Bonsai Tree inspired Aquascape

Here is my tank I just setup... Crazy was my inspiration!
37g Cube
Dual Kessil 150s
15g Sump w bubble magus skimmer

2011-11-22%25252019.53.54.jpg

2011-11-22%25252019.54.05.jpg

Netsurge,

10 posts in 6 years??? You're frugal with words!!

I think that to be more in the spirit of the Bonsai mindset, I would suggest removing the rock in the front right corner, and moving the smaller rock in the rear right corner to its place. This does two things, it lowers the amount of rock in the display, leaves more negative space, (sand), and actually makes the smaller rock more useful for corals due to it being out from under the larger piece on the left.
Very well done with the aquascape, and my comments are meant in a constructive way, and are strictly my opinion. They should not be taken as a bash on you or your design and I certainly hope they dont come off that way.

Thor has created a gorgeous tank with an amazing aquascape that has inspired many people, including me.

Nick

Thanks guys!

@netsurge, Looks great but i must agree with maxxII, personaly i would remove the two othe rocks in the corners all together and use those spaces for just corals maybe one that is perched on a small rock as a base. By removing them it will open up the tank more and draw focus on the bonsai piece.

Congrats on a well deserved TOTM.

You have been a huge inspiration for a lot of reefers.
You are like the trend setter of trend setters.

Just about ever new tank you see these days has your influence.

:thumbsup:

Congrats on a well deserved TOTM.

You have been a huge inspiration for a lot of reefers.
You are like the trend setter of trend setters.

Just about ever new tank you see these days has your influence.

:thumbsup:

Thank you :D your comment made my eyes water a bit :lmao: so glad to be a positive influence for this hobby.

Netsurge,

10 posts in 6 years??? You're frugal with words!!

I think that to be more in the spirit of the Bonsai mindset, I would suggest removing the rock in the front right corner, and moving the smaller rock in the rear right corner to its place. This does two things, it lowers the amount of rock in the display, leaves more negative space, (sand), and actually makes the smaller rock more useful for corals due to it being out from under the larger piece on the left.
Very well done with the aquascape, and my comments are meant in a constructive way, and are strictly my opinion. They should not be taken as a bash on you or your design and I certainly hope they dont come off that way.

Thor has created a gorgeous tank with an amazing aquascape that has inspired many people, including me.

Nick

Thanks guys!

@netsurge, Looks great but i must agree with maxxII, personaly i would remove the two othe rocks in the corners all together and use those spaces for just corals maybe one that is perched on a small rock as a base. By removing them it will open up the tank more and draw focus on the bonsai piece.

Haha, yes I have been Nick. I do wayyyyy more reading on here than posting. I usually reserve the questions / threads to my local reef forum :p... Since this pic was taken, I have added a lot of frags to the tank, so its going to be easier said than done moving the rocks. However, I think I'll try it out becuase I am wishing for more sand space and now that things are setteling in I am also thinking the same thing. I'm worried about taking rock out and going through a mini cycle. I'm having a hard enough time getting my Alk/Ca/MG stright so I can start my two part!

Removing the rock wont cause a mini cycle, unless the rock left in the tank is fresh and the rock you remove was cycled, (if that makes sense).

Can you put the rock in the sump? Its a good way to maintain the benefits of more liverock for denitrification, but keep the display very clean looking. I have a couple of rocks in my sump because I didnt want to "kill" them by drying them out, but I dont have room in my tank for them. Since my sump isnt lit, I've noticed a larger population of sponges taking over those rocks in the sump.

I would caution you before putting rocks in the sump....they can collect detritus. In my case I have a 3 section sump. Skimmer and returns in the first section, second section is much larger than the first, (about 50% larger) and is low flow, so it acts as a settling area where detritus collects. The third area is about 1/3 the size of the first, and is where the rocks sit, and the return pumps are located. This seriously cuts down on the detritus collecting on the rocks.
My system is bare bottom and I do weekly water changes of about 45+ gallons on a 250 gallon system. I siphon detritus out of the display which is usually about 5 gallons or so, and then siphon the first sections of sump out, paying close attention to remove the detritus that collects in the settling area.

If you can put the rocks in the sump with that sort of mindset, I think its worth doing, otherwise, you set yourself up for more problems in the long run IMO.

As always, this is just my opinion, your mileage may vary...

Nick

Have looked at hundreds of Aqua Scapes, never found one that really made set up and take notice and say to myself that's what I want in my new tank, till I saw the first pic of your tank. Your tank will be the inspiration for not only my new tank, but I am sure a lot of others. Congrats for raising the bar.

Have looked at hundreds of Aqua Scapes, never found one that really made set up and take notice and say to myself that's what I want in my new tank, till I saw the first pic of your tank. Your tank will be the inspiration for not only my new tank, but I am sure a lot of others. Congrats for raising the bar.

Thank you so much!:D:beer::wave:

crazy4acros, your tank is so pleasing to look at - congratulations on the recent honor!

I have the same light fixture over my 75g tank, and I think I'd like to give the Gieseman bulbs a try. I think I may have underestimated the power of T5s, and bleached some things in my tank. If I may ask, how high do you keep your bulbs above the surface of the water?

EDIT: I forgot to also ask - are you using the Gieseman Pure Actinic, or the Actinic Plus?

Last edited:
Bravo on the TOTM.I would also like to just add to the many kind words of others.
I belive your tank to be not only a well aquascaped tank, but your corals are a testament to TOTM quality in their own right aswell.

crazy4acros, your tank is so pleasing to look at - congratulations on the recent honor!

I have the same light fixture over my 75g tank, and I think I'd like to give the Gieseman bulbs a try. I think I may have underestimated the power of T5s, and bleached some things in my tank. If I may ask, how high do you keep your bulbs above the surface of the water?

EDIT: I forgot to also ask - are you using the Gieseman Pure Actinic, or the Actinic Plus?

They are hanging 10 inches above the water and I am using Actinic +.

It is such a great honor to receive TOTM, but honestly it would not have happen if not for each and every one of you. Its because of you that this tank has gain exposer and recognition, again a big THANK YOU for making this possible!

This is an awesome system! Love the look and the colors.
When you say actinic bulbs to you mean "actinic plus" or "pure actinic" from Gieseman?

Keep up the good work!

Waffleman

Back