Can A Blacklight Stimulate Growth?

Oh, how far we have come with this hobby! :) Sorry, I didn't mean to revive a thread from the abyss. I just stumbled across an old thread I started, and it brought back some memories.

Oh, how far we have come with this hobby! :) Sorry, I didn't mean to revive a thread from the abyss. I just stumbled across an old thread I started, and it brought back some memories.
Holy necropost Batman :ROFLMAO:

Sometimes it is a bad thing. I realize how little I knew back then compared to now. šŸ¤£
Yep, my first "reef" tank (1990) was a 30 gallon, crushed coral substrate, NO daylight fluorescent bulbs in a couple shop lights, and California (yes California) live rock. For filtration, a homemade trickle filter that consisted of (I think) a 10 gallon tank with plastic trays I drilled holes in, stacked on top of one another and filled with more crushed coral. No skimmer. Back then, we TRIED to grow hair algae to look, "natural" and help with nutrient reduction. At the time, (no internet) you followed your LFS' advice and the above was the advice the local LFSs were giving.

My first two real inverts were a bright neon yellow anemone and a bright neon pink anemone that lasted a month or two. I didn't know until several years later (thanks to the internet) those were bleached anemones that had been injected with dye. My first corals were a softball size rock covered with R. Florida that cost about $25:oops:

Yep, my first "reef" tank (1990) was a 30 gallon, crushed coral substrate, NO daylight fluorescent bulbs in a couple shop lights, and California (yes California) live rock. For filtration, a homemade trickle filter that consisted of (I think) a 10 gallon tank with plastic trays I drilled holes in, stacked on top of one another and filled with more crushed coral. No skimmer. Back then, we TRIED to grow hair algae to look, "natural" and help with nutrient reduction. At the time, (no internet) you followed your LFS' advice and the above was the advice the local LFSs were giving.

My first two real inverts were a bright neon yellow anemone and a bright neon pink anemone that lasted a month or two. I didn't know until several years later (thanks to the internet) those were bleached anemones that had been injected with dye. My first corals were a softball size rock covered with R. Florida that cost about $25:oops:

Those were simpler times. I miss them for sure!

Those were simpler times. I miss them for sure!
It is crazy how much this hobby has evolved for sure. I remember buying my first skimmer (probably 1991/1992) from an ad in FAMA. It was an internal skimmer that was limewood airstone driven and the body was made from the riser tube of an undergravel filter.

My first reef was an all in one setup that was drilled to add an ecosystem setup back in the 90s. After all this time I'm right back where I started from. No skimmer large refugium system. Now if only I had the knowledge then that I have now, I could have saved a fortune.

Back