NOY's Sun Corals

I am in the process of reading through your whole thread but in the meantime can you tell me about your brine shrimp. I feed my dendro freshly hatched brine shrimp sometimes. My question is where do you get your brine shrimp, do you raise them if so can you explain the process. For some reason ours never grow big like yours. My mom has dwarf sea horses so she hatches brine shrimp ever day to feed them. She has tried and failed at getting them to grow into adults, any advice? Also so far what I have seen of this thread makes me come to the conclusion that you are the king of Suns!!! All I can say is wow! You have my complete respect and admiration lol!!!

I am in the process of reading through your whole thread but in the meantime can you tell me about your brine shrimp. I feed my dendro freshly hatched brine shrimp sometimes. My question is where do you get your brine shrimp, do you raise them if so can you explain the process. For some reason ours never grow big like yours. My mom has dwarf sea horses so she hatches brine shrimp ever day to feed them. She has tried and failed at getting them to grow into adults, any advice? Also so far what I have seen of this thread makes me come to the conclusion that you are the king of Suns!!! All I can say is wow! You have my complete respect and admiration lol!!!

No need to try to grow out the shrimp. You can target feed new born brine shrimp directly onto the corals. I do this on a regular basis. The new born shrimp are probably more nutritious than trying to gut load adults.

No need to try to grow out the shrimp. You can target feed new born brine shrimp directly onto the corals. I do this on a regular basis. The new born shrimp are probably more nutritious than trying to gut load adults.

Thanks! That's what I have been doing, so I'll just keep doing it!

Thanks! That's what I have been doing, so I'll just keep doing it!

its not cost effective to grow out bbs to adult unless you are doing on a commercial scale. i get live brine from a LFS who in turn gets a large vat of the stuff from a commercial source. I feed live only occasionally - maybe once a week at best.

its not cost effective to grow out bbs to adult unless you are doing on a commercial scale. i get live brine from a LFS who in turn gets a large vat of the stuff from a commercial source. I feed live only occasionally - maybe once a week at best.

Thanks Noy! My mom raises dwarf seahorses which she hatches brine shrimp for so I have fresh hatched readily available. She was interested in trying to grow them out into adults for purposes other than just corals but hasn't had much success. When I saw your video I thought maybe if she did get them to adult size I could also feed those occasionally.

what temperature do you keep your tank @Noy and what would you say is the ideal temperature to keep tubastrea and dendrophyllia?

Last edited:
Recent and Past acquisitions

Recent and Past acquisitions

Just a few updates on cool stuff i got recently.
Please excuse the photo quality really need to clean the tank glass a bit. Also, I need to adjust the lighting to a more narrow spectrum.

Balanophyllia (probably)
This specimen is colouring up very nicely. You see the green hue ring surrounding the mouth. It was a very distressed specimen when i got it - almost colourless. Eats very much like a Rhizo the way the mouth opens up - not sure whether this makes it a Balanophyllia. This one is getting Rhizo-sized. However, it doesn't grow runners like a Rhizo.

IMG_2561

A different Balano. A little more yellow and smaller than the prevous one.

IMG_2562

Either a yellow diaphana or according to a recent 2014 article an unidentified species. This is a very difficult species to rear - i started from a small *but very distressed) colony to losing all but 1 polyp and then having it come back again. It probably took me 2 months before i got it to open.

IMG_2563

Pink/Purple Dendro
Very excited about this find. Not even close to identifying it. I have never seen this coloration before - sorry for the bad photo - i have to clear the gorgs out of the way for a better shot. Its finally starting to eat.

IMG_2566

Monomyces
While doing maintenance i put my original colony too close to the Rhizos and it got stung to deal. Reloaded with 3.
IMG_2568

Walking Dendros
So excited about these. They are true to their name and walk all around the tank (so you need to "fence" them off so they don't get stung or sting others. This is a super cool coral. A symbiotic worm inside the coral enables it to move around.

IMG_2570

T. Faulknari (probably)
Completely excited about this. Found this decaying in a LFS - you can see most of the flesh has disintegrated between the polyps. I thought this was a goner when the polyp would not open for 2 months. It took putting in a new powerhead and pointing it at the coral to get any type of response. Now it opens regularly so i hope to restore it. You can't really see it from this angle but the polyps are very sparely situated.

IMG_2572

Last edited:
Noy, you are much too busy to care for these new corals. I would be more than happy to take them off of your hands to help out. Just call.

Noy, I'm loving your thread and all your amazing finds! could you possibly pm who you purchased the monomyces and diaphanas from? I'd love to get some.

Regardless, Do you notice a significant size difference in T.Micranthas as opposed to other tubastreas? mine are more the size of dendros than other suns.

Noy, I'm loving your thread and all your amazing finds! could you possibly pm who you purchased the monomyces and diaphanas from? I'd love to get some.

Regardless, Do you notice a significant size difference in T.Micranthas as opposed to other tubastreas? mine are more the size of dendros than other suns.

I live in canada - i got the monomyces from a canadian wholesale/retailer (bigshow frags). About a year ago they were being sold as Rhizo or baby Rhizos all over North America. The diaphana I got from another LFS (NAFB - North American Fish breeders). I don't think either one is setup to do exports. You best bet is to develop some relationship with local wholesalers/retailers to get them to order NPS corals for you - a lot of LFS don't bother because of low turnover and mortality rates. Wholesales often get very interesting stuff as part of a larger shipment - but most retailers (or sub-wholesalers) don't order those because its not economical. I'm fortunate in that we have a few LFS that do their own importing so there is often some NPS corals as part of a larger shipment.

The micranthas polyps can grow much bigger than "normal" coccinea's. Some species of Tubastraea (like faulknari) natural have very big polyps - these are very uncommon.

Noy, you are much too busy to care for these new corals. I would be more than happy to take them off of your hands to help out. Just call.
:)

I live in canada - i got the monomyces from a canadian wholesale/retailer (bigshow frags). About a year ago they were being sold as Rhizo or baby Rhizos all over North America. The diaphana I got from another LFS (NAFB - North American Fish breeders). I don't think either one is setup to do exports. You best bet is to develop some relationship with local wholesalers/retailers to get them to order NPS corals for you - a lot of LFS don't bother because of low turnover and mortality rates. Wholesales often get very interesting stuff as part of a larger shipment - but most retailers (or sub-wholesalers) don't order those because its not economical. I'm fortunate in that we have a few LFS that do their own importing so there is often some NPS corals as part of a larger shipment.

The micranthas polyps can grow much bigger than "normal" coccinea's. Some species of Tubastraea (like faulknari) natural have very big polyps - these are very uncommon.

:)
Thanks for the info Noy, that's my current struggle, cause most of the whole salers down here in florida don't seem to really get access to any of these species... i'll keep searching!

Noy, if you happen to get a frag of a pink/ purple dendro pls pls let me know. I am driving distance from you ;) I am also interested in a black/ green tubastrea. I'll have to check with Bigshow next time I go to visit.

Last edited:
Noy, if you happen to get a frag of a pink/ purple dendro pls pls let me know. I am driving distance from you ;) I am also interested in a black/ green tubastrea. I'll have to check with Bigshow next time I go to visit.

will do. bigshow brings in nps stuff regularly.

Beautiful tank, Ive been looking for ideas for a spare 20gal and I think I just found my inspiration.

Thanks, thats what these threads are for - getting ideas from others!

Back