Urchin ID?

alrha

Premium Member
What kind of Urchin is this? (i also saw similar ones with purple tips and similar ones with gray bodies at the LFS)
TIA
39658urchin-med.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7065342#post7065342 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fijireef
Pincushion Urchin (Lytechinus vaniegatus)..would be my guess..also availiable in blue, red, purple
is it? i've never noticed that they have that stripe on the body.
Are they just as safe as the Mespilia globulus (Blue Tuxedo)?
Because Lytechinus variegatus is in the family of Toxopneustidae which includes the likes of the Flower urchins (dangerously venomous).

Where does the urchin come from? Yeah, I know, the LFS ;-) Fiji? Florida? Arctic? That would be helpful to know.

I think he called it a carribean urchin, but i really wouldnt too much weight on anything the guy says

Pretty sure its Lytechinus variegatus. We get these in the LFS around here quite often (I live in S. Florida) They are "reef-safe-ish". my friend has the purple variety and it hasn't bothered anything. It was camped out on top of a xenia patch once and did nothing to it. I believe they are generally NOT rec for reef due to their "bulldozing" as they are quite rigid little guys. Could maybe tear an anenome etc.. That said my friends experience has been a positive one. Toxicity..don't think so. Even picking them up is quite easy using a "soft hand" kinda move. His spines are sharp but not that bad. Pretty Urchin to have imo. Let us know if you buy him how it goes.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7072156#post7072156 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fijireef
Pretty sure its Lytechinus variegatus. We get these in the LFS around here quite often (I live in S. Florida) They are "reef-safe-ish". my friend has the purple variety and it hasn't bothered anything. It was camped out on top of a xenia patch once and did nothing to it. I believe they are generally NOT rec for reef due to their "bulldozing" as they are quite rigid little guys. Could maybe tear an anenome etc.. That said my friends experience has been a positive one. Toxicity..don't think so. Even picking them up is quite easy using a "soft hand" kinda move. His spines are sharp but not that bad. Pretty Urchin to have imo. Let us know if you buy him how it goes.
i got him and have not had any problems with him (yet)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7072186#post7072186 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fijireef
Sorry for spamming..I have blue tuxedo. Way smaller, not toxic, reef safe. My personal favorite!
i have 2 of them and love them too!

Back