Demolition , ans Reconstruction

reefrubble

Premium Member
I am going to pull out my live rock , and remove my ROCK HARD sand bed . I will be installing new live sand , and some new elevated base rock . I am going to remove the corals from my old live rock , and exterminate all unwanted live from the rock . ( Bleach , and Acid bath ) . I will be placing the rock back in my tank after the pest removal treatment .

I am looking to borrow some tubs , or totes to get the job done . If you can help in anyway please let me know . It is going to take a little time for me to get everything set up ( 2 to 3 weeks ) . My Live sand isn't here yet , and I need to make up Water , get totes , and line up help . Thank you , Ted

I have some tubs, buckets, 10 gal tanks and a 55 gal tank you can use. You can also use me to help just LMK when :celeb1:

I pulled one of the large rocks out of my tank Today , and it is now sitting in bleach water . After everything is dead I will pressure wash it , and give it a bath in vinegar water . Then another wash , and into my frag tank . My frag tank shares the same sump as my DT . That way I can get bacteria growing on , and in it again .

A little over one third of the rock removed so far .

006-7.jpg

007-5.jpg

009-6.jpg

That is a major operation. Very messy and re aqua scapula can be frustrating.

How is it going D-Day+1??

That is a major operation. Very messy and re aqua scapula can be frustrating.

How is it going D-Day+1??

First off , Thank you very much for the reply .

I am going very slowly , because I don't want any kind of spike . I am removing a little rock at a time , and killing everything except the corals I want to keep . There is a lot of crap growing on my rock , like Aiptasia , and a whole list of other unwanted things . I remove the corals I want to keep , then the rock goes in a bleach water bath , for about two days . I then pressure wash , and then a vinegar water bath for a few days . I rinse the rock again , and place it in a tank I have connected to my sump , to get bacteria growing in it again . I will use this rock to reaquascape my tank , after I Replace my old sand bed . I will post some pics as I go along .

I removed some more rock Today .

008-Copy-Copy.jpg

002-Copy-Copy.jpg

You can see how hard the sand bed is , it is still attached to the bottom of the rock . I had to use a hammer , and a large screw driver to break the rock from the sand .

wow this is crazy! I have thought about pulling everything out in mine but scared about creating a huge spike in the tank!! going to be following along!

Do you like the open look? Have you considered putting less rock back in or are you planning on putting it all back in?

wow this is crazy! I have thought about pulling everything out in mine but scared about creating a huge spike in the tank!! going to be following along!

That's why I'm doing it a little at a time . After I kill , and clean the rock , I put it in my frag tank . My frag tank is connected to the same sump , that my DT is . That way I can get some bacteria growing in the rock , so I don't get a spike . At least I hope it will work that way .

Back