Regarding the new article about Halichoeres melanurus

LFS just emailed and said the leopard is eating.... I may be the owner of two wrasses.

What do you think Paul? Good move? Bad move?

Thanks,

Flamron;
Just my inexperienced opinion...I'd go in and make sure it was eating myself (and heartily eating preferably) and watch it for awhile. Isn't it weird that it hasn't been snapped up yet? I thought these generally sell fast??

My personal thought would be have them keep it for a few more weeks, then the night before the CRASE conference, have them bag it really well with lots of water and air. The hop in the car, come to OKC and pass it to me.

I have wanted a good leopard for a very long time.

Alternatively..... if it is eating and you think you have enough microfauna for it to thrive, by all means add it to your system. If you QT you really have to ensure it is eating well and get the same food the store uses.

Paul.

They are holding it for me. I ordered a Christmas wrasse, and they got in a leopard wrasse instead. I told them to call me if it started eating. They have had it for a week and a half.

:)

I have a fuge and the melanurus is eating really well, so I "think" I can do it.

I have read about 20 pages of the leopard wrasse primer thread, but I don't recall if they burrow into the sand as well.

Do you think I would have any territorial issues between the two wrasses?

It is such a striking fish - which is odd. I was never really a "fish guy". Never understood why people have FOWLERs... I think I'm starting to understand.

Its hard to tell from the video. Does it have the "pinstripes" yet? It may be changing sex and the pinstripes "may" be coming in?

As long as it eats well, swims normally, and doesn't appear to be ill, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Do see if you can catch him in one spot and take a close up of it if you can though.

I am lucky to have a pet store that will hold livestock for me. They typically don't, but I told them that I won't buy a leopard wrasse that doesn't eat prepared food, and eat well.

Here are decent photos of the fish, but it washes out the darkness.

024-2.jpg

038.jpg

It appears to be where you can see the stripes break up a little bit. I wonder if it could be from fighting in the lfs. There was a mostly dead melanurus in the tank. One of the the guys walked by when I was staring at the tank and he stopped to chat w/me. He looked at the tank and said @#$%. Did that jump over? Looked at the other tank that was back to back and didn't see it anywhere. He thinks they got together by one of them jumping and one beat the other to death??? Thought this fish looked vibrant and healthy, plus it ate. That's why I bought it :)

I don't see anything to be alarmed with.

Maybe Paul can take a look, though.

:) Thanks. Glad nothing really stands out. Will be awaiting to hear from Paul for official confirmation, though.

maybe it's just this

The adult body has a series of vertical blue "stripes" that extend from the dorsal fin and appear to 'break" the red lines.

It's from Paul's article. Maybe my fish is developing the blue and that's why it looks darker?

K.

I think you are correct as well, it looks like the beginning of the differentiation as the blue bars begin to appear.

he certainly seems active.

Paul.

Thanks. I feel better now.

Looks really active and eats well. Doesn't hide when I walk up to the tank anymore. Comes forward to investigate me. I think I have a pretty decent specimen :D

Back