiled in a similiar skirmish with my system.

I had been looking for a green-spot rabbitfish for some time to aid in the control of this prolific algae as I had heard they worked wonders, but alas my search for one continues. Interesting that you found an OSR to be fond of this algae also. With no luck in the rabbitfish department I decided to invest in a herd of the M. Turbo Snails and hope to expierence results similiar to yours. Hopefully, I won't loose my patience with their propensity to knock everything over in the interim. :)

I noticed in your article that you had not identified the species of your red turf. I believe mine to be Gelidium pulsillum and was curious if you thought this might be what you had. Check this link and let me know what you think.

Mako,

The guy at the LFS sent out some samples of the algae to various experts and the identification we got was a species of <i>Asparagopsis</i>. I don't have the paper with me (darn it), but it was identified by one of the head guys at the botanical garden in Australia. I guess the reds are pretty tough to identify because they have various life cycle growth forms that look like separate species. The one in my system is the spore-form of this algae.

The rabbitfish liked the stuff well enough, but the mexican turbo snails are the bomb! I kept four of them (cuz of course the algae is not completely gone), and so far haven't had too many problems with them knocking stuff over.

Best of luck with yours!

Hmmm, that is interesting. Are you perhaps referring to Asparagopsis armata? If so, then I am sure that is not the same stuff I am dealing with here in my system.

I have looked all over the web and Gelidium pulsillum is pretty much a dead match (visually) for what I am dealing with. Control is a big problem so far and finding natural predators an equal match. Not sure what impact the snails will have upon it. After a 10 days of observation the early opinion is they are having little impact. More time will be needed to tell for sure. In the mean time I will continue my search for the elusive green-spot rabbitfish.

Mako,
I posted a similar question last month.
Besides a few diff rabbit fish, black long-spined urchins (Diadema) were also suggested as an effective solution.
Of course they eat all algae, including coralline, but if you have an established reef that may not be a bad trade-off
Dave

What is OSR? I am having a brain freeze.

chuck:

Have you considered trying a Atlantic Blue tang?

I've got the red turf algae also on my florida rock and he keeps the algae in check.

mgk

Dave - Yep, I saw that post and those urchins are on my list. Kinda holding out on those for obvious reasons, but they will brought in to do battle if need be. OSR=Orange Spot Rabbitfish like Sandy was talking about.

Mark - Am thinking about it. I have not added another Surgeonfish yet because of tank size (135) and the resident PBT. When I move up to the 200 next month it may be a good time for me to try this. They look (and read) like a nice tang to own. I have only seen the yellow juvies up close though. None of the LFS's around here seem to get the adults.

I thought my PBT was not eating the stuff for the longest time, but I just finished a little experiment that showed me otherwise. Stopped giving the guy his regular nori portions for the last month and he has shown no indications of malnutrition. I had to check him on occasion from the doorway (so he doesnt see me) to see if he was grazing the stuff. If I am in the room he his usually front and center begging for a treat. Same goes for a Foxface that I added 6 weeks ago (settled for a Foxface when I could not find a GSR). He will graze it also if I limit his feedings. Would like to get a decent handle on this stuff before it come time to move into the new tank. Hate the thought of moving the battle to a new tank unless I know it's winnable.

Sandra, thank you for an informative (& enjoyable) article. You mentioned Mexican Turbos but did not enclose any photos. Pardon my ignorance, but what do they look like? I'm from UK and is only familiar with the 'normal' Astrea snails.

D.

desong,

Thanks, I'm glad you found the article informative. Here's a picture of the snail. Dr. Ron gave me a tentative ID as
Turbo fluctuosus.

snail1.jpg

Yes, but I am afraid in my case none of them are good. :(

I tried the Mexican Turbo snail route. I went with 20 to start and within 2 months have lost all but 1. They appeard to graze on this stuff, but now after seeing the results I am beginning to think it may be toxic to them.

I found this thread in my ever ending search for more information and believe my previous id was incorrect.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30618&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

I now believe what I have is Asparagopsis taxiformis in the sporophyte state. Check these pics:

http://www.uog.edu/classes/botany/Mar_Bot/Asparagopsis.htm

Still working on it here.

Back