ESHINE 48X3W 4G lighting fixture experience

Thanks for the responses. That pic on post #52 makes me really nervous about the shading on the sides of the tank, especially give you have all 90 optics. I wish they would put a controller on the 60x3 or at least make it dimmable and I would definitely get it. I don't think I am gonna take a chance with the 2' fixture.

If ur not in a major rush, i'd def wait a bit. I hear they are working on getting the controller for the larger units. Shouldn't be too long...

You getting good sps growth with the unit? Looks great anybody pm me a rough price on the controllable units? 4g-1 48x3

Hi you all!

I've been talking with Peter for some time now... he told me that they are making a new model that will have an intergraded controller and won't lose the data if there is a power failure or unplugged for any reason.
The thing is that we know that the models already in the market are a value for money and they work nicely. How will we know this for the new models? How can we be sure they are bug free? I guess that we won't have a clue until problems start appearing. So I'm gonna stick with the current modules for now... They do what they're supposed to do and that is good enough for me.

Take a look at the photo attached. It is the design I sent to Peter for 2 pieces 48x3W Bridgelux with controller. The white lines are mixed with green, uv and red. So is the blue line. The difference is that I have no white leds on the blue lines so that I can create the moonlight at nights... Let me know what you think:)

Attachments

• led lines.jpg
    led lines.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 4
  • led types.jpg
    led types.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 4
I tend to agree with the notion that the newer stuff may not be better...One thing i've noticed from Eshine, and possibly other companies similar to Eshine is that their development cycle isn't nearly as extensive as other US companies would be. They tend to use customers to do the testing, and improve upon their designs via feedback.

Hi you all!

I've been talking with Peter for some time now... he told me that they are making a new model that will have an intergraded controller and won't lose the data if there is a power failure or unplugged for any reason.
The thing is that we know that the models already in the market are a value for money and they work nicely. How will we know this for the new models? How can we be sure they are bug free? I guess that we won't have a clue until problems start appearing. So I'm gonna stick with the current modules for now... They do what they're supposed to do and that is good enough for me.

Take a look at the photo attached. It is the design I sent to Peter for 2 pieces 48x3W Bridgelux with controller. The white lines are mixed with green, uv and red. So is the blue line. The difference is that I have no white leds on the blue lines so that I can create the moonlight at nights... Let me know what you think:)

Hi you all!

Have you actually ordered and paid the invoice yet. I ordered the same lights with:
12 nuetral white
16 royal blue
8 cool blue
6 actinic violet
6 bridgelux 510nm (aqua blue green):

In my opinion the 510 nm are really green and do not do much for the color. The actinic violet really take away from the blue and make a pinker shade. The royal blue and cool blue really look the same---maybe they are, how would I really know.
If I did it again knowing what I know now, I would skip any green (replace with blue) and maybe do 2 or 3 violets and replace the other 3 or 4 with whites. I have heard that red is no good from others but do not have any to judge. Also I have heard that the UV is very pink. The others colors above I do have. Don't get me wrong, they look great. At 100% white/others and and 100% blue I wouldn't mind a little more blue color but with a controller that is adjustable.
Just my opinion after a few weeks.

hi there radbluesfan!
No I haven't order anything yet... I just send him the combination to give me a final price. I only made it this way to have a better spectrum... But now I have my doubts because this is the second time I hear such a suggestion...
What should I do?

hi there radbluesfan!
No I haven't order anything yet... I just send him the combination to give me a final price. I only made it this way to have a better spectrum... But now I have my doubts because this is the second time I hear such a suggestion...
What should I do?

I talked with a guy who is a middleman here (did not buy from him--see earlier post) who said he had red leds mixed in on one of his tanks and that it promoted algae growth---now there could be a million other reasons for algae but that was his belief. Another guy on a local facebook group said the same about the green leds. On this site I have messaged with someone that said UV made his tank too pink. He suggested the actinic violets I ordered. The actinic violets look kind of dimmer than the other leds on my lights but the total color does seem less blue than I expected. The same guy stated that the nuetral whites capture some of the red/pink spectrum and that they are preferred over cool whites. Corals are supposed to respond best to blue. Who knows---the subject of color is so subjective to each person. After looking at mine for almost 3 weeks I would probably reccomend:

on blue circuit---24 royal blue (I asked for some cool blues to be mixed in but I cannot see a difference in any of the 24 blues--I think you are at their mercy a bit with the language and distance)

on white circuit---16 or 18 nuetral white, 2 actinic violet, and 4 or 6 royal blues

I don't think swapping anything out for the blue or white really has any advantages. With the Crees, there are not even as many options. No one that I have read about has had any luck making their red corals pop and they mostly do well but may turn more orange. Every other color looks amazing. In my opinion it would be better to stay mostly or all blue and white (nuetral white). Take this opinion from someone who just spent almost $600 on lights with more mixed in colors. I love my lights---I am just stating my hindsight opinion.

Wow! thanks for all the information...
Now this is the problem with such companies... I am not accusing anyone here, but the problem is exactly what yh1185 said. They don't come up with their ideas.. They just copy what they see from other companies instead of making something good with their products. And then they expect our feedback to fix and create...

Such things make me wanna go with known brands even if it'll cost a fortune. At least with their models I am gonna be on the "safe" side...

I got 3 reds in each of my fixtures. 2 I them are taped with electrical tape. Reds are very strong and overpowering.. I feel the they fuel algae growth too.. Hindsight, I'd add more blue.. I got a mix of blue and royal blue and there is zero difference so don't waste one of your color options on those. I lost a few sps with the LEDs and I acclimated very carefully..

Totally agree with you. I look at Eshine as a cheap alternative to the big name brands that are charging an arm and a leg for their setups. Obviously there are some major draw backs, but overall for basically 1/2 the price, your getting a LED setup with LEDS which are used in the higher end setups and a controller (which isn't a easy DIY project). Part of the reason i started this thread was so people don't go to E-shine with the expectation of a product that is on par with AI or any other big LED brand. You get what you pay for, but in this case, i believe you get more then what your paying for, plus you get the feedback from some people who have these units. I equate this to buying spam, instead of ham. Yes everyone would love to eat ham, but reality is the price of spam is just soo damn low, and they are functionally the same. And hell some people actually love spam as well ;). I know random comparison, but hey it works :p.

Wow! thanks for all the information...
Now this is the problem with such companies... I am not accusing anyone here, but the problem is exactly what yh1185 said. They don't come up with their ideas.. They just copy what they see from other companies instead of making something good with their products. And then they expect our feedback to fix and create...

Such things make me wanna go with known brands even if it'll cost a fortune. At least with their models I am gonna be on the "safe" side...

28Blue and 20White Cree Led. with 60 degree optics and 90 degree optics on the outer leds with the controller. About a foot above my tank and it covers 36x24x18 perfectly.

2012-04-25_07-05-01_339.jpg

Damn now im second guessing what to do...

Anybody got a LED combination the really LOVE andtheir sps is flourishing under?

I have one SPS (Setosa) I got it as a 2 branch frag a little over 2 months ago. Now it has over 10 branches and color is more vivid orange. I know the Setosa are easy sps but still..

Hi there you all!!!

I just want to thank all of you who spend your time explaining to me about Eshine LEDs and even took pictures of them.
The thing is I am just not convinced. I spend tons of hours reading about LED technology. Bad reviews and good reviews. It all comes down to "you get what you paid for".
So after all this time, I finally took the my decision. Actually last Saturday I ordered a brand new Pacific-Sun Metis 2X100w LED unit. I know the cost is 5 times more than the Eshine units, but I just wanted the best I could get for my corals. I didn't buy it for the gismos like thunderstorms etc. I bought it because the quality in their LEDs is higher (not all Crees are the same) and also I believe that the customer service is much better.

Having said all that I’d like once again to thank you all.

Mario

Hi there you all!!!

I just want to thank all of you who spend your time explaining to me about Eshine LEDs and even took pictures of them.
The thing is I am just not convinced. I spend tons of hours reading about LED technology. Bad reviews and good reviews. It all comes down to "you get what you paid for".
So after all this time, I finally took the my decision. Actually last Saturday I ordered a brand new Pacific-Sun Metis 2X100w LED unit. I know the cost is 5 times more than the Eshine units, but I just wanted the best I could get for my corals. I didn't buy it for the gismos like thunderstorms etc. I bought it because the quality in their LEDs is higher (not all Crees are the same) and also I believe that the customer service is much better.

Having said all that I'd like once again to thank you all.

Mario

Crees are the same if they are using the same model of leds in the fixture.

The Pacific Sun lights are VERY nice, but if you aren't looking for extras like the built in controller, or if you are DIY minded and like to customize your fixture, then the Pacific Suns are grossly overpriced for their application.

As long as the chinese brands hold up (including the one I just purchased), then you are saving hundreds of dollars that could be used for other equipment in the tank. You sacrifice some customer service and warranty service, but that's the risk you take on them for the value.

With that said, the PS lights are going to look awesome.

Hi reefers :) ,

I'm building a 154 g system that i'm gonna light with eshines g4 3X 48 W sunrise fixture , that now is hanging over my nano with an max 40 % output.
I'm very happy with that fixture .

I also gonna use a refugium (caulerpa / chaeto) and was wondering if i couls use them grow lights of eshine systems ?

this one ...

http://www.eshinesystems.com/grow/4g-12x3w-led-grow-light.html

I would guess it would be the same spectrum that the home-horti-growers use :bum:
Has anybody tried it , i'm very curiuous

greetingzz tntneon :)

Hi reefers :) ,

I'm building a 154 g system that i'm gonna light with eshines g4 3X 48 W sunrise fixture , that now is hanging over my nano with an max 40 % output.
I'm very happy with that fixture .

I also gonna use a refugium (caulerpa / chaeto) and was wondering if i couls use them grow lights of eshine systems ?

this one ...

http://www.eshinesystems.com/grow/4g-12x3w-led-grow-light.html

I would guess it would be the same spectrum that the home-horti-growers use :bum:
Has anybody tried it , i'm very curiuous

greetingzz tntneon :)

I am sure it would work but why not use the $5.00 6500K CF bulb from Lowes that
everyone else uses and save that money for other stuff. Do a search for 6500K sump light and save $$$. Not a whole lot is needed to grow algae.

Back