Many DIY Plans & Suppliers

Stand and hood designs would be cool as I know I'm currently looking for one and have come across a few but other DIY'res here may have better links or their own pics. Have a 72x24x30 glass 220G I need to do a stand and canopy for.

looking to do a DIY Sump Refugium looking to see if anyone has plans or material list or places to get the items need i already have a 20 gallon long tanks
thanks

80% of the links on here don't work like this one

and that's why it has a *broken Links* tag indicating that it doesn't work.

also, I just tried 20 links in a row and 19 of them worked. far cry from 80%

...thats pretty damn good considering some of the links are up to 14 years old!

Hi All,

Any advice would be great.

have been battling nitrates for a while now - and i have accepted that despite decreasing feeding, water changes, low levels of fish, and wofting rocks and EVERYTHING else, i 100% need to install a sump, with a skimmer and run a NP bio pellet reactor..

So..background story over & onto the point of the thread..

I currently have a (around about) 100 gal acrylic marine system - been running about 4 months).. i have sourced and plan to install a sump below it (space is a non-issue for now).

So: Sump size is 30 X 18 X 12 inches (28 US Gallons) - big enough? also - are separators within the Sump 100% necessary (please let me know about this as I am planning to not install seperators)?

I plan on having - filter sponges, rowaphos, active carbon (these 3 I already have in the system), Bubble Magus Curve 5 Skimmer, Nutrifix Media Reactor (goodbye nitrates), and pump wise I will use my spare Eheim compact 3000. also I will run filter socks to collect large bits of debris. I will move some live rock from the DT into the sump too once it's all up & running.

So firstly - if anyone thinks my plan of the above is not good enough or is not going to work feel free to criticise - i want to learn!

But mainly, i have the drill i need and the bits... the only thing i am unsure about is the size of bulkheads i need.... i am not great with DIY but my dad is and is happy to help, providing i know what i need to do....

Am i correct in thinking that after drilling the holes, bulkheads are all i need? i've read that you dont even need to use silicon with them? (or is that not true?) What size bulkheads should i use? Based on my reading I think i need 1" for the hole which is going from tank -> sump?.. would the hole be the same size for the return side of the system?

Can anyone recommend what size both holes should be?

Done quite a lot of research into the equipment etc i'll need but this is more to do with my lack of understanding the real difference in hole sizes... the pump i have should easily handle the flow rate i require (or so the LFS told me..)..

If anyone could help that would be much appreciated... cannot wait to get nitrates down to a respectable level and start spending my savings on corals instead of nothing!!

1 - does the sump plan & equipment sound good/able to do the job?
2 - what size bulkhead should I use for the return pipe? what size for the outlet pipe?
3 - do I need to have dividers in the sump? are the 100% necessary?

Thanks in advance guys!

Calvin

Several of the links are dead and I was wondering if anyone had an updated list of sources for acrylic panels for reasonable prices. Also, I noticed mention of diamond bits for cutting? Is this a requirement or can you use an ordinary wood cutting tools? Another question on solvents. Do you use caulk or the liquid sealant (can't remember what it's called just that it's pretty hazardous to handle). Do you cut joints in your panels before you attach them? Or just attach them smooth to smooth edge. How do you avoid saw marks on the acrylic when you cut it or do you buff them out. Thanks.

Back