Fishy's Regency 220 "The Impulse Reef"

So a quick update on the tank. Did a waterchange on the tank today and apart from the salinity being a bit high everything is looking great. Picked up two chromies, a duncan and a wall hammer today. Not sure how the wall hammer will go but we'll see how it does. Really happy with how its progressing so far.

With all the holidays at the moment my skimmer is taking its sweet time to get here, hopefully it will get here this week.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

So to let everyone know that I'm actually still alive!! I have such a bad habit of not posting for ages šŸ˜‚

So the tank has changed a bit, the scape has been redone to allow for more coral real estate. The scape is still incredibly open and free flowing for water so there are no deadspots behind the rock work, with a lot of caves and holes for the fish and inverts to go through.
The tank went through a very rough patch 5 months ago with lots of algae and a massive salinity spike from me loosing interest in the tank and not doing any maintenance on it. I got my butt into gear and have been doing weekly waterchanges ever since to bring things back into line.

I've added two Sicce Voyager 4 powerheads to add much needed circulation to the tank. Adding them has made me realize just how important proper water flow is in a reef!!

As for livestock additions, I've gone through about five blue chromis and all of them have wasted away slowly no matter how much I fed them. So I have stayed away from them for now. I have added a bicolour blenny that is doing really well, is super fat and happy and always busy. The tank is definitely on the small side for a tang but I did add a small bristletooth and he has been doing great, he hangs out with the clowns for most of the day and is always going over the rock work picking at the algae. For now he is happy in the tank but I will watch his size, I'm contemplating upgrading to a bigger tank in the future so he will go into that. I've recently added a bangaii cardinal who is doing really well.

As for corals. I've added a green monti, a couple of hammers, Zoas, Duncan's and an Xenia that has its own separate rock. The coral selection in my part of oz isn't the best and its a 5hr drive to the nearest good shop, so adding good pieces has been slower than I would like but oh well.

The tank is at the stage were waterchanges are starting to fall behind on replacing the elements used by the corals so I will have to start dosing soon. I'm also looking at upgrading the lighting to a more powerful unit, I'm looking at the SB reef lights at the moment for that.

Well enough of the chit chat and onto the pics!!

90cb0bade985eff5990fbca29b8c2d94.jpg
e3cdb1a741d29032e5848f22f9a29d70.jpg
d26d23ea9be989901c9717cd90686609.jpg
84fd89da195dd718181dabc74a2fabe5.jpg
91b31227d53c2d242870a5b115d05441.jpg
d81b4e972a455f974f7572ddc0d6c087.jpg
9bb36970584adebdc84430af71d29356.jpg

Rory, glad your back. Tank looks good. Since your tank is mature, what future plans do you have? Why do you want to upgrade the lighting? thinking of adding SPS?

Marty

Rory, glad your back. Tank looks good. Since your tank is mature, what future plans do you have? Why do you want to upgrade the lighting? thinking of adding SPS?

Marty
Thank you Marty. Well now that its kind of settled down a bit I want to look at adding more corals to the tank. At the moment I'm battling Bryopsis algae which is a pain in the butt, I'm ordering some new Salifert tests in the next day or two so I can get an accurate idea of where the levels are at in the tank and go from there to treat it. I've heard that higher Mag levels will get rid of it so I will try that first.
As for the light I'm not 100% happy with it and would like some more control, don't get me wrong its done great but I want something better. I'm looking at getting one of the AI Hydra's to upgrade to. I'd like to get more into SPS so a better light would be nice. That would then give me an excuse to setup a frag tank because whats the point in having a perfectly good light sitting around doing nothing [emoji12]. But the light is the least important thing at the moment so its on the back burner for now at least.
I'll be adding a dosing pump setup and ATO to the tank as well, so I can automate the system a bit so that its easier for me to leave it for a few days if I want to do a roadtrip to get new livestock from Perth. The tank is also starting to use more supplements than what waterchanges can replace so I'll need to start dosing to keep up with the growth. Its a very encouraging to see coraline starting to take off now as well.

Hey Rory, nice to see this thread pop up in my subscription list! Happy New year, please post more often.
Hahaha it's been a long time hasn't it!! Thank you mate and same to you, hope you are keeping well. I certainly will be posting more often now that the tank is doing a lot better šŸ‘Œ

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Back