Sand again

pmathy

Hi Sandy,

I was just re-reading your Sept. "Trenches" column about the sand you used in your 220 and your 90 gallon tanks. I emailed you about this before--but now I am in the process of setting up a new 80 gallon reef tank. I currently have a 10 month old reef in a 70 gallon tall tank. This one does not have a deep sand bed. I am planning to start the new tank with the DSB, get it cycled and get critters going in the DSB and then move my LR, corals and fish when the new tank is ready. This will be a slow process--I am not in a hurry and want to do it right. After I move my reef, I plan to use the 70 gallon tall for my seahorses (which I now have in a 25). Before moving them I will do the DSB in there, etc. Ok--now for my question. You indicated that you have been very happy with the Oglebay silica sand size 60. I just wanted to check and see if you still like the sand. It looks beautiful in the pictures of your tank, it is certainly priced right compared to purchacing arogonite from the LFS or online, since we can't get South Down in Arizona--but I don't want to end up regretting this decision after I get into it. Have you read Randy's forum and his thoughts about Silica and tests on the solubility of Silica sand?

Anyway, I would appreciate hearing about how your tank is doing and how you feel about this sand. Also, since I also live in the Phoenix area, would you mind giving me the name of the place where you purchased the sand? They have Oglebay at Home Depot but only the 20 and 30 size. You recommended the 60 size so if I do it I want to use what worked for someone else. Sorry to be so compulsive. I really appreciate your help!

Pam

I'd also be curious to hear about your findings so I'll bump this thread. I just tried some regular Home Depot silica sand for my 20g DSB so I'll let you know if I run into any problems of my own.

Back