DIY Natureef Style Denitrator Build and Data thread...

Is methanol available somewhere locally (south florida) or is mail order the only way?

Any place that sells racing fuel will have 100% methanol. You might have to buy it in the 5gal container though ;). It's usually about $40 for the 5gal size.
Remember to cut it to at least 50% with RO water when you dose it so the methanol doesnt breakdown the tubing.

Here are vendors of 100% methanol that I've bought from
vp racing fuels
888murrays

You can do a search for "racing fuels" or "methanol M1" to find local places near you

1) VP Racing Fuels
3955 N Andrews Ave
Oakland Park, FL 33309
(954) 565-7670

2) Palmetto Motorsports
6400 W 20th Ave
Hialeah, FL 33016
(305) 557-1311
www.palmettomotorsports.com

3) Murray's Speed & Custom
15781 NW 7th Ave
Miami, FL 33169
(305) 687-7297
www.murraysauto.com

4) Lujan Motorsports
14195 SW 139th Ct
Miami, FL 33186
(305) 233-7791
www.lujanmotorsports.com

Awesome, Thanks! It all done, egg crate, uniseals, pump, circ pump, dosing pump. I'm going to get it plumbed in today and pick up some methanol tomorrow.

At 50/50, you're saying I can use any plastic container and tubing without issues?

If I get everything done, can I get some bacteria from you at Tuesday's meeting?

Here is what I came up with so far. Going to try drilling tomorrow. Then all I need to do is source some bacteria and get some methanol. Thank you to all who have participated/helped with this thread, it has been very helpful to me.
b64cc27631e6913f4d062120a2084223.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Make sure you ziptie the sections together and throw a rock or something heavy on the bottom. One of the by products is Nitrogen gas, which will make the eggcrate float up.

Here is what I came up with so far. Going to try drilling tomorrow. Then all I need to do is source some bacteria and get some methanol. Thank you to all who have participated/helped with this thread, it has been very helpful to me.

Also, might want to consider adding some type of overflow or surface block for the drain. The BIO mass created by the bacteria floats to the top and can get caught in the drain.

any new updates & data? thanks!

Hey Doug,
I've been running the methanol denitrator on my 200gal reef tank for over 7 years now. My nitrates hold steady around 5ppm and I feed 12 cubes of frozen food per day for my 30 fish.

Lessons learned over the years:
- dont put eggcrate in the middle of the chamber. it get gooped up and blocks the flow
- use a wave type pump to move the water around (ie: mp10, mp40, rw4, rw8...etc) Set it on wave or pulse mode
- clean the internal pump every 6-9 months or when flow is too constricted.
- Phosphagone is Strontium Nitrate. dose nitrate at the last 3rd of cycle to prevent the bacteria from going into "sulfur mode". I dose my own mix of (Strontium, Sodium, and Potassium) Nitrate about 1.5 hours before the end of the cycle. This prevents the breakdown of sulfates and the "rotten egg" smell that can happen during flushing at the end of a cycle.
-Nitragone is 25% methanol. When making DIY nitragone, dose methanol at 25-50% strength. Pure methanol will damage your tubing and most containers.

msg me if you want my nitrate formula.

dave

Hey Doug,
I've been running the methanol denitrator on my 200gal reef tank for over 7 years now. My nitrates hold steady around 5ppm and I feed 12 cubes of frozen food per day for my 30 fish.

Lessons learned over the years:
- dont put eggcrate in the middle of the chamber. it get gooped up and blocks the flow
- use a wave type pump to move the water around (ie: mp10, mp40, rw4, rw8...etc) Set it on wave or pulse mode
- clean the internal pump every 6-9 months or when flow is too constricted.
- Phosphagone is Strontium Nitrate. dose nitrate at the last 3rd of cycle to prevent the bacteria from going into "sulfur mode". I dose my own mix of (Strontium, Sodium, and Potassium) Nitrate about 1.5 hours before the end of the cycle. This prevents the breakdown of sulfates and the "rotten egg" smell that can happen during flushing at the end of a cycle.
-Nitragone is 25% methanol. When making DIY nitragone, dose methanol at 25-50% strength. Pure methanol will damage your tubing and most containers.

msg me if you want my nitrate formula.

dave

pmd you. thanks!

I just setup my denitrator. I have been trying to cycle it. So far i have done 3 flushes over the last 2 weeks.

The volume is about 150 litres. My last cycle i dosed 40ml of methanol and 12 hours later another 10ml and the nitrates were down to 0 at the end of 24 hours.

So for the next batch i dosed 50ml of methanol and now 12 hours later nitrates are still not 0 but very low approx 5-10. I just dosed another 10ml and will test in 12 hours again.

How do i know that i am not dosing too much methanol? Or should i be waiting longer before dosing again.

thanks for any assistance.

Would be happy to help you with your Denitrator. I just want to be sure we are on the same page so I have a few questions.

Do you have any pictures of your denitrator?
Your Denitrator is 150L (almost 40gal) correct? why so large?
When you mention how much you dose...are you dosing 100% methanol?
What is the size of your fish tank system?
What is the current Nitrate reading for your fish tank system?
Can you see the bacteria slime biomass growing in the denitrator?

You can email me direct at drtpharmd99@aol.com I'd be happy to help you get your system running efficiently!

Dave

Do you have any pictures of your denitrator?

I away from home right now. But will try to send you some pictures when I get back. I got the unit fabricated by Chris from American-aquarium.
There was a video on youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPoM-AtN61A

Your Denitrator is 150L (almost 40gal) correct? why so large?

Why system volume is about 4000L. I have 2 8ft tanks plumbed to a sump. The main DT is 8x4x3

When you mention how much you dose...are you dosing 100% methanol?
Yes 100% pure methanol. I will dilute once I have the system dialed in and can get the apex to automate.

What is the size of your fish tank system?

4000L

What is the current Nitrate reading for your fish tank system?

50 - 100

Can you see the bacteria slime biomass growing in the denitrator?

I can see a bit growing on the walls and on the egg crates.

You can email me direct at drtpharmd99@aol.com I'd be happy to help you get your system running efficiently!

Dave

Thanks to Dr T

Am now doing 2 flushes per 24 hours - so 1 every 12 hours with 25ml dose of pure methanol.

Now trying to reduce the amount of methanol for each flush to achieve the same effect.

anyone interested in buying a naturereef denitrator set up? I have the large one with original dosing pump. Took my tank down and no longer need it. PM me if anyone is interested.

Back