Stear clear of Sea of Marvels!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Musbtr1pin

I just want to put my two cents in about SOM. hung has been in the hobby for close to 20 years, but yet the information he gives to his customers is false. How do I know? My new found friend has been going there buying a bunch of random crap that hung has been tossing down his throat. Who says you can throw 6 tangs in a tank all at once and not expect any problems?? Hung does!!! His knowledge of ICH disgusts me to the point we got into an argument and now I'm not allowed in the store anymore. I even offered him 500$ if he could prove me wrong, he denied and then said "I know I'll win anyways" so why wouldn't he take me up on that offer? He claims leave tank fish less for three days and then you can return your stock to the tank. What a damn joke. He got very upset when I called him out and he even questioned my intelligence, needless to say we went at it, WITH customers in the store. They were shocked, but it's about damn time someone puts him in his place. He is WAY overpriced on EVERYTHING. $75 dollars for a 200 gallon box mix of Instant Ocean Reef Crystals!!!!! Gimme a break! I went 5 miles farther to Coralville Bay and got the same box for $50 bucks!!!!!!! One day you could walk in and the price on a ocellaris clown could be $35 and the very next day $50! Honestly people, DO YOUR RESEARCH before you buy ANYTHING from him. He complains that his store doesn't do enough business, I wonder why? When you give people the wrong information and a false sense of security, bad crap happens. Stay clear of SOM and go to Anemone Clowns and Corals in Washburn, IA. Well worth the drive I promise, and Andrew, Craig, and Jeremy won't feed you full of a bunch of BS. It's time someone stands up to his crap and nonsense and spreads the word. He's lucky I didn't body slam his butt on the concrete

I've known Hung since he opened his first LFS in Coralville and although I didn't hear your ICH discussion I have known him to have some nice tanks which takes a degree of talent... if his prices have risen I'm suspecting desperation to keep his business afloat. I understand your frustration but there are those of us who wish him and his business well.

That is the first real negative thing u ha e heard about SOM and Hung. I have yet to make it there, but I have also heard that he does price things based off of how well he knows you and your enthusiasm for the hobby. If someone drops in and just asks "how much" then I have heard that you may get a higher price than someone that comes in and talks to Hung about the hobby.

For many, they don't want to sit and shoot the bull for a while. I can understand that. And I know that there are a lot of data and interpretations of that data in the hobby. If you didn't agree with him, then move on. I've gotten so much crap advice over the years from people that had a lot of great advice too.

Not saying that you were wrong to post what you did though. If you had a bad experience, then you had a bad experience and you are entitled to make a post. I just hope that I have better success once I start checking out his store.

- Posted via Tapatalk

Did you not read my full post? His advice crashes my buddies tank. He's an idiot. Plan and simple, and if you think he has nice tanks, I'd love to see what your tanks look like. I think they are all GARBAGE

Don't be confused. Hung's retail shop is merely a formality. It only exists because to subsidize his instillation/ maintenance business. He only keeps the basics in any of his tanks, take a look and see! Row upon row of Occ, fire fish, chromis and yellow tangs. Yes his prices aren't necessarily in line, but that's why most dry goods have dust on them. His $ is not made in that store. If you want better prices talk to him for an hour and they'll change(perhaps he's lonely HA)

As for his advice... I think we can all agree that LFS advice should always be taken with a BUCKET of salt as sadly they are a business not a resource so much (sad but true fact). That goes for what I have overheard in SOM, Cville Bay, and Petland. I went to pets playhouse(I think that is what it is called in CR, with all the saltwater stuff in the back) and it was ATROCIOUS, I think they were culturing algae not selling livestock; they advice overheard was on par with their tanks. I would say the most well versed person of the three is SOM by far, but that is merely a relative expression. Hung has certainly been the passer of bad info, not defending him; but let's remember many people can condemn someone for putting a tang of ANY kind in a 55, while there are many people quick to chime in with evidence they have done so successfully for many years. Success is subjective but the point is there are no absolutes NONE in this hobby. What someone shares as working or what to do in their experience doesn't guarantee anything to the next person that replicates it in their home. So maybe Hung keeps his systems so stable/healthy/whatever that he CAN add livestock in 3 days. I wouldn't do it, but maybe I am doing everything else wrong... By your logic of him needing to know better then I think it is irresponsible for all the businesses mentioned to carry purple up and redslime remover and all the other snake oils on the shelf. Fact is people are curious and want to try them. They don't solve underlying issues or do what they imply but people will either get them from them or go somewhere that has them.

Im rambling. This is my $.02

That is the first real negative thing u ha e heard about SOM and Hung. I have yet to make it there, but I have also heard that he does price things based off of how well he knows you and your enthusiasm for the hobby. If someone drops in and just asks "how much" then I have heard that you may get a higher price than someone that comes in and talks to Hung about the hobby.

For many, they don't want to sit and shoot the bull for a while. I can understand that. And I know that there are a lot of data and interpretations of that data in the hobby. If you didn't agree with him, then move on. I've gotten so much crap advice over the years from people that had a lot of great advice too.

Not saying that you were wrong to post what you did though. If you had a bad experience, then you had a bad experience and you are entitled to make a post. I just hope that I have better success once I start checking out his store.

- Posted via Tapatalk
If you thinks his tanks are nice, I feel sorry for you. I'd love to see what your tank looks like then. His tank is a Kia, compared to my Bentley bruh.

If you thinks his tanks are nice, I feel sorry for you. I'd love to see what your tank looks like then. His tank is a Kia, compared to my Bentley bruh.

What are you talking about?!?! I said that I have never been there. :facepalm:

I said:
nickbuol said:
I have yet to make it there

Please read before quoting someone 'bruh'. :bum:

If your buddy crashed his tank it crashed. WE HAVE ALL HAD PROBLEMS STARTING OUT! And for the most part it's because we rushed things way to fast. We didn't let it cycle or we lied saying it had been set up 3 months when it had only been set up a week. And if he was your buddy WHERE THE HECK WERE YOU WHEN HE WAS SETTING IT UP? You are making it sound like you know it all but you sound plain stupid. What works for one in this hobby MAY NOT WORK FOR ANOTHER! I had a friend who would put water straight out of the tap into his tank and he grew stuff I couldn't. MOVE ON.

If your buddy crashed his tank it crashed. WE HAVE ALL HAD PROBLEMS STARTING OUT! And for the most part it's because we rushed things way to fast. We didn't let it cycle or we lied saying it had been set up 3 months when it had only been set up a week. And if he was your buddy WHERE THE HECK WERE YOU WHEN HE WAS SETTING IT UP? You are making it sound like you know it all but you sound plain stupid. What works for one in this hobby MAY NOT WORK FOR ANOTHER! I had a friend who would put water straight out of the tap into his tank and he grew stuff I couldn't. MOVE ON.

Dude I agree with jstngates. Take a breath and move on!

lawl

Attachments

• 3540do.jpg
    3540do.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 1
I've reported this thread to the moderators to have it shut down. Everyone here voiced their own opinions just like you musbtr1pin, but you insult them and attack with a physical threat. This locked down thread will not show your opinion well due to your actions. The only one out of control here seems to be you and why should anyone else have to agree with you if their experience was different.

I've also unsubscribed to this thread since it serves no value any longer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back