Schnitzel's Shallow Leemar 250

SchnitzelReef

Well it's officially started, my new tank build.

Tank: Leemar 3 sided starphire 96"x30"x20". External overflow recessed Eurobrace. Returns through the top. No holes or overflow on the back wall. 3-1.5" Bean Animal style drains. (Thanks to Chad @ Coral Gazers for helping me order the tank, should be here in a week or two)

Skimmer: Vertex alpha 250
u7y3eser.jpg

Sump:
Advanced acrylics 60"x24"x16" 4 chamber with a refugium and a fish time out/holding section.

Flow:
I'm still between two pumps. I will either be running a Jebao 12000 or a Laguna 4200. Either pump will be ran submersed in the sump. I will be running a manifold as well.
2-Vortech MP60s and 1 Jebao WP60

Lighting:
DIY T5/LED HYBRID 150-3w Phillips Luxeon LEDs & 6-80w T5s. All controlled and dimmed via my apex. Meanwell ELN 60-48d drivers and Coralvue 660 ballast for T5s

Calcium Reactor:
Korallin 1502 controlled by my apex.

Extra:
-Full apex with Temperature, 2-PH probes, and salinity probe.
-Cadlights Bio Pellet reactor
- DIY led refugiun light.
- 120lbs of Caribsea Special grade reef sand
- I'm planning on a real minimalist rock scape with maybe 100-200lbs of Real Reef Rock. Or maybe that dry rock that BRS sells.

Tank will be primarily SPS and some nice LPS. I will keep only a couple of my fav zoos. No more softys for this tank. I'll also have a few clams. But I want to keep the sand bed really clean. No frags laying all around. I won't be using any rocks from my 180. I have a bad bryopsis outbreak that has been driving me crazy.

I'll start posting pics as the tank and equipment progresses.

BIG THANKS TO CHAD @ CORAL GAZERS FOR HELPING ME OUT!!

tygujudu.jpg

hu9ysy2y.jpg

That's what $500 in DIY LEDs looks like. Steve's LEDs are always top notch. If ur gunna DIY, I would buy from him.

I figured I'm gunna have about $1000-$1200 invested in my lights. If I had gone with 2- 48" Hybrids it would have cost me about $4000ish. So u tell me what sounds better to u? Lol

I could have done 6-80w retrofits ($400) + 6 AI Hydras ($2400)
$2400+ $400= $2800. So saving $1000+ for my lights sounds good. Shoot that paid for about half the tank.

Hot Dogs are GOOD!

Pics are okay. You are loading BB code (square brackets around the IMG tag). Just paste in the straight URL of the images and RC will take them fine. The problem is that RC uses HTML and the additional BB code interferes with this.

LEDs
tygujudu.jpg

hu9ysy2y.jpg

Dave.M

Ok got the call. Both mp60s are in, and tank is being delivered tomorrow.

Best way to transport a 8'tank? Truck or trailer ?

I've used both to shuffle my 10' (acrylic) around. just make sure it's fully supported on the bottom and don't hit too many bumps!

Ok got the call. Both mp60s are in, and tank is being delivered tomorrow.

Best way to transport a 8'tank? Truck or trailer ?

Well the tank came in with wrong dimensions. It was supposed to be 96x30x21 and it came in 96x30x25. :(

What a bummer. I guess it was sort of a blessing. I was able to look over the tank and inspect it a bit. I noticed that on the external overflow, they put the acrylic teeth on the inside of the tank. I'm sure it's really easy to mount that way, but it looks like poo. My whole goal was to have a clean smooth back wall. Makes it easier to clean algae and scrape coralline. No holes for returns and especially no acrylic overflows. So on the new tank they are putting the teeth inside the overflow box. Something like this:
tyqa5ura.jpg

I'm super busy with the holidays and all, so I guess I'm not that bummed that I have to wait 3 more weeks.

Getting some cement poured this week on my side yard. I'm gunna move my shed just outside the window right next to the tank. I'll have a mixing station with a 65g ro/di, and a 65g for salt water. (I'll probably just keep 50g at a time that way I can just dump a whole bag of IO in at a time. I currently have 1-1/4" line coming in from outside. It's my ATO line. I'm gonna run 2 more lines through the house. These will be for water changes. I'm planning on hooking up a pump that will take water out and put new water in at the same time. That way I will just put the pump on a timer when I want to do a water change. It will be super easy.

enesyzu7.jpg

matada6a.jpg

Ran a water line right next to where the shed will be.

The wall on the right is where the new tank will be sitting. Just outside the window will be my shed with all my water change junk
zy4eby9a.jpg

That's my old 180 in centered in my living room. I did that so I can setup my new tank and slowly transfer everything over. Didn't wanna do a hectic one day transfer. That's no fun

Design of my sump. Won't have the Dimensions until I get my stand built.

Planning on it being 60"-72"

du2y2upa.jpg

Might do 3-7" filter socks instead of 2.

Any input?

Figured I'd keep the DSB separate so I can take it offline if/when need be. Also want to keep it separate to keep light away from the sand, prevent algae growth. I can also use it as a holding spot for new fish or fish that might need a time out.

I like the sump area that dumps into tubes then flows over socks area. Seems the tube's calm the flow/bubbles/noise than just dumping into socks? Also white 3 sided sumps look nice with white divider's for that ballN look:) Make refugium/cryptic area as big as you can for your size DT.

Schnitzel's Shallow Leemar 250

Got a new pump today I decided to pick up a Fluval Sea SP6 for my new build. It's a submersible or external pump rated at 3000gph. It has an Askoll motor (Italian made), with a 3 year warranty.

This thing is HUGE. Check out these pics
uta7upuz.jpg

anunabar.jpg

Here it is next to a red dragon/Vertex Alpha 250
y8u8uduz.jpg

And a Jebao DC 12000
re9agara.jpg

ebuha5uj.jpg

I won't be able to tell u how the flow is for another week or 2. But I'll update the thread when I turn it on.

This thing is so heavy. Weighs like 50lbs. Things like a brick

Nice pump do you know if your Maxflo pump would fit on that stand?

My maxflo 2400 is a lot smaller then this pump. But I'm wondering if maybe a 4200 Laguna might fit on it. The bottom of the pump looks exactly the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back