DIY Natureef Style Denitrator Build and Data thread...

Where do you live? What we've done in the past is to ship a bottle of bacteria to whoever needs a starter.
How big is your chamber?
A Mag 5 is probably fine to FLUSH your chamber back into the sump.
You want a pump that can fill your chamber from empty in about 4-8 minutes or so and then use it to flush before each dosing cycle for about 30-45 minutes.
Try to get a 99%+ methanol and dilute it to 50% preferably before transport for safety, unless you have an actual race fuel canister.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

The mag 5 filled the tank in about 4 min, the chamber if not wrong is 25g. But I'll take measurements tomorrow to confirm.
About the methanol, VP web page says it's 99.1% pure. I'll go with your advise and dilute it to 50%.
Here are some pics of the system.

Thank you for the quick reply IMG_6277.jpgIMG_6278.jpgIMG_6276.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice setup. Thats a big chamber. What size is the Display tank? Yeah, treat the methanol like gasoline...

Nice setup. Thats a big chamber. What size is the Display tank? Yeah, treat the methanol like gasoline...

Thank you. The display is a 350 gallon reef. I plumbed the drain line close to the skimmer intake to minimize water from the chamber going in to the main tank.

My goal is to have a very stable system and try some sps corals, I have some that are doing good but I'd like to try different species,

Btw...... I live in broward county, city of Tamarac to be exact.

Lol, So do I.... Maybe we could see each other's setup. I just got my denitrator going again from the upgrade, so I don't have a lot of removable bacteria, but I can probably get you some from a friend's tank I'm tank sitting.

Lol, So do I.... Maybe we could see each other's setup. I just got my denitrator going again from the upgrade, so I don't have a lot of removable bacteria, but I can probably get you some from a friend's tank I'm tank sitting.

That would be awesome, what size is your upgrade?
I need to get the methanol this weekend, if you can get me a starting bacteria I'd really appreciate it.

I had the Natureef small setup (5ish gallon chamber) from 2004 on my first 55g DT, upgraded to a 90g DT a couple years ago, and kept the same chamber setup. I now upgraded to the 15 gallon chamber like 9 days ago, and will be upgrading the DT to a 120g soon.
I can get you a culture and a little 50% methanol until you get some more.
Is your sump in an outdoor plastic shed?

I had the Natureef small setup (5ish gallon chamber) from 2004 on my first 55g DT, upgraded to a 90g DT a couple years ago, and kept the same chamber setup. I now upgraded to the 15 gallon chamber like 9 days ago, and will be upgrading the DT to a 120g soon.
I can get you a culture and a little 50% methanol until you get some more.
Is your sump in an outdoor plastic shed?

That's nice from you, I really appreciate it. If you need help moving your new 120 count on me to help, I have a lot of stuff to move tanks.

I can pick up the culture any time at your convenience.

So how's it coming along Christian? Past your first cycle yet?

That's fast! Very cool! When you get below 24 hrs. You can start to program the timer and leave the flush pump plugged in. If you need any help with that, let me know.

Does anyone in South FL have a need for an original small Natureef chamber? I have 2, a gen1, and a gen2. Free to someone who can pickup.
Chambers only...

Good afternoon boys I'm starting my denigrators and I need some bacteria can someone help me to get some please

Good afternoon boys I'm starting my denigrators and I need some bacteria can someone help me to get some please

I have plenty! Do you live near Coral Springs? Are you going to the FMAS meeting tomorrow night? I can bring some to the meeting or you are welcome to pick it up at my house in Coral springs.

Just PM me

Thanks Dr T for the link to this thread. I've read the entire thing and think I am as ready as I can be. I knew when I saw your presentation at the FMAS meeting a few years back that I would one day build my own. Today is that day.

I only have one question (so far)...when designing the perfect chamber, would you want it to be a cube, longer, or taller?

--Mitch

Cube is fine, taller better than longer. 15-20" tall is good. Something around 10 gal should be more than suitable for your system. Let me know when you are ready for bacteria and I'll siphon off some from my system.

Can I drill a small hole in the top of the methanol container that it comes in, drop in a piece of hard airline tubing, and then flexible tubing to dose like I do for 2 part...do i need to worry about any kind of corrosion in that setup? does there have to be anything special about the tubing used?

Can I drill a small hole in the top of the methanol container that it comes in, drop in a piece of hard airline tubing, and then flexible tubing to dose like I do for 2 part...do i need to worry about any kind of corrosion in that setup? does there have to be anything special about the tubing used?
What dosing pump do you have? I have a Natureef pump that pumps at a rediculously small rate and I use Masterflex 06424-14 tubing from Cole-Palmer. (Same that it came with) I'm not sure if airline tubing is ideal. It may be, but dosing pump tubing is made to withstand chemicals. DR T may chime in here. My tubing is tiny compared to airline tubing, (it's like 1/16" ID I think) you won't be pumping in high volumes so...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

What dosing pump do you have? I have a Natureef pump that pumps at a rediculously small rate and I use Masterflex 06424-14 tubing from Cole-Palmer. (Same that it came with) I'm not sure if airline tubing is ideal. It may be, but dosing pump tubing is made to withstand chemicals. DR T may chime in here. My tubing is tiny compared to airline tubing, (it's like 1/16" ID I think) you won't be pumping in high volumes so...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I currently use a bubble magnus for dosing. There is special tubing going through the actual motor itself, but all other tubing is standard airline tubing.

Back