Roy's List is here! Identification and care of stomatopods.

Will N. Wennerae ever wonder around outside his/her house during the day? Will it come out to see me once I walk over to the tank, or not..?

great info. thanks Dr Roy

can you ID the species of my pet please?
picture.php

picture.php

Dr Roy, i just got a Gond. Viridis .. and..

Ok so i got my mantis .. hes was slow drip acclimated and let loose and very active.. He went up to the biggest rock in the tank and dug his hole at the base. Took just seconds and he was hidden. Now it's been day and a half and still no sign of movement, is this normal?

Last edited:
Just saw this.

Thank you!

My next tank I want to set up is a species tank and with this I can look at and determine what Mantis I want in it.

Hi everyone. Yesterday I found 3 mantises while packing up some live rock from Bali. It would be great if someone recognizes the species, and, if possible, can tell the sex of them.
Here's the first one, which I suspect is a G. smithii female, what do you think?

_DSC4637_zps92fd0323.jpg

_DSC4643_zpsa8513fb9.jpg

_DSC4648_zps4bedfa74.jpg

_DSC4648s_zpse1d5771a.jpg

The suspected G. smithii never recovered from the live rock trip unfortunately. The two small ones seem fine though and get along well - and even share burrow from time to time - in a 20 liter aquarium (~5,5 US gallon).
Still no one who has any clue on what species they could be? I'm eager to know!

Great seeing this right after I got my first mantis ! I believe it's an H. Clypto. So small, and insanely fast ! It seems I got lucky and got one of the safest ones for other animals ? .. I do have a sexy shrimp.. what the best food I can directly feed it to keep his eyes off my hermits etc ?
husu6any.jpg

Great seeing this right after I got my first mantis ! I believe it's an H. Clypto. So small, and insanely fast ! It seems I got lucky and got one of the safest ones for other animals ? .. I do have a sexy shrimp.. what the best food I can directly feed it to keep his eyes off my hermits etc ?
husu6any.jpg

I kept a sexy shrimp with my O. Scyllarus without any problems. You can feed it brine shrimp, krill, clams, ect. They will eat just about anything.

Lysiosquillina maculata

Lysiosquillina maculata

Just bought this little guy and have tried everything in the book to get him to eat in front of me he has great color still ca kh and everything else great plenty of sand and I literally tried to give him the choice cut on silver sides, live grass shrimp , mises cubes, squid made it more to look alive and all he does is move it to the other side of the refugium and got back to his burrow. Is their anything else I can do. I Ask this because I don't think he has eaten and it's been a week unless he snagged some grass shrimp up when I was sleeping

Back