So need to move 1000+ miles!

6ed241addb1f941c1fd4b07f0442ee0f.jpg
d8c92d7585fe93dfc857a5d292decc32.jpg
11507911c6b4a1b6a7e74327cc81f793.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

More photos later, everyone is all good. Male Anthias is a wuss. Got everyone else adjusted. Half in the truck, half into a 40g breeder. Yes, my truck still hosts an aquarium!

Now that would have been funny! We did a family vacation in Seattle in early August. When we decided to move

Aah, I was already wondering how you pulled that detour off as Crater Lake isn't really along the way :D
I've been there with my wife in July and it is quite nice up there.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I would sell everything or have some one overnight the animals to me after I have the tank set up in the new location.

Great to hear everything made it. You seem to have a wonderful family, 4 legged ones included! Thanks for the picture updates as well, really appreciated all the useful tips if we ever need to move that far.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

I would sell everything or have some one overnight the animals to me after I have the tank set up in the new location.

Once you had your fish for a while it can become very hard to part with them, especially if you have some fish that are not that easy to get everywhere.
I would rather risk a move like this than giving them away.
But I would probably build in at least a month of overlap to be able to set up some tanks in the new place before tearing down the old tanks.
Plus I would likely have done it with 2 or 3 drivers and without making a major stop.

I only had 7 weeks to deal with it all, wish I had a permanent setup up here. But, was a little worried yestetday, but got everything situated over the few days.
I lost the male Anthias, super stressed never moved or ate. Something ate and killed the shrimp. Probably the tang. The Crispa is either dead or hiding.

But, everything else seems good. Eating well and situated.

c3c118715bedc9b027ce558b15f2e4e9.jpg

9885a3ea45d8465745f26d686245e41f.jpg
2a6a3d823ed1be1edb6fe2014d7c6b83.jpg

Really enjoyed watching this (and glad that I wasn't having to do it!)

Sorry, little side-trip here. Nem experts, is the appearance of the oral disk, mouth and tentacle distribution in these quoted pictures fairly typical for a mag? It looks a lot like the nem I currently have in my tank that is *supposed* to be a mag but is refusing to act like one. I'm having a hell of a time getting pictures of mine, but here are the things that are common between the pictured nem and mine:

Hard to explain this but the almost "matte" or velvety appearance of the oral disk. The consistent colour of the disk from tents to mouth. The big open area of the oral disk that is tentacle free, and then a densely distributed zone of tentacles. The slightly up-puckered mouth (the mouth on mine is tighter than pictured above) and there is absolutely no colouration change from disk to edge of mouth on mine. Just all dark purple.

Do any of those commonalities seem significant from an ID perspective?

Thanks for any commentary.

Tues Update

Tues Update

All good so far. Trying to see how many corals I can save, didn't have anything crazy. SPS is going to be tough, LPS looking great so far.

Tg he three main nems look very good considering everything. Got a led light mounted 12" over dead center of 40g breeder, getting decent coverage. I figured trying to setup the Hydra 52 with Apex was overkill until we're out of the Airbnb.

I have got a great and easy water change system going. Changing about 3-5g daily.

Lightly feeding with mysis and pellets for now.

So glad last week is over, never doing that again. Now to just maintain for a few weeks for one last short move. About a 15 min drive w/o traffic.

Wow! Best of luck to you and your final move. I'm glad most everything made it. I'm impressed you would even take the time to document and post pics. That's just one more thing I'd decline to do...
Looking forward to a final FTS once settled in!

Documenting

Documenting

The tank move and documentation was stressful at times and a blast during others. My older daughter rode with me during the trip and really helped with everything. We had some hilarious problem solving moments during the trip. Plenty of people that saw the setup thought we were nuts even trying it! Ultimate car mod, reef tank...

I really used the tank to deflect stress from the whole idea of moving from our home of 14 years. Year from now it'll be cool to look back at. Plus, it'll give a template for others crazy enough to try it themselves.

Thanks for following and suggestions guys.

Not sure how soon I can do it, but the new house has a huge fully finished basement with natural light/french doors. Before I was constricted by 4 ft width, really want to go larger like 8 ft. Now have plenty of options including a water source at location and a drain provided by a second set of washer and dryer hookups. I'm salivating at the design possibilities for ease of maintenance.

Negative is, the backyard isn't fenced in and projects like that are sucking up funds. So, when possible all the little guys that survived the trip will get a bigger, more improved home with everything learned last 3 years.

I've been considering a full sheet plywood tank in my basement. I'd use a 4x8 sheet as the base. There are a few examples out there that make it a very tempting proposition.

For what it's worth, I've been using an old washer drain for my waste water, both RO and old tank water.

I've been considering a full sheet plywood tank in my basement. I'd use a 4x8 sheet as the base. There are a few examples out there that make it a very tempting proposition.

For what it's worth, I've been using an old washer drain for my waste water, both RO and old tank water.

I'll look into that, once settled in a bit. Was also thinking, this area might good to look at used tanks.

I just finished cleaning the truck and cooler and found some small hammer corals that were left behind. Retracted, but can still see tissue. I had the water heated and circulating until Monday. Shocked they'll still alive. Coleman marine cooler gets a thumbs up

Back