Reef Aquarium Salinity: Homemade Calibration Standards

lavith

To produce a 3.714 weight percent sodium chloride solution, dissolve 1 teaspoon (6.20 grams) of Morton's Iodized Salt in 161 mL (161 g) of fresh water (making a total volume of about 163 mL after dissolution of the salt). This solution can be scaled up as desired.

The question I ask is that how do you know 6.20g of Morton's Salt in 161g of water makes 3.714 weight percent NaCl solution? :confused: because 6.20/161 = 3.85%

I guess since you know the concentration of NaCl or ingredients in Morton's Salt. Let's say we can pick any brand name of salt. As long as we know the ingredients (how much NaCl in that table salt), we'll probably come down to a different formula than the one you're specific above (6.2g Nacl/161g H2O). Correct?

If possible, having a general formula for any brand name of salt isn't a bad idea afterall.

Am I misunderstand somewhere? Please shine me. Thanks

Weight percent is weight NaCl over total weight = 6.2/(6.2 + 161) = 0.0371 = 3.71%.

Any table salt that is NaCl will be OK. Don't leave it out for a long time soaking up water on a hot humid day, however.

Back