Vodka dosing

Scotty333!!!

So having tried vinegar for a month and nopox for a month with no effects on no3 or po4 I’m trying vodka
Looking at the chart for my 150g is 0.6ml for 3 days , seems very little ? Is this right?

So having tried vinegar for a month and nopox for a month with no effects on no3 or po4 I’m trying vodka
Looking at the chart for my 150g is 0.6ml for 3 days , seems very little ? Is this right?
Vodka has 8 times the carbon source so it will be a value roughly 1/8 of the vinegar you were using. Did your skimmer not have a noticable change in skimmate? If not, you may not have reached your required dosing level. When I was carbon dosing my skimmer produced way more skimmate that was "lofty" and often pushed out of the air holes on the lid.

Confirmed salinity at 1.022 with lfs
Checked mag on fresh batch of salt water at 1245 100 ltr changed
Stats are now

Calcium 460
Nitrate 25
Magnesium 1200
Kh 7.7
Phosphate 0.20

Vodka has 8 times the carbon source so it will be a value roughly 1/8 of the vinegar you were using. Did your skimmer not have a noticable change in skimmate? If not, you may not have reached your required dosing level. When I was carbon dosing my skimmer produced way more skimmate that was "lofty" and often pushed out of the air holes on the lid.
Skimmer produces much more we skim that pushes off the lid the same

Just want to inform people of my findings on vodka dosing, it takes a while to build up the bacteria populations but once established it reduces very effectively
I did this for a month to get my nitrates below 10 and now I only dose 30ml when nitrates reach 10 and the next day they’re 3-4 and the skimmateis 5x the norm
I must add my po4 reduces as well but this will spark an argument

Because I’m forever reading vodka doesn’t work on po4 but I have accurate results it does

I do not think I have ever read that and if someone says that they are wrong it reduces both.
There is so much misinformation out there especially Facebook and allot on YouTube too. I tend to stay away from those places. It just aggravates me to see people talking about things they do not understand and parroting bad information..

The thing about phosphates though is it is hard to get a actual reading. Most hobby grade test kits are inaccurate. Most only test for orthophosphate.
It can be used up rapidly by algae. It can bind to calcium carbonate. so it is really hard to get a actual reading.

Last edited:
Back