Tank Of The Month - January 2009

How do you keep it so clean? Your sump was pretty clean, you don't use filter socks, you haven't cleaned the sump in 3 years, you Feed Flake everyday. It was shockingly clean. Your sand too.. unless you put a bag of fresh sand in the front.

What type/brand of flake do you use? I got my guys on pellets but it sinks too fast sometimes. When I first got the stuff it floated too much. Maybe humidity got to the food? I keep it closed in the bottom of the stand. I only feed 3 times/week and I just had to break my sump down. It was just blowing debris back into my tank, clogged up my Phosban reactor and Carbon bag, and I was using a sock after water changes for 1-3 days. Still got pretty dirty after 6-12 months.

Did you say what type of SALT you use?

I also thought it was unusual to have 5 emerald crabs in a 90gal tank? But I just read about them being good for pest removal like red bugs, aefw, etc.

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14202014#post14202014 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by trueblackpercula
do you have any problems with salinaty swings?
michael

Nope my Tunze osmolator takes care of that

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14202486#post14202486 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SCIFI_3D_zoo
How do you keep it so clean? Your sump was pretty clean, you don't use filter socks, you haven't cleaned the sump in 3 years, you Feed Flake everyday. It was shockingly clean. Your sand too.. unless you put a bag of fresh sand in the front.

What type/brand of flake do you use? I got my guys on pellets but it sinks too fast sometimes. When I first got the stuff it floated too much. Maybe humidity got to the food? I keep it closed in the bottom of the stand. I only feed 3 times/week and I just had to break my sump down. It was just blowing debris back into my tank, clogged up my Phosban reactor and Carbon bag, and I was using a sock after water changes for 1-3 days. Still got pretty dirty after 6-12 months.

Did you say what type of SALT you use?

I also thought it was unusual to have 5 emerald crabs in a 90gal tank? But I just read about them being good for pest removal like red bugs, aefw, etc.

I got some bulk flake from Kens fish, but I'm probably going to start using the formula one brand. I use instant ocean salt and I don't clean the sump, I got a lot of water going through it.

I have the emerald crabs for the bubble algae.

Congratz Emmett on a beautiful tank and well deserved TOTM honor.

On the second go around, any plans for a larger tank?

Ok I got another question for you. I have a 29 gallon that I am turning into an sps tank. It has a 150 watt MH with a 10 k bulb in it. It is on for 8 hours or so. No other lights are over the tank. I am getting ready to replace the bulb soon. What should I go with and how long should I have it on? I thought I should ask you since you have experimented with photoperiod and obviously got some great results.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14205441#post14205441 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dobly_1999
Damn...
Congulations
Damn...just plain BEAUTIFUL.

Thank you too. Really appreciate the kind words!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14207399#post14207399 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zoozilla
Congratz Emmett on a beautiful tank and well deserved TOTM honor.

On the second go around, any plans for a larger tank?

Thanks yeah in a year or two going to do at least a 180

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14211696#post14211696 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by logan 12
Ok I got another question for you. I have a 29 gallon that I am turning into an sps tank. It has a 150 watt MH with a 10 k bulb in it. It is on for 8 hours or so. No other lights are over the tank. I am getting ready to replace the bulb soon. What should I go with and how long should I have it on? I thought I should ask you since you have experimented with photoperiod and obviously got some great results.

Well if it was my 29gal I would get the radium with a 7 hour photo period.

Emster,

Do you have any pics of your rock work when the tank was set up. I am setting up a 90g SPS tank and would like some ideas about aquascaping. Also, how many pounds of LR did you use in your tank.

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14213920#post14213920 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by runningnreefing
Emster,

Do you have any pics of your rock work when the tank was set up. I am setting up a 90g SPS tank and would like some ideas about aquascaping. Also, how many pounds of LR did you use in your tank.

I noticed, that if you look about 2/3 of the way down on pg 5 of this thread you'll see he posted a pic of the tank at one year old. It's very cool to see it at one year, compared to now. Gives me hope! :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14214814#post14214814 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Beach Magnolia
I noticed, that if you look about 2/3 of the way down on pg 5 of this thread you'll see he posted a pic of the tank at one year old. It's very cool to see it at one year, compared to now. Gives me hope! :)

I am looking for an earlier pic so I can get a better idea of the aquascaping.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14213920#post14213920 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by runningnreefing
Emster,

I start the tank with 150 pounds of live rock and then added more over the years, not really sure how much more I added, probably about 25 more. Don't have another picture of the tank back then.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14215592#post14215592 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Emster
I start the tank with 150 pounds of live rock and then added more over the years, not really sure how much more I added, probably about 25 more. Don't have another picture of the tank back then.

Thank you for responding to my questions.

Back