Central Illinois Reefers

ThaChad

Hey all,

Is this CIMA club a real club? I don't see any posts under this section?

I am hoping to find someone in the Central Illinois area that is a fellow reefer.. I am wanting to do a little work to my Reef Tank, mainly I want to rework my plumbing..

I want to change the return from the corner flow to a dual return, to return water to both ends of the tank. Also thinking of changing the overflow to a Herbie design instead of the one it came with. I want to remove air from the overflow because I want to get rid of the air going into my sump. I have tried many different ways in the sump but none have been successful.

Thanks!

-ThaChad

We have not met for years now. I still have a tank going that is pretty much just full and I mean full of red mushrooms. If you post a pic of what you are wanting to to i may be able to help. My 125 has a sump in the basement and it all works well. Need some free mushrooms?

Right now, I have a huge hair algae problem. I just changed my lighting from 2x 150w HQI's to the Reefbreeders Photon v2 48", My HQI bulbs were well past due.. Now my RODI syatem took a crap, along with my water softener. I am getting a new water softener installed next FRIDAY and my new RO should be here this coming week. I went with a dual membrane 2x 150GPD. My problem is always I never have enough water when I need it.

I want to use the return pipe in the overflow and convert the overflow to a Herbie Overflow, then I need to figure out how to return the water to the tank. The problem with this tank has always been the overflow and return is in the same corner and the other side doesn't have any flow. I've gone threw power head after power head. I want to do a dual return, one on each side of the tank. But I'd like to do it the cleanest way possible, not just flex hoses running all over the place behind the tank.

The tank is in my living room and you can see behind the tank, so I need to keep it as good looking as possible.. Also, A better way to run the water in my sump..

I will attach pictures..

I'd love to rock scape the tank, but I never could figure it out. So I just stack rocks caddy wompas.

-ThaChad

Where does your water come from?
Some of the water in small towns is pretty bad? Does your rodi water have zero TDS? If not it should. I use a 55 gallon food grade barrel for my ro water so I keep a bunch on hand. Do you have a basement where you can keep a water tank? My tank has tons of flex PVC pipe on the back and also use two power heads. Its hard to getaway from the pipe. Years ago I had a wave paddle that worked great but the tank was designed for it. I think I have seen some power heads on the market that will build up an oscillations of water that might work well . I am pretty much old school and don't use much tech.

Right now, I have a huge hair algae problem. I just changed my lighting from 2x 150w HQI's to the Reefbreeders Photon v2 48", My HQI bulbs were well past due.. Now my RODI syatem took a crap, along with my water softener. I am getting a new water softener installed next FRIDAY and my new RO should be here this coming week. I went with a dual membrane 2x 150GPD. My problem is always I never have enough water when I need it.

I want to use the return pipe in the overflow and convert the overflow to a Herbie Overflow, then I need to figure out how to return the water to the tank. The problem with this tank has always been the overflow and return is in the same corner and the other side doesn't have any flow. I've gone threw power head after power head. I want to do a dual return, one on each side of the tank. But I'd like to do it the cleanest way possible, not just flex hoses running all over the place behind the tank.

The tank is in my living room and you can see behind the tank, so I need to keep it as good looking as possible.. Also, A better way to run the water in my sump..

I will attach pictures..

I'd love to rock scape the tank, but I never could figure it out. So I just stack rocks caddy wompas.

-ThaChad

i switched to a maxspect gyre xf230 pump and that made a huge difference in water flow and turnover. I use 2 of them in an alternating cycle and I can see the water flow. I would highly recommend getting a gyre (or the icecap gyre instead).
i have a 75g tank and i only run those pumps on 50-55%.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

please add me as well. I just requested to join the group.
thanks! [emoji3]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'm not in the central IL area but just converted my 90gl reef ready, corner overflow to a herbie overflow. I'll have pictures up on my flikr account later if you want to take a look or need some advice on finding the right parts. Most local hardware stores (menards, Ace, Home Depot and Lowes) only have ball or some version of a true union gate valve (Lowes was the only local place I found that sold one), but I'm finding this one hard to adjust. I'm waiting for everything to dry, but I am switching to a gate valve I got from BRS so I can fine tune the adjustments.

For the return, I'm using a 3/4" sea swirl in the opposite corner from where the overflow is. It wasn't needed as my sump could handle it, but I added an angle seat check valve with quick connect fittings to prevent too much water going back into the sump. Really easy to clean out and service. Additional flow is done by 2xMP40's on opposite sides of the tank.

Hope this helps give you an idea of how to set things up. I'll link some photos in the next day once its all complete.

-Eric

If you still need some help, I posted pictures of what I did to convert my tank over to the herbie overflow. The pic show's the true union ball valve from lowes. If you scroll through the flikr album you'll see more pictures including some of the different fittings.

IMG_0154 by E, on Flickr

Central Illinois reef clubs

Central Illinois reef clubs

Hello, I stumbled across this post searching for local clubs.
I would love to be included.
What is FB board?
I live in Danville
120 gal mixed reef, SPS dominated
I too have the photon v2's Chad.

Hello, I stumbled across this post searching for local clubs.
I would love to be included.
What is FB board?
I live in Danville
120 gal mixed reef, SPS dominated
I too have the photon v2's Chad.

Facebook.
Look up our Illinois Valley Reef Club.
:wavehand:

Back