Gregs 100 gallon build

gpkozmp

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1798666

Well I just wanted to post something in here for other's in the area to see what I am doing? I do have the main thread in "new to hobby" but I have slowly seen less and less people viewing.

Right now I am waiting on the floors to get done but I am hoping that that comes in a couple months, at first it was the paint on the walls and that got done this past weekend and next is the floors. Once those are done I have to decide if I want an in basement sump or just go under the stand. What are your opinion's?

If I go under the tank right now I have a 29 gallon which should be good enough but doesn't really have enough room for the skimmer. I bought the skimmer after everything was built, I know my mistake, but it fits under there. I just need to make room for it. I was planning on not having anything directly under the power supply, but what are your opinion's folks. I might take the power source and turn it up and down to give me more room. Or I was thinking of getting maybe a standard 55 gallon for a sump that will give me more water volume than a 29.

Okay I ranted a little what are your thought's?

If you go with a basement sump, you are going to need a big pump to get the water upstairs. Probably a Hammerhead. If you do go down in the basement, I would go with the biggest sump you can. Move volume, more stability. Also gives you more room for macros and easier maintenance.

Okay well I am now thinking of getting me a 55 gallon for a sump and I have decided on a return pump of a Mag Drive 9.5 and then for my skimmer I was going to get a Mag Drive 18. The guy I bought the skimmer from said I would need a pump that pumped more than 1800 gph, so the 18 would work for me.

The reason why I was wanting a 55 gallon for a sump is because I need a lot of room for my skimmer and a pump in one compartment unless I used my skimmer external but I am not sure if I want to do that or not, I am leaning more towards not if I can find a 55 for cheaper.

I have decided to turn my 8 oultet DJ American powerstrip sideways and mount it to the side of the stand. The only other thing I am running into is my wiring for my lighting and the lenght of the cords so I have to work on that.

Next is my floors and then hopefully the wife will let me put the tank up.

it is an MRC M2 with the double injector here is a picture of it...

Attachments

• MRC Skimmer.jpg
    MRC Skimmer.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 3
Thanks murf...do you know when the next meeting is?

Now all I need to do is figure out my sump size and then after that I have to figure out how I am going to set everything up in my stand. With this skimmer I am not sure how much room I am going to have under there and with the 29 gallon sump I don't have that much anyway. I might have to have the skimmer out of the sump and drill the 29 unless I can pick up a 55 gallon tank for the sump.

Dang I might not be able to make that it is my daughter's 1st birthday and I can't miss that but we might not do anything til later so I might be able to show up...will keep my finger's crossed.

different project

different project

Well my wife and I have been wanting a toy box for al ong time now and I haven't really had the wood but the other day I was looking around the garage and saw a potential jackpot. I had a bunch of 2x4's laying around that were leftover cut's from putting up my fence so I ripped them into three's and then put them together. I had some hinges from what I was going to use on my canopy, but went a different way with that so had them laying around. This is the result of some creativity;

Attachments

• 0907001833.jpg
    0907001833.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 0907001833a.jpg
    0907001833a.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 4
  • 0907001833b.jpg
    0907001833b.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 0907001833c.jpg
    0907001833c.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 0907001834.jpg
    0907001834.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 3
So I am going to be running with a 6 bulb, T5 setup and I was wondering if anybody had any picture's of anything they might have. I was told a while ago that T5's were the best way to go as far as growth and everything but I am just wondering what other people have above their tank's. Let me know what you go...

Used to run T-5's (4x54w, 4x39w, 4x54w) growth and color were great, but was overdriving them, and couldn't keep them cool enough. They kept popping and adding heat to the tank. At $25/bulb it was adding up.

DSCN5111.jpg

Just swapped them out for LED's (10yr life expectancy and zero heat) but still working on a canopy to hold them.

DSCN5665.jpg

Yeah I would like to pick up some LED's but they are so expensive. I mean maybe in a few years I will have the money to be able to get an LED setup but as of now all I need is 4 more T5 bulbs.

I did a water test and actually took picture's that way I can show people like other's sometimes do. My Ph looks a little low but not too much. I have to get used to my Magnisuim test kit and my calcium test kit, maybe when I have more time.

Attachments

• Ph.jpg
    Ph.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Ammonia.jpg
    Ammonia.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Nitrite.jpg
    Nitrite.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Nitrate.jpg
    Nitrate.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 3
Greg, pH is fine. How old is the test kit? I had issues of all my ammonia readings showing 0.25, all the time. I tested using a friends and it was 0. Reagents expire.

for the cost of your 4 bulbs, it would pay for 1/3 of an LED unit. You can get the Evolution LED units, like Eric and I have for less than $300 in a group buy from Reefkoi.

I am just not sure if I want to spend the money for LED's as apposed to just staying with the T5's. So I am going to just stick with the T5's for now.

I bought a 55 gallon tank that I am going to use for my sump so I am going to have a good sized sump and I might go with a refugium but here are my idea's for my sump...let me know what you think...

Attachments

• 0914001604.jpg
    0914001604.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 3
  • untitled.bmp
    101.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 091400160301.jpg
    091400160301.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 2
Option 1 is the better one but take the skimmer area and move it to where you have the fuge area. You want to have your water go through the fuge before it gets skimmed out.

Okay with that being said would I need to have 3 piece's of glass on each side or would I be good with just the one from the skimmer area to the return area?

I am going to try and attend the meeting on sunday might only be there for about an hour cause of my daughter's party but we will see.

Thanks to Murfman I have decided to go ahead and hopefully have enough room to make my sump look like this? That "T" is either going to be that or a "Y".

If you have any advice to give let me know...

Attachments

• sump setup.bmp
    97.8 KB · Views: 4
I'd move the bubble trap to the return side, that is where you want to keep bubbles from reaching. Going to have to disagree with Paul on this one, I run my water to my skimmer first to remove as much detritus as I can before the water reaches the fuge... Else it just gets trapped in your macro along with any substrate you have and requires manual removal to get rid of it. Also, I'd lose the DSB in the fuge, if you insist on having one, I'd put it in a container or small diameter bucket to allow for easier removal down the road.

I run:
Skimmer zone 1
Barebottom Fuge zone 2
Return zone 3

This allows me to remove the skimmer and chaeto, pump 100% of the water out of the sump and then and shop vac. Accomplishes removing all excess detritus from the sump and a nice water change upon refill.

Just my $.02

Back