Reef Controllers - Should we start a group project?

I would love to see something like this happen. It seems the problem with this plan was time and organization.
I do not have the tech skills needed for this project, but I would be willing to attempt to coordinate the traffic flow, making sure the right people were working within their specific skillset, be it mech. or elec. engineering, software, idea generation and refinment, whatever.
We are looking at an old old thread here, but I think it can be done.
This is not a time thing, we can take as long as needed. I think once started it will pick up steam.
What do you say folks. Want to bring this back to life?
lakedawgs

i briefly looked this over, and it looks real good.... he is also offering kits... no reason to re-invent the wheel

Reef Controllers

Reef Controllers

I dabble with computers and programming , I am new to reefs 6months aprox. I have been having a blast with diy. I will help where I can.

Rex

I represent a manufacturer of controllers and software to the Foodservice Industry. I'm not sure how easy this would be, but I know they have the hardware, and software to pull data from the hardware for alerts and logging. Most probes used in the FS industry are for temp, humidity. But they have been able to come up with some inventive answers for me on other parameters our customers have been asking for. i.e., amp draw, refrigerant pressures,

Their software is written in Java, though the server portion runs on Winblows.

Just throwing my hat in the ring if anyone is interested.

Labview by national instruments (www.ni.com) might provide a better software interface than any tcp/ip programming, since its whole software is web enabled.

Thus you can still use rs232 interface to the controller and then, the software runs a server which you just www. into using your pc's IP and you can control your reef from anywhere in the world.

It can also email you, text message you etc...

I work with labview daily, hell labview make an appropriate interface card for the pc directly, eliminating the rs232 and controller entirely, just digital and anlogue inputs directly, the only shame is the cost, talking $400 for a card and interface box.

]JR[

Well off to a good start but what happened guys sorry to resurrect a thread but did it stop where are the plans and how do I sign up :D

How are things going on this DIY project? I don't know anything about automation and such, but do work for a Electrical Supply Co. here in Florida and we also have a Data Communication branch. If I were to get a list of what items are needed, I can get a price and get parts at near cost. LMK if I can help...

It would be good to get some fire burning under this one again. Unfortunately, building this is just a wee bit beyond my capabilities.

This might make the hardware alot easier. Then we just need one of the many programmers here on RC to script away, and we can start working on external devices and plug ins.

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and am very interested in Advanced Tank Automation Systems. I just posted on this topic. What I would like to do is create a set of interfaces to several hardware platforms (3rd party or custom) that would expose control to these hardware devices though a COM or .NET interface. With this exposure we could create an absolutely amazing web UI with .NET 2 and Atlas.

Back