High Nutrient Macro Algae/Sea Grass Reef

Took a look at the PH last night. Looks similar to the Hygger I had a while back. That was a great powerhead until the velcro holding it to the wall let go and the controller fell into the fuge:rolleyes: But, like your Carefree, the programming was a bit challenging at first.

Mine is held with magnets and seems plenty strong. The controller has a plastic loop for a nail or peg to hold it to the wall. I almost bought a Hygger but then saw this one. It has a nem guard too. I just took a video today so check it out.

Last edited:
I saw your video on YT. The tank looks fantastic as always. I'm curious about the wavemaker too!
Hi Kevin, so far so good. I am super happy with it. It has a fair amount of spread, came with a new guard and is totally dead silent. If it doesn't quit on me, I am going to consider it a great find. If it were the only WaveMaker in my tank, I probably would have bought 2 of them and linked them. However, with the turbelle and the return pump, this 1 WaveMaker is all I need.

I ordered a jawfish, coral banded shrimp, and a red ball sponge from KP Aquatics last week. They came and were excellently packaged as always. The jawfish came with its own little PVC pipe to help it feel secure. Its a spazzy little fish and twice I have found it in the overflow. I am not sure but maybe my YWG is bullying it.

This week I got 2 pipe organ frags from one of our kid's family. I tried pipe organ way back when I first got into reefing but did not have long term success. I am ready to try again.

This week I got 2 pipe organ frags from one of our kid's family. I tried pipe organ way back when I first got into reefing but did not have long term success. I am ready to try again.
Yes, Pipe Organs were very available in the early/mid 90s. I never met anyone who was able to keep them long term back then. Best of luck.

I covered the area the jawfish stays near with a baby net to give the jawfish more protection from my other fish
20240228_154855.jpg
. I put some frozen food down near the burrow hole and saw the new jawfish come up and eat. That was very encouraging. I may make a bigger PVC house for the jawfish since the baby net is not very attractive in the tank.

Well, I wanted to report on my KP Aquatics order. The shrimp and red ball sponge seem to be doing well. I have seen no sign of the jawfish however for over a week which is upsetting. A lot of my rock that sits on the glass was undermined even before I got the jawfish so it's possible that it made a burrow under there but no way to know. I haven't seen a body which is why I continue to hope and yet with the CUC I have I probably would not see a body. So it's not the positive report I wanted to give but it is what it is.

Hope your Jawfish is okay Dawn. I personally have never had good luck with Yellow or Pearly Jawfish. Dusky Jawfish on the other hand, I've had great luck with.

I've been watching KP's website for them to restock items as Philipp said he was going to check his Ricordea spots in late Feb/early March but, nothing so far. I'd really like to add more Ricordea and some other items.

Hope your Jawfish is okay Dawn. I personally have never had good luck with Yellow or Pearly Jawfish. Dusky Jawfish on the other hand, I've had great luck with.

I've been watching KP's website for them to restock items as Philipp said he was going to check his Ricordea spots in late Feb/early March but, nothing so far. I'd really like to add more Ricordea and some other items.
You are the 3rd aquarist to share that you did not have long term success with most jawfish. I may try one more time when my tank has less tank mates and no ywg. If I do, I will definitely go for a dusky jawfish next time. Thanks for sharing.
I hope Philipp gets your ricordia soon!

Dawn, all the Duskys I’ve had have been real characters. If I ever get around to the upgrade, I’ll definitely add one.

Ricordea (but not many) back in stock today at KP. I got 4 single mouth polyps, one double mouth polyp, a Chalk Bass, a Common star, some snails and hermits.

Back