470 Gallon Mixed Reef - nuxx Reef

Is that purple nori? All I have is the brown and mine doesn't seem interested in it at all... Good thing I have 1.5lbs of spirulina powder!

Tank looks great and I love the fish selection you have going

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Our large CBB passed away yesterday :(

Just giving up on these... not sure if it's the diet or aggressive nature of the tank that does them in.

This one got along with the tangs, but the Bandit Angel would chase it from time to time.

He ate with gusto and seemed fine until yesterday. Ate mysis, formula flakes (3 variants), spirulina and a huge variety of mixed frozen meaty foods...

So just got done with the thread amazing build i am wondering to this point how are you liking the Kessils?

So just got done with the thread amazing build i am wondering to this point how are you liking the Kessils?

Love them, no complaints.

Running a A160WE tied into the main display's lights on the 20 gallon frag tank as well which gets 15% water changes a day from the display.

Awesome tank and amazing Gem Tang!!

Thanks!

The Gem got beat up pretty bad, I have him in a huge acclimation box now and am ordering 5 other tangs to QT then introduce with him.

- Achilles
- Achilles Hybrid
- Black Tang Hybrid
- 2 Yellow Tangs

Ouch, that has got to suck, I remember when my 20 dollar foxface was harrassing my purple tang, it has got to be worse with a fish that muchmore pricey

Ouch, that has got to suck, I remember when my 20 dollar foxface was harrassing my purple tang, it has got to be worse with a fish that muchmore pricey

Yeah he got torn up pretty bad by the Chevron, then the Yellow, then the Black...

I'm really hoping that adding 6 at once will work...

It should spread the hate around by adding them all at once. Maybe keep the lights off the first day and feed heavy. I used to add tangs always in pairs. That would spread the abuse around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It should spread the hate around by adding them all at once. Maybe keep the lights off the first day and feed heavy. I used to add tangs always in pairs. That would spread the abuse around.

Yeah might just do it near lights out and during feeding, also make sure when the lights come on the next day there is tons of nori around.

Oh yea positive introduction. Tangs are gluttons. So long as you give plenty of Nori, Mysis whatever you have for a few days I think you'll be fine and the initial freak out period will subside. Water quality might suffer for a few days but corals have fluctuation s from time to time in the wild. Hope everything works out for ya!

Oh yea positive introduction. Tangs are gluttons. So long as you give plenty of Nori, Mysis whatever you have for a few days I think you'll be fine and the initial freak out period will subside. Water quality might suffer for a few days but corals have fluctuation s from time to time in the wild. Hope everything works out for ya!

Me too :)

Water quality should be fine, I haven't seen a trace of N03 in years...

You have a big system. They are very forgiving when it comes to peaks and valleys. Beautiful system you have!

You have a big system. They are very forgiving when it comes to peaks and valleys. Beautiful system you have!

Wish I could figure out my 72 coral QT system better... still losing like 50% over the time. Even with getting 25% changes a day from the display's water changes.

Going to feed every other day and on the off days do AcroPower. Can't hurt...

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/185515203" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe

Not much to update since last time...

The fish in QT are down one Yellow Tang. Having two Yellow Tangs and an Achilles in a 40 gallon breeder didn't work.

So the other four fish have been doing well in QT and are in the last 25 days or so of Cupramine:
Achilles Tang
Achilles Tang Hybrid
Black Tang Hybrid
Yellow Tang

The Black Tang Hybrid has some HLLE, but I'm sure it'll clear up in the display.

The Gem Tang is still in his massive acclimation box in the display. He's been there a few months. In that time he has probably doubled in size and is now larger than the Yellow Tang. I feel he could be released, since everyone is extremely used to him, but I'll wait for the other four tangs in QT to finish up.

Getting some cyano in the tank, but I think it's from the massive acclimation box blocking a lot of flow. When I remove it, I'll clean all the powerheads and I'm sure it'll go away. There are 0 phosphates and nitrates.

Also, lost a few frags in my fishless 72 day coral QT tank, but the others are doing fine. They also have about a month left.

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/185515203" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not much to update since last time...

The fish in QT are down one Yellow Tang. Having two Yellow Tangs and an Achilles in a 40 gallon breeder didn't work.

So the other four fish have been doing well in QT and are in the last 25 days or so of Cupramine:
Achilles Tang
Achilles Tang Hybrid
Black Tang Hybrid
Yellow Tang

The Black Tang Hybrid has some HLLE, but I'm sure it'll clear up in the display.

The Gem Tang is still in his massive acclimation box in the display. He's been there a few months. In that time he has probably doubled in size and is now larger than the Yellow Tang. I feel he could be released, since everyone is extremely used to him, but I'll wait for the other four tangs in QT to finish up.

Getting some cyano in the tank, but I think it's from the massive acclimation box blocking a lot of flow. When I remove it, I'll clean all the powerheads and I'm sure it'll go away. There are 0 phosphates and nitrates.

Also, lost a few frags in my fishless 72 day coral QT tank, but the others are doing fine. They also have about a month left.

The acclimation box also cost the lives on my huge super male Flame Wrasse and large Crescent Tail Wrasse. They managed to jump on top of it and dry out. I have now moved the box down into the water.

Back