High Nutrient Macro Algae/Sea Grass Reef

Yes, definitely a win-win! I like that approach. In fact, my tanks need a LOT of work to become picture worthy, but I guess I'll try and get some good pics soon. My fish in both tanks are doing well though. I've been a bit lazy lately, taking the less work part a bit too far :D
I understand about being a little lazy. I just used my magnet cleaner. Sorry about the format but Google photos is the only way I know to show my photos. The murky photo is of my flame scallop. It recently climbed up the rock and attached itself which I thought was super cool.

I went on a 10 day vacation to visit kids and grandkids that live out of town. I asked our son who lives in the area if he would check on my tank twice. I asked him to feed my fish frozen food, fill up my ATO reservoir, and check on the tank that it's working properly. On his 2nd visit he called in a panic because the temperature controller was registering over 100°F! I was quite alarmed but when I asked my son if the tank was cloudy, he said no and that the fish looked normal. That comforted me and I knew that the tank could not be that hot. Then my son saw the "stick on thermometer" and it was in the normal range. Turns out that my temperature controller is dying and done for.

I went on a 10 day vacation to visit kids and grandkids that live out of town. I asked our son who lives in the area if he would check on my tank twice. I asked him to feed my fish frozen food, fill up my ATO reservoir, and check on the tank that it's working properly. On his 2nd visit he called in a panic because the temperature controller was registering over 100°F! I was quite alarmed but when I asked my son if the tank was cloudy, he said no and that the fish looked normal. That comforted me and I knew that the tank could not be that hot. Then my son saw the "stick on thermometer" and it was in the normal range. Turns out that my temperature controller is dying and done for.
It’s probably somewhere in the thread but what controller do you have?

It’s probably somewhere in the thread but what controller do you have?
It's an ink bird. I bought it used probably 15 years ago. The controller part quit working a good while ago and I was just using the temperature probe and digital read out to know the temp at a glance. Anyway, I got my $'s worth so I am not complaining.

I went to a lfs this past week since we were out that way. They had some nice looking fish and I have been wanting to restock and my birthday is coming up this month. So I came home with a Midas blenny and a royal Gramma. They are both on the smaller side so I am pretty sure that they are young. I did not QT as I have not had good luck with that and this is a lfs that I trust. The blenny are that evening and they royal Gramma began eating the next day. When I get a new fish to start eating, usually their survival rate of adjusting to my tank is excellent. Both are coming out and no other fish in the tank are bothering them so I decided that it is safe to name them. The Midas is Jack Blenny, ( my hubby came up with that) and the Gramma is Violet because she is more shy, like a shrinking violet. That brings my total in the display to 9 fish and I have 2 in the sump. I would still love a jawfish from KP Aquatics but they don't have any right now.

Congrats on the new fish. Always fun to make an addition. There are a couple things I want from KP as well. They are out of a lot of stuff right now but, Philipp told me he'd be out collecting sometime this month. So, hopefully they will be restocked soon. Keep checking back.

What day is your B-Day Dawn? Both of my Grandmothers were born in February, my wife's B-Day is today and mine is on the 18th.

I went to a lfs this past week since we were out that way. They had some nice looking fish and I have been wanting to restock and my birthday is coming up this month. So I came home with a Midas blenny and a royal Gramma. They are both on the smaller side so I am pretty sure that they are young. I did not QT as I have not had good luck with that and this is a lfs that I trust. The blenny are that evening and they royal Gramma began eating the next day. When I get a new fish to start eating, usually their survival rate of adjusting to my tank is excellent. Both are coming out and no other fish in the tank are bothering them so I decided that it is safe to name them. The Midas is Jack Blenny, ( my hubby came up with that) and the Gramma is Violet because she is more shy, like a shrinking violet. That brings my total in the display to 9 fish and I have 2 in the sump. I would still love a jawfish from KP Aquatics but they don't have any right now.
I’ve been eyeballing those lovely little jaw fish myself…would love to have a mated pair

Congrats on the new fish. Always fun to make an addition. There are a couple things I want from KP as well. They are out of a lot of stuff right now but, Philipp told me he'd be out collecting sometime this month. So, hopefully they will be restocked soon. Keep checking back.

What day is your B-Day Dawn? Both of my Grandmothers were born in February, my wife's B-Day is today and mine is on the 18th.
Thanks griss. It is fun having some new fish and seeing the tank look more active. Yes, I also read that the jawfish are seasonal so I am on their waiting list but don't expect to see/hear that they have any until close to May.
Happy B-day to your wife! Our Aunt that we help a lot has a B-day tomorrow. My b-day is the 17th.

I’ve been eyeballing those lovely little jaw fish myself…would love to have a mated pair
I was thinking a mated pair would be cool also but I think I will settle for just 1 since I already have 9 fish in a 56 gallon tank. Everyone is doing so well that I hate to push it too far. They sure are cute though and I heard that mated pairs are twice the fun!!!

Dawn,
Double check if your sandbed is deep enough for a Jawfish.
My sand bed is very deep on the right side of the tank, about 6" in the front and probably 8" in the back. That side of the tank has small rubble rock too so the jawfish can use it to support it's burrow. Also my rock is down on the glass so no toppling rock structures.

I bought a new power head, "Carefree Fish DC Wave Maker". It was a low profile, very reasonably priced unit and had good reviews so I am going to take a chance on it. If it holds up and works as well as it is now, I will be thrilled. It is virtually silent and has way more flow than my tank needs. Programming it was a challenge for me but anything tech always is. Anyway, I think I managed to get it to a satisfactory setting and will probably tweak it a bit to optimize. In a few months I will let you know how it's doing.

I also ordered "All for Reef". Since I have significantly decreased my water changes, I was worried that my coral would suffer from not getting enough alk, cal, and mag since Coral vite is the only additive I put in the tank and none of those are in Coral vite. I won't need to add much All for Reef because I have predominantly softies and only a few LPS. Instant Ocean was meeting the reef's requirements for the big 3 and I know that as an artificial saltwater mix that it is lower in those elements than other artificial saltwater mixes. I guess I will start off with a very small amount added and then just test til I get to the parameter I want.

Back