Demolition , ans Reconstruction

Sue , Yes it is a lot of work , but it has to be done . The fish are all doing OK , but they don't like all the disruption .

A BIG Thank You to Paul (adnup) , he has been a very big help with this project . Paul has done most of the work , and I would not have been able to do the job without him .

WOW! Big project. Looks like it's going well. Any particular reason you went with vinegar insteed of muratic acid?

I have use Muratic several times but never vinegar. Curious to see how the rock looks when finished.

Good Luck!!

WOW! Big project. Looks like it's going well. Any particular reason you went with vinegar insteed of muratic acid?

I have use Muratic several times but never vinegar. Curious to see how the rock looks when finished.

Good Luck!!
No reason , I used vinegar before , and it worked really well . I think I'm going to use muriatic acid for what I have left to do .

Ted,
Good job getting started on that big of a project, I'll be watching this one. I have a feeling my tank's day might be coming soon. How are you handling the bases of corals? That is where my biggest concern is. SPS can lose the base, but Acans and my huge frogspawn I am lost on how to clean and move them.

I like your idea of doing it in phases to let the bio-load adjust. Are you keeping live stuff in multiple tubs?

Ted,
Good job getting started on that big of a project, I'll be watching this one. I have a feeling my tank's day might be coming soon. How are you handling the bases of corals? That is where my biggest concern is. SPS can lose the base, but Acans and my huge frogspawn I am lost on how to clean and move them.

I like your idea of doing it in phases to let the bio-load adjust. Are you keeping live stuff in multiple tubs?

Thank you . As far as how to clean the big stuff I'm going to check with Emmett Hood ( Emster ) No Body does a better job , of dipping , and QTing live stock . Most of my corals are still small , because not too long ago I lost almost everything from AEFWs . I have a frag tank that is connected to the same sump as my DT , and I'm seeding the clean rock in that tank . When I pull out the last rock , and sand , I will put the fish , and corals in a stock tub . Then I will clean the tank , take the rock from the frag tank , and put it in the DT . I will put in new live sand , and add all the old tank water I was able to save , top off with new salt water , add fish , and corals . I will check my water every day until I'm sure I wouldn't have a spike .

Went to FAOIS Yesterday , and picked up some Brightwell MicroBacter . I started adding it to my system this morning , to help seed the clean rock I have in my frag tank . I will also be adding it to my tank , after I put in the rock , and new live sand . It should help to keep from having a spike .

Chris , All the pieces of Rock are hard to remove . I still haven't started to remove the sand bed yet , so I can't say if any of sand bed is stuck to the tank . I'm trying to take it slow , to not have any kind of spike .

I've got RODI if you need it, 35 gallons on hand all the time, can make more with notice.

Thank you for offering the RO/DI water . I am able to make the water , I just could use an extra barrel to mix up salt water . I will need to save some of the tank water in something as well . I guess I'm going to have to buy more barrels to keep on hand , for Emergencies .

Thank you for offering the RO/DI water . I am able to make the water , I just could use an extra barrel to mix up salt water . I will need to save some of the tank water in something as well . I guess I'm going to have to buy more barrels to keep on hand , for Emergencies .

Well in that case, I have a big brute you can borrow if you like

Sent from my ADR6400L

Still getting everything ready , for the big day . It should be some time this coming week , when adnup (Paul ) will be able to help me . So far it looks like it will be just the two of us , so I don't know if I'll be able to take any pics .

Well , adnup came over Yesterday , and we removed the last 3 pieces of rock , fish , corals , and sand bed . Then we cleaned up the tank , put in the clean rock , new live sand ,and filled it back up with water . After the water cleared up , we put the fish , and corals back in .

Here's a FTS

004-11.jpg

Hmm all that dead life in the rock i would think you would have to cure the rock for weeks before putting it back in the system..

Hmm all that dead life in the rock i would think you would have to cure the rock for weeks before putting it back in the system..

Kevin, the rock was taken out in stages. Cooked in muratic acid, neutralized with baking soda and put in a frag tank on the same system as the main tank. So most of it was reseeded before it went back in the tank.

Back