Triple-S Fish Ranch - 1700gal 164” x 48” x 56” SPS peninsula build

I actually ordered the 600 head unit yesterday for my current 430 build. Spoke with the owner who was very helpful and answered my questions. Just the be clear it is the cads cloth head unit only and not the vacuum thing. I will let you know how it turns out. Hopefully no more socks (except for my QT tanks).

Chris

Fantastic updates! Thanks for sharing in the restart and more importantly the trials and tribulations of the tank. I've enjoyed the journey of following along and have learned a bunch. More pictures would be very appreciated.

Clarisea in the UK have released some roller filters that have good flow capacity (just got one and impressed). They are going to be bringing out larger models but I've no idea if those they would have sufficient flow capacity. Royal Exclusive also now do a filter roll version of their Dreambox. I wouldn't be surprised if they could build a standalone unit but I've no idea about flow capacity.

Love everything about your build and looking forward to seeing it develop.

Last edited:
I think it has been said before, but I'll say it again, as hard it is to write about the downs (scratches, death, etc) it is a benefit to the community to learn with you and I appreciate the insights into running such a large system. QUOTE]

Well said!:thumbsup:

February Update: It's actually a reef tank now

February Update: It's actually a reef tank now

Who woulda thunk it? A mere 103 years (subjective) after starting the build, we have corals in the display tank. FarmerTy and John S came over on Saturday to install the first batch of 11 corals in the display.

A few observations from the day:
  • Coral Quarantine has some pests: aiptasia, pyramid snails, hydroids. I had spotted the aiptasia previously, but it took John's eagle eyes to find the couple of hydroids, pyramid and vermetid snails.
  • Because of the pests, we cut all frags off of their bases with the exception of a couple that had completely encrusted around their plug or mounting disc
  • The large jedi mind trick colony was not transferred due to the vermetid snails on its base rock. Next round, Ty will bring his band saw to cut the base away from the colony.
  • 79 degree water gets cold in a hurry when you are not actively swimming. Both Ty and John (despite his "nordic blood" his words, not mine) were shivering 15 minutes into their 90 minute dive. I did at least set up one of the guest bathrooms with a space heater and had it waiting for them at about 95F when they got out of the tank.
  • Buoyancy is a challenge-- weight belts recommended!
  • Tunze Coral Gum sets almost too quickly. Very nice that it doesn't have a smell or leave residue on the hands, though.
  • 2 Hydrowizards from 6 feet away have enough force to make it difficult to move against them even as a full size human. They were turned off for the duration of the install.
  • The Coral Beauty and Borbonius Anthias are the bravest fish in our collection; they were the only ones to occasionally swim out from under the ostrich to inspect Ty and John at work.
  • 28" from the output of a hydrowizard pulsing between 10% and 100% may be too close even for SPS. While it is difficult to tell with a skittles granulosa, it appears that the flow force may be ripping the polyps off of the skeleton.

Center arch before frags
sxiujnuUoEdA4MT0nj3EWs6GGlhxJmyAd2PN8TOUlRJJYlWivZroepBiCGunaEM3v_Safj4k3X8i9GE4UsoefG0408aqiOwuytdOrFMmj5A-UgMFMhmVxPbakBToyaMkihPuZg=w1280-h854-no

Getting Started
fGJ57nAIgu5WSbuCyjJelyCShgPty8Mkti7zNaWvNTw1T25HEHl8gRgViy1hn26jCQACQBfPBI8z1CSIxSkBwCJa8IcBuTf5h0ETogt5RaYhAjjOOcHGvdoZX47dp857IrZztA=w854-h1280-no

Ty and John placing the corals without glue for layout approval
0qzkDyEj_9o1-bn5nVZ4WtYxznsri_edrw7cWyDFQh5Q4L3nHDDeyXVGAxzuHmzWAfFMbrPvAox8vCOYwWQJVM5U-DftzO_83RCgJg69owETEFflUU9ThTffdhen8i6v4hiZXw=w1280-h854-no

Epoxy and superglue sandwich for each frag
eVrs_LKhuQ8u-QLKVNZpa6c-41Eqy5mU4WcXB4kyXuQWA0Yj2k7F87nvH4qKYw3taA9W0-uw3ysWVZI4cDR7WO0CjlHllOQZotc-HpbVcBXYbHAG_7Y8tY8UaOlNw8uqjjye7g=w1280-h854-no

Frags installed!
Yr3VewVRd8f8FFjY3EvF3QqjTVUL8UIyEbGNIOB2PCy0BWm8IvmJWsfYfPoKY_Aorn_xzmMZ3oJkMO8terQ2LzSoMvmZJEEAbY_nFlO9-kBm0a2GzyNapwHXmZ19G3lhRzBdOg=w1280-h854-no

Jelly Slime Bacteria
In other news, my declaration of victory over the jelly slime bacteria was premature. Shortly after the last post I realized that vodka level in the source bottle wasn't draining as quickly as it should. Sure enough, there was a kink in the output hose and only the tiniest dribble was making it to the tank. Once I started truly dosing 240mL again the slime came back.

A few days of experimentation established that the slime bacteria kicks in just north of 140mL. I'm currently running 140mL/day and hoping that this is sufficient to slow the nitrate buildup until the Biochurn 10T reactor arrives. Not super hopeful, though, as with just 4 days of zero dosing following by a day of 240mL then a week of dosing between 100 and 150mL, nitrates are already back up to 5 after being at zero 3 weeks prior.

Questions
Moving on to the questions since last post:

Paul,
I wanted to say how much I admire your museum quality, home system. I have really enjoyed reading through your post. Your planning and attention to detail leave us all something to aspire to.

. . .

I am surprised the bacteria slime in your filter socks seems to have resolved itself on it's own and not surprised that cleaning them with vinegar was not a good idea, since it is an organic carbon source itself.
Aaron
Thanks for the kind words, Aaron. And yes, you were absolutely right to be surprised by the jelly bacteria 'resolution'. If only it could have been so. . .

Was reading about your issues with the ECM-63 and snails. Do you have the Honey Comb Basket around it and this still happened?
Thanks so much for asking this. No, I do not have the honeycomb basket and was not aware that it was an option. This must have been released since the time of my last purchase (or surely they would have mentioned it to me when I ordered 6 replacement impellers?).

Quote:

"They wanted on the order of 500k for a 300 gallon system that would then have ongoing $1500/month maintenance cost."

I know this is an elite system in nearly every respect, but surely that is a typo. $500k?

That question aside, I continue to be fascinated and enthralled by the progress of the system. I think we all could sense your discouragement when faced with your coral issues, and I'm glad that you have found your "second wind" so to speak. I will echo the comments of many others - your forthright manner in admitting mistakes, and not just owning your successes, is a refreshing and needed resource for all reefers and aspiring reefers (as I seem destined to remain).

In any event, my comments bring another few questions to mind: have you ever regretted the scale of your ambition on this project? Coral specific issues aside, has the project to date met your expectations?

Thank you, and continued best wishes in turning your fish only tank into a true reef!
Thanks so much, IANick. For your first question, nope, not a typo, though I do recall now that the system I was considering when I spoke to them was a 900gal system, not 300gal. This was for a turnkey system with filtration integrated into the stand, and it wasn't a formal quote. I suppose it is possible that the sales person decided that I wasn't a qualified buyer and was just throwing out a crazy number to blow me off. If so, it worked.

As for the second question, no I do not at all regret the scale. Coral issues aside, this system has been easier to manage than our previous 750gal. If anything, I would go larger. In the earliest design phase I had to choose between a smaller see-through peninsula tank with windows behind it or a larger opaque-backed tank. If I'd gone with the solid back option, the tank could have been 17' x 7' and would have been much easier to maneuver in for maintenance and coral install purposes. Plus the fish would likely have treated it like a 3D environment rather than 2D (i.e., with this system they never really swim directly toward or away from the main viewing panes, only along the length and up and down).

Clarisea in the UK have released some roller filters that have good flow capacity (just got one and impressed). They are going to be bringing out larger models but I've no idea if those they would have sufficient flow capacity. Royal Exclusive also now do a filter roll version of their Dreambox. I wouldn't be surprised if they could build a standalone unit but I've no idea about flow capacity.

Love everything about your build and looking forward to seeing it develop.
Thank you for the tip, Griff500. I've reached out to Royal Exclusive to see about a standalone filter roll option.

Last edited:
Hey hey! I still have Nordic blood, Ty was the one making all the comments about shaking knees! [emoji12] It was a pleasure to be part of such a monumental moment in this tank build. Ty and I were both worried about the skittles granulosa being so close to the source of the hydrowizard flow, hopefully it isn't too far gone and will be able to make a rebound.

While the pictures certainly are impressive, the tank is more exquisitely grand in person Paul. What an amazing setup and impeccably designed system/room you have. The only things you need now are more corals and a trophy Heteractis magnifica anemone! [emoji7]

-John

That looks great! nitrates at 5 doesn't sound so bad if you can keep it in that range. Some people have trouble raising it to that level. A lot of tanks with great color SPS have single-digit nitrates.

Looking good! Glad to hear you're making progress.
I don't know what I would do without my methanol denitrator, but I have never heard of one being used on a tank over 500g. I have too many fish, and overfeed the fatties, and my denitrator keeps the Nitrates at or below 2.5!
PMROGERS. If you have a need for another LMIII and Remote pump, I have a freshly rebuilt set on the cheap. Pm if interested.
Great job on moving in the new tenants!

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

Amazing build and tank!

My only suggestion would be to add more places for bacteria to populate. The reason for the socks clogging is insufficient places for them to populate so they are having to overpopulate the socks. Definately need more.rock or lots of blocks. may as well do something with that massive sump. No sand bed and sparse rocks in DT is leaving no room for denitrification.

regards

I just found your build thread and it's an amazing journey to say the least. Your DT and the room it exists in are beautiful. The furniture and tank go together very well. A great setup for entertaining. Ok, I'm really jealous, I admit it. LOL!

@pmrogers - do you have your UVlights hooked up to your saltwater container or do you have it hooked up to your fresh water container?

Wow and Impressive! Just read this whole thread. I love the detailed updates on both the successes and failures. Very informative! Thank you for creating this thread for us.

@pmrogers Please take some pictures and update us with information. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

@pmrogers Please take some pictures and update us with information. Thank you.

Hey @Lowefx, I will update with pictures next time I'm in Austin in October.

Short update is that not much has changed as I put the system into 'suspend' mode about 3 months ago. I decided to delay retirement and go for one more turn of the crank in startup land. We are still keeping the Austin house and planning to retire there, but now there will be a roughly 4 year delay while I build out the new company in NYC. I'm now living mostly in Manhattan, with only 5 days a month in Austin. My husband very generously agreed to take on most of the system maintenance, but it would be unreasonable to ask him to also deal with growing the system, so all quarantines are shut down except for the Coral QT, and it is not taking any new additions.

Quick update is that the fish are all doing wonderfully well, and chemistry has been very stable on the Alk, Ca, and Nitrates front. Corals still are not thriving in the DT, but have been doing okay. Pics in a few weeks.

Best Regards,

That's fantastic! Thanks for the quick update! PM me if he needs help growing his businesses.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Great update Paul. Best of luck in NYC. Hope to catch up with you at some point when you are in Austin next. Please don't hesitate to call Ty, John or I if you need anything.

Back