Mark's 150 gallon

I’ve always found the cali to be a super fast grower when it’s happy.
Mark have you ever had your lokani high in the tank? If so, how did it do?

I’ve always found the cali to be a super fast grower when it’s happy.
Mark have you ever had your lokani high in the tank? If so, how did it do?

I have not, and I'm tempted.

So I have a Palmer's Blue milli which is in a very bright spot and has been brown with slight blue highlights for over a year. It's now in poor health, really struggling. I made a frag which has colored up a great blue in lower light and is in great health.

Once the Xenia is gone I want to move the big Palmer's, if it survives, to a lower position and then try either the big Lokani or a frag up where the Palmer's is now.

Not having Xenia is such an exciting prospect because my scaping always assumed Xenia would be an issue. I just have to get through this melting stage without any damage to the acros. :worried:

Really great tank and hopefully xenia will be a thing of the past soon. Question, what is the coral in your tank circled below in red? I have the same type and about the same growth patter, size and color but never got a name/species from the person whom I got it from..
coral.jpg

Really great tank and hopefully xenia will be a thing of the past soon. Question, what is the coral in your tank circled below in red? I have the same type and about the same growth patter, size and color but never got a name/species from the person whom I got it from..
View attachment 400382

Same, unfortunately. It was an unknown growing in a LFS display and I asked for a frag. Under Metal Halide (Radium specifically) it's spectacular, I have yet to achieve those colors under T5/LED. Colors for me are a decent mint green with purple blush tips. Under MH it was a vivid mint green with intense purple tips and a little blue mixed in.

Nitrates still near 0, maybe .5 if I imagine some pink.

Xenia is rapidly shrinking, sump stinks like Xenia, skimmate not really changed.

Same, unfortunately. It was an unknown growing in a LFS display and I asked for a frag. Under Metal Halide (Radium specifically) it's spectacular, I have yet to achieve those colors under T5/LED. Colors for me are a decent mint green with purple blush tips. Under MH it was a vivid mint green with intense purple tips and a little blue mixed in.

I think perhaps its tri color valida as I have a known colony of this coral as well and it looks just like it in both form and coloring.

The death meltdown has begin, 6 days after dosing.

The Xenia is mostly gone already, the daisy polyps just now dying. There's a ton of them, this will be a lot of nutrients released. /fingers crossed.

Xenia is gone, and some SPS showing loss of color. KH climbed from 7 to 7.6 or so. I've been dosing NOPOX and 1 drop of PhosphateRx daily to control nutrients.

Overall health looks ok, and the birdsnest I use to judge growth still has long white tips so I don't think anything overly bad is happening, but I'll find out a few weeks from now.

Nice. It worked. Always nice when ‘it works’ with the reef. Doesn’t happen often!
So nothing remains of the xenia?
Marc, second pic, dead centre, is that clove polyp? Any effect on them? I see they are closed up but don’t look dead..

Nice. It worked. Always nice when "˜it works' with the reef. Doesn't happen often!
So nothing remains of the xenia?
Marc, second pic, dead centre, is that clove polyp? Any effect on them? I see they are closed up but don't look dead..

Second or third. I have some blue cloves but they never spread, just show up now and then. This Fendo stuff is also supposed to kill them. Third pick is daisy polyps which I like the look of but holy cow, they were also becoming invasive. They spread slower and are easy to tear off so I never gave them much thought. Also dead and rotting away.

Right. Third. Hm! Interesting.. I may try this super fendo stuff for some colonial brown polyps..

Very small doses, this was 10 drops of a 10% solution. I bet 5 drops would have worked almost as well.

Did a check on the Acros this morning, all had fantastic polyp extension so right now they are still healthy. The Red Robin is super hairy at night. The only coral not looking good is the Palmer's Blue, which frankly is looking close to death. The frag I cut from it is not only healthy but blue, which tells me it's getting cooked under too much light. I'll move it as soon as the tank stabilizes a little more and I can make room for it.

Without the Xenia pest I can place acros anywhere I want. Very exciting.

Purple Stylo lost a lower branch. It never loses branches. This morning it was completely gone but it appears the part nearest the base is in the same place. This was covered in Xenia last week. I hate coincidences. KH 7.2

vrMcTvL.jpg

oU1eDgE.jpg

XZK4FQe.jpg

haeNlpt.jpg

oL31RIB.jpg

wG34Qrr.jpg

Orange passion
xXSI4Hy.jpg

Vivid Rainbow
1QSrey2.jpg

Nothing new to report. The Purple Stylo had 3 lower branches RTN but seems to be stable. Some browning here and there, but not consistent and seems to be improving. The skimmer STUNK and was full of chunky goodness. Emptied 3 times so far. I am dosing 5ml NOPOX every 3 days and 2 drops of PhosphateRx every other day. Glass gets algae 6 hours after cleaning so the in tank nutrient load is pretty high. Nitrate still tests near 0, and I am not testing PO4 but I assume it's raised a bit.

Clowns delayed eggs laying by a week but now have a smaller than normal batch in the typical location.

Stay strong tank!

It's a blessing and a curse to be able to get rid of these corals pretty easily with chemicals. I went through the same thing in my biocube for gsp with fluke tab as it has the same effect, and after spending hours pulling out gsp a few times, i gave up and went the chemical route.

I remember back in 05-06 when AEFW came on the scene, I was dipping in fluke tab and the first time I did it, my xenia died off and wouldn't ever grow again. It was a nice beginner frag to distribute, but I could never get rid of it fast enough.

Hang in there, good luck, and I'm excited to see what you fill all of the empty space with!

Are you keeping an emergency 20% WC on hand while doing this clean out?

Stay strong tank!

It's a blessing and a curse to be able to get rid of these corals pretty easily with chemicals. I went through the same thing in my biocube for gsp with fluke tab as it has the same effect, and after spending hours pulling out gsp a few times, i gave up and went the chemical route.

I remember back in 05-06 when AEFW came on the scene, I was dipping in fluke tab and the first time I did it, my xenia died off and wouldn't ever grow again. It was a nice beginner frag to distribute, but I could never get rid of it fast enough.

Hang in there, good luck, and I'm excited to see what you fill all of the empty space with!

Are you keeping an emergency 20% WC on hand while doing this clean out?

I have the water ready but not mixed yet. So sort of? It's been a long time since this tank had a water change, which is an additional risk factor.

Is this stuff known to kill AEFW? I know it's a dewormer but I have yet to see it kill a worm, or snail, or anything except these softies.

I'm not sure about fendo, but fluke tabs are mebendazole and something called dylox. Nasty stuff. But back in the day I recall that it was the only successful dip for frags to prevent aefw. A by-product was that it would kill xenia at low doses, and gsp and clove polyps at higher doses. I never lost a snail, worm, or shrimp, but I also never dosed the tank with much of the tab powder.

To kill off my gsp, I only had to add the slightest bit of dust from the bag into my tank, and within days the gsp melted away.

Fluke tabs for killing AEFW:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=642959

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1179242&page=2

And for actually killing corals: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2153276

Thanks for the links!

I'm not sounding the all clear yet but color is coming back, and fairly rapidly. I believe the majority of the die off is over.

The every other day dosing of PhosphateRx seems to be having positive results. I've stopped dosing NOPOX, I did so right when the Purple Stylo started to lose a branch.

The Hawkins has exploded in growth during this whole ordeal.

alZAulQ.jpg

KMIk93L.jpg

sDqAAJ6.jpg

Hfaz8CO.jpg

TIEVtB4.jpg

Back