Tank Of The Month - December 2008

Putting together an emergency backup with a UPS takes a lot of research. Converters come in vaious types. First you have to take a look at what your trying to power. Look at the your pump and determine if it's AC or DC powered. All AC powered pumps have trouble with the step wave frequency that ordinary converters put out. Once you have figured out which type you need, you then need to figure out how big and what type of battery you need to power it. You will also want something that has a UPS and charger built into it as well. This is a complicated and somewhat difficult task (unless your an electrician or engineer) and it will take you a while to get all the info you need. I put mine together years ago so there are probably better products out there for you. I would do a search here using key words like UPS, converter charger, and true sine wave. I know the calculation for determining how big of a battery you will need is here somewhere also. Take your time and look at all the options. There are some good DIY plans to be found here in the forums too.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13988183#post13988183 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefkeeper2
Putting together an emergency backup with a UPS takes a lot of research. Converters come in vaious types. First you have to take a look at what your trying to power. Look at the your pump and determine if it's AC or DC powered. All AC powered pumps have trouble with the step wave frequency that ordinary converters put out. Once you have figured out which type you need, you then need to figure out how big and what type of battery you need to power it. You will also want something that has a UPS and charger built into it as well. This is a complicated and somewhat difficult task (unless your an electrician or engineer) and it will take you a while to get all the info you need. I put mine together years ago so there are probably better products out there for you. I would do a search here using key words like UPS, converter charger, and true sine wave. I know the calculation for determining how big of a battery you will need is here somewhere also. Take your time and look at all the options. There are some good DIY plans to be found here in the forums too.

Thank you I will put together and see as you said to size it up.

I had a ? and I am kind of new to the hobby. Love the tank by the way. I thought anemones are known for stinging and eating fish. Have u had any troubles with yours? Does it just depend on the type of anemone whether it will become predatory?

WOW!!!
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13918193#post13918193 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefkeeper2
This is complicated, but I'll do my best.
The machine uses the same membrane that is used on people for dialysis. It takes water from my sump and runs it through the membrane. At the same time it runs RO/DI water on the other side of the membrane. Because of osmotic pressure, most everything in the seawater passes through the membrane and into the RO/DI water. This waste water goes down the drain. The water that returns to the sump is now purified and has a specific gravity of about 1.002 to 1.005. There is not much left in it except a tiny bit of salt. Over time as the unit switches on repeatedly throughout the day, the specific gravity of the tank water starts to decline. The conductivity meter on the dialyseas detects the dropping level, and corrects it by pumping concentrated salt solution from the salt tank to the sump. This keeps the specific gravity stable.
I hope that wasn't too confusing.

how much does the dialyseas process daily/monthly? how often do you have to add to the salt bucket

I had a ? and I am kind of new to the hobby. Love the tank by the way. I thought anemones are known for stinging and eating fish. Have u had any troubles with yours? Does it just depend on the type of anemone whether it will become predatory?

As far as I know almost all anemones are predatory. In an aquarium, some are more lethal to your fish than others. The S. gigantea has eaten a few fish over the years. Most if not all were Tangs. I do not know the reason for this. The other fish seem to be able to stay clear. H. haddoni anemones are pretty dangerous to your fish too. Remember that my tank is large, so there is lots of swimming room. In a smaller tank, the chances of a large anemone catching a fish will be greater. The top fish eaters IMHO would be the haddoni and gigantea.

how much does the dialyseas process daily/monthly? how often do you have to add to the salt bucket

The amount it exchanges is determined by you. There are 3 preset amounts of 2gal, 5gal, and 10gals a day. Then there is a custom amount that you can put in yourself. The more you exchange, the more salt you will use. Right now I have it set on 5gal a day. This will go through a 150gal bucket of salt in about 4 to 5 weeks.

This is the beautiest reef set up I've ever seen. HATS OFF!!!

Thank you!:)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13988183#post13988183 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefkeeper2

I was looking around for four days looking as you said and see many brands. I am putting one together as I said on last post and now I know what size I need. Can you please tell me what brand that is you have for the inverter.

I was looking around for four days looking as you said and see many brands. I am putting one together as I said on last post and now I know what size I need. Can you please tell me what brand that is you have for the inverter

The first inverter I bought about 7 years ago is a Tripp Lite APS400. This is an inverter charger with a UPS feature. It worked great, but it's not t true sine wave converter, and my pumps rattled when it was used. The true sine wave converter is a Xantrex RS400. It unfortunately is not a charger. At the time (4 years ago) I could not find a true sine wave converter charger. So, I use both. The Tripp Lite keeps the battery charged, and the Xantrex is used as the inverter. I bet you can find a model now that does both. If you don't need the true sine wave, the Tripp Lite will work fine alone.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14028452#post14028452 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefkeeper2
The first inverter I bought about 7 years ago is a Tripp Lite APS400. This is an inverter charger with a UPS feature. It worked great, but it's not t true sine wave converter, and my pumps rattled when it was used. The true sine wave converter is a Xantrex RS400. It unfortunately is not a charger. At the time (4 years ago) I could not find a true sine wave converter charger. So, I use both. The Tripp Lite keeps the battery charged, and the Xantrex is used as the inverter. I bet you can find a model now that does both. If you don't need the true sine wave, the Tripp Lite will work fine alone.

Paul,
Thank you this will help me. I seen all in one but they are 800 to 2000.
I am going to diy. true sine unit, and a charger by it self. make a transfer switch box the other members showed me.

Great tank Paul!!! Thanks for sharing! I finally finished reading everything and learned a lot as well!:)

Last edited:
Happy to be of help.:) I thought the write up might be a bit too long, but I wanted to anticipate the questions people might ask. I think I succeeded because even my non-reefing friends and family understood most of it.

Beautiful tank and the sunroom.

hi Paul, I am also very interested to see the look of the sunroom and tank from outside. Can you take a picture from outside?
thanks.

Last edited:
Just a couple of more days to go with your beautiful TOTM! I've enjoyed following this thread, and all of the fantastic information you gave us - my goodness, i have so much to learn yet.
Keep updating us on your tank, as i'm subscribed to your original thread.

hi Paul, I am also very interested to see the look of the sunroom and tank from outside. Can you take a picture from outside?

I will see if I can get a pic, or find one from the summertime. You really can't see the tank from outside the property as my backyard is very small and is surrounded by a 13 foot hemock hedge and fencing. I live on a college campus, and I have been told students can see the tank from the third floor of the library. I might go up there and get a shot.

Summer6, thank you so much and I will post updates.

Here is a pic from a few summers ago.
3140mini-DSC_6356.jpg

Well it is just such a fantastic presentation all the way around! Simply love the whole concept!

Back