Starfish hitchhiker ID (not typical Asterina)

Hypsophrys

Probably came on on some gulf rock. For size reference, that's a typical Cerith it's riding.
Anyone seen these before?
20220811_230611.jpg

Last edited:
Damn. Maybe I found something new?

There's an Asterina miniata (bat star) that in some pics kind of looks like it, but others not so much. It also seems to be a cool water species from the west coast.

Edit: after browsing more cushion star pics you might be right. There are definitely some solid orange ones and the shape is right.

Last edited:
Cool! Probably an Aquilonastra sp (see fig 2 & 3) and may be undescribed. Just FYI almost all "Asterina" seastars seen in aquariums are actually Aquilonastra sp. and beneficial, feeding of biofilms and algae.

Damn. Maybe I found something new?

There's an Asterina miniata (bat star) that in some pics kind of looks like it, but others not so much. It also seems to be a cool water species from the west coast.

Edit: after browsing more cushion star pics you might be right. There are definitely some solid orange ones and the shape is right.
That was just a guess going off of the possible Florida rock thought
Cool! Probably an Aquilonastra sp (see fig 2 & 3) and may be undescribed. Just FYI almost all "Asterina" seastars seen in aquariums are actually Aquilonastra sp. and beneficial, feeding of biofilms and algae.
That’s an excellent resource!

. . . I have a lot of orange sponges, so I hope it's not an obligate feeder. Just in my experience sponges seem to diminish over time...

If it is an Aquilonastra species it's probably not an obligate feeder. A unique charicteristic of Aquilonastra genus seastars is they're fissiparous, ie, they reproduce by splitting, Asterina seastarr (and most others) reproduce sexually and are unlikely to establish viable populations in aquaria.

Sponges are a whole seperate and complex subject. TAs you've observed the "ornamental" species don't do well. Many species of sponge feed of Dissolved Organic Carbon (DOC) and also mess with nitrogen and phosphorus. Some have been documented to process DOC 1000X faster than bacterioplankton (which raises serious questions about carbon dosing and skimmers). There are many cryptic sponge species that thrive in aquaria and beneficial but there is an invasive black encrusting photosynthetic species that thrives in bright light and can overgorw corals. Here's some links on sponges:

Bacteria and Sponges

Sponge symbionts and the marine P cycle

Element cycling on tropical coral reefs.
This is Jasper de Geoij's ground breaking research on reef sponge finding some species process labile DOC 1000X faster than bacterioplankton. (The introduction is in Dutch but the content is in English.)

A Vicious Circle? Altered Carbon and Nutrient Cycling May Explain the Low Resilience of Caribbean Coral Reefs

Surviving in a Marine Desert The Sponge Loop Retains Resources Within Coral Reefs
Dissolved organic carbon and nitrogen are quickly processed by sponges and released back into the reef food web in hours as carbon and nitrogen rich detritus.

Natural Diet of Coral-Excavating Sponges Consists Mainly of Dissolved Organic Carbon (DOC)

The Role of Marine Sponges in Carbon and Nitrogen Cycles of COral Reefs and Nearshore Environments.

Back