Demolition , ans Reconstruction

After the bleach , and acid , and power wash ,it was clean . I haven't had any Ammonia , or Nitrite reading at all . I think seeding the rock with bacteria , and new live sand was the big reason . I did a lot of research before I started the project . Don't forget I removed , and cleaned the rock a little at a time . after it was cleaned I put it in my frag tank , which is connected to my DT , via the sump . I added Brightwell MicroBacter to the system , to help speed up the seeding process . This was done while the rock was in the frag tank .

Please keep us updated on this. This is very interesting to me as well. I would like to change my sand and do an overhaul like this. I have a bad aiptasia attack at the moment and would overall just like to reset my tank, without harming my corals and fish. You will have to let me know if your tank has any spikes or if you lose any corals or fish.

Please keep us updated. I want to do something very similar!

If you are able to do it like I did , I think you will be OK . Go slow , and remove , and clean your rock a little at a time . Have a tank connected to your DT sump , and use it to seed the clean rock , and add some bacteria like MicroBacter , while seeding the rock . Also add the bacteria for a few days after everything is done . Be sure you use new live sand , when everything goes back in the tank . I have not seen any trace of Ammonia , or Nitrite since the redo . My LFS guy said if I was going to see any Ammonia , I would see it by now .

Pics , after the last of the rock , and live stock were removed .

photo7-1.jpg

Back