Whats the diff ?

802reef

Hey all

I bought the frag in pic one ( the duller of the two green acros) from my LFS and it was sold to me as a " Bali green slimer" , when I got it it looked just like it does now. Same color. I bought the second green acro ( the bright one ) from vivid aquaria and it arrived yesterday. All corals are doing great. I'm running the reef breeders photon v2 pro 48", water parameters seem fine and I havr been dosing with " Kalk plus 2 " twice a week. I just started feeding with reef-roids.

My question is - why are the two " Bali slimers " so different in color ? Is the duller one just not a real Bali slimer? Is there something I'm missing and will the new slimer eventually dull down to this one ? That's obviously what I'm trying to avoid.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20240515_161908.jpg
    20240515_161908.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • 20240515_161916.jpg
    20240515_161916.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
So Bali green slimer is Acropora Yongeii. Produces lots of slime, yellow/green in color, grows fast with white growth tips. A lot of recent green slimers (including my current one) are Acropora abrolhensis or Acropora aspera. These both also produces a ton of slime, darker green in color with fuzzy polyps and orange growth tips (fast grower). Not my pics Bali on top, Abrolhensis on the bottom.

DSC_0325.jpegtd_abrol_1128.jpeg

Based on your pics the bright green is likely a Bali Green Slimer. Hard to tell on the left if it’s just likely bad color or darker like A. abrolhensis or A. aspera

So Bali green slimer is Acropora Yongeii. Produces lots of slime, yellow/green in color, grows fast with white growth tips. A lot of recent green slimers (including my current one) are Acropora abrolhensis or Acropora aspera. These both also produces a ton of slime, darker green in color with fuzzy polyps and orange growth tips (fast grower). Not my pics Bali on top, Abrolhensis on the bottom.

DSC_0325.jpegtd_abrol_1128.jpeg

Based on your pics the bright green is likely a Bali Green Slimer. Hard to tell on the left if it’s just likely bad color or darker like A. abrolhensis or A. aspera

Hey that's awesome information. Thank you !

And on top of that, many corals names slimers come in different colors. I have a Blue Slimer.

A. Youngeii grows extremely fast if water parameters are right.

Well also even if they are the same coral if they come from different environments that can be different colors. There are allot of things that affect color like nutrient levels, lighting etc.

I have had corals change completely different colors before.

Back