Incredible!!! Zilla 3!!

KevinC said:
Oh, about $300/month using an Electric Coop (4.7 cents/KWH).

Kevin

Wow!! Isnt 4.7c a lot per KWH? I'm in SoCal and I HAVE to be paying more than you in St. Louis. In the grand scheme of things, $300 isnt a rediculous bill, considering what you have running on/in the tank, but it's enough to scare me in Socal when I'm setting up a 180.

I need to go look at my last bill for what I'm paying per KWH........:eek:

I'm not even near your area but I happened to come across this tank by another thread and it is AMAZING!!!!!! And in the feeding video what are they feeding?

This was taken from Kevin's Personal Home Page:

"Zilla 3 holds about 5000 gallons of water and sits on a 15 foot by 20 foot, 8 inch thick rebar reinforced concrete pad poured over packed gravel as part of the basement floor. The basement has extra floor drains, a 2.5 ton dedicated Air Conditioner and Honeywell fresh-air exchanger for humidity control, and an extra 100 amp electrical sub panel tied into the optional 400 amp service to power the tank. Zilla 3 used a similar construction technique to Zilla 2, using Advantech sub floor rather than plywood, and yellow-pine ribs instead of fir. The glass is iron-free Ã"šÃ‚¾Ã¢â"šÂ¬Ã‚ Diamante (similar to Starphire but Ã"šÃ‚¾: without the need for lamination) and consist of (2) 39ââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ x 39ââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ panes and (1) 75ââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ x 39ââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ pane set in the front of the octagon tank. Base frame for Zilla III is 12 feet by 16 feet with a height of 4 feet. Something like 45 gallons of epoxy resin were used in the constructions. "

Kevin's old school. He's been doing this longer than most and built his first two Zilla tanks before that was available. So I think he went a different route and might ahve saved money there.

Its kinda funny seeing some one standing in their tank to aquascape though...

Nick

Don't you just love these "timeless" threads ? hehe

On a serious note, I hope we get to go back to Kevin's for a meeting soon, I just love that tank!

PS.. Kevin, let me know if you ever need the services of a SCUBA diver for your tank ;) !

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6903147#post6903147 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rottielover
On a serious note, I hope we get to go back to Kevin's for a meeting soon, I just love that tank!

Visit to ZILLA 3 - 5000 Gallon Reef Tank
- April 8th, 2006

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6900897#post6900897 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by maxxII
Its kinda funny seeing some one standing in their tank to aquascape though...

LOL, I have prob been in and out of my 600gal (96x48x30) like a hundred times now... It kind weird to stand in a fish tank with so much room, My Zilla egg doesn't even compare to Kevin's tank LOL...

I think that tank should have it's picture in the dictionary next to "unnecessarily overdone" :p I just think that having it looks more like a holding cell for a public aquarium than a reef tank. If it were my money- I would have gone with a 1-2G tank with sides you could actually see through and at a height where I could look at it without bending over. JMO

Back