Rebuild and recovery of a dead tank

You might have a mushroom problem when your dragon is throwing them up...
IMG_20231203_121455110.jpg

Here's a little bit better picture of that dragon. I got it back in 2011 a gift from my son. It makes a great cave entrance now.
2012-01-14_12-39-21_688.jpg

And the submarine I got from him to back in 2016 which my fish love grazing on and my smaller fish swim through as there's a hole on the back side to you can't see.
20161226_214421.jpg

Attachments

• 2012-01-14_12-39-21_688.jpg
    2012-01-14_12-39-21_688.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Did some test for the first time.

Salinity 36 PSU/35 PPT

Ca 450

Alk 13

Mg 1350

Nitrate 10

PO4 0.03

For Ca and Alk I use kalk in my ATO and looks like I could reduce it from being fully saturated. The ATO runs 24/7 spread out pretty well too. I don't allow it to run more then 5 seconds at a time with at least 10 minute between runs.

Mg I add about 1/4 cup to my water change water of Instant Ocean that changes out about 30% monthly at about 1% daily. IO has an Alk around 10-11 so I could add some muriatic acid to reduce this a bit too. I've done this before until my stonies started taking off.

I feed super heavy. I have an Apex AFS that runs at 11am, 3:30pm, and 9pm with two turns each time. Filled with NLS little pellets.

I put in at least one 8x8 sheet of nori every day. Sometimes twice or three times.

I feed at least one cube of something meaty everyday. Sometimes 2 or 3.

My fish then feed the corals and disgustingly themselves as well with their own poop. They go nuts chasing each other when they see something starting to come out or they smell it. I'm pretty sure that's all my yellow tail damsel eats.

Between water changes and food my trace elements should be taken care of.

I do dose Iron. So, I'm sure that's elevated above natural sea water levels.

I dose vinegar as well which the acetic acid can be consumed by many things.

Nutrient export is obviously the ATSs that are both doing great and the water changes. No more skimmer right now. No socks. No mats. I
don't vacuum out and clean the sump.

Did some test for the first time.

Salinity 36 PSU/35 PPT

Ca 450

Alk 13

Mg 1350

Nitrate 10

PO4 0.03

For Ca and Alk I use kalk in my ATO and looks like I could reduce it from being fully saturated. The ATO runs 24/7 spread out pretty well too. I don't allow it to run more then 5 seconds at a time with at least 10 minute between runs.

Mg I add about 1/4 cup to my water change water of Instant Ocean that changes out about 30% monthly at about 1% daily. IO has an Alk around 10-11 so I could add some muriatic acid to reduce this a bit too. I've done this before until my stonies started taking off.

I feed super heavy. I have an Apex AFS that runs at 11am, 3:30pm, and 9pm with two turns each time. Filled with NLS little pellets.

I put in at least one 8x8 sheet of nori every day. Sometimes twice or three times.

I feed at least one cube of something meaty everyday. Sometimes 2 or 3.

My fish then feed the corals and disgustingly themselves as well with their own poop. They go nuts chasing each other when they see something starting to come out or they smell it. I'm pretty sure that's all my yellow tail damsel eats.

Between water changes and food my trace elements should be taken care of.

I do dose Iron. So, I'm sure that's elevated above natural sea water levels.

I dose vinegar as well which the acetic acid can be consumed by many things.

Nutrient export is obviously the ATSs that are both doing great and the water changes. No more skimmer right now. No socks. No mats. I
don't vacuum out and clean the sump.
I like your numbers. They'd only be a problem with low nutrients so I wouldn't necessarily change things other than diluting your kalk as you suggested. I personally switched to a doser for kalk and put mag in my ATO and that's working for me.

@jason2459 @kharmaguru How are you guys dosing your Kalk? I'm still going old school with a Zoo Med dripper. Looking into automating it a bit. As I've mentioned in many threads, I still do a lot of things the old school way, Metal Halides, dripping kalk, etc. Thanks to a used Apex and Sean's help, I've come a bit more into automation.

@jason2459 @kharmaguru How are you guys dosing your Kalk? I'm still going old school with a Zoo Med dripper. Looking into automating it a bit. As I've mentioned in many threads, I still do a lot of things the old school way, Metal Halides, dripping kalk, etc. Thanks to a used Apex and Sean's help, I've come a bit more into automation.
I'm just using that cheap Jebao dp-4 doser we talked about before. Based on my alk consumption. Other than cleaning the heads and occasionally snipping off the end of the dosing line, it has been solid.

I remember the zoo med dripper! Got bad advice from an LFS on that though and was dripping kalk (about a zoo med container a week) into my 26 bow front with absolutely nothing in it but a few fish and some softies lmao (and I wondered why I had issues 🤣)

Back